Electric Mopeds/motorcycle/scooter charging on Motorhomes. Charging (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Thinking of getting an electric moped/bikes/scooter to take in the garage. I mean like a alternative to a 50cc petrol moped. Is it feasible to charge these from the 240v output on the MH or will that be too much? Wondering it it might be possible to rig it up to charge whilst on the move? Or will I just be restricted to using the hook up when at a campsite?

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
yes with suitable charger, usually supplied with bike,

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
You would need to post the specification of the supplied charger for anyone to give a definitive answer, but I would say yes, almost certainly ok while on hook-up in the UK, provided you don't turn on too many other things at the same time. Continental hook-ups often supply less amperage than UK ones, so charger spec becomes more important to know.

With the right kit, it might be possible to charge on the move, but I wouldn't even hazard a guess without knowing the charger spec.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Using an Inverter whilst driving enables us to charge 2 eBike batteries...via the eBike chargers....on hookup also no problem...

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
This is a Lexmoto electric scooter. The batteries can be taken out and charged on a normal 240 V. I just don't have any details of what consumption of the charger would be. They probably take more than your normal E bike I assume because it will be a bigger/more powerful battery. It'll be fine on hook up, just wondering how charging from the van 240 V supply would work.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I m quite happy to be corrected as I do not KNOW, but think that even with a previous 2001 driving licence you need to take a CBT within 2 years.

Somebody will come along and factually acknowledge or correct me on this one so you may be able to ignore or have to think about passing CBT and then full licence as I think that CBT only lasts 2 years. I last looked into this about 5 years ago for the wife, and memory is fading, but it might come into your decision making

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I’d stick with ebikes if I were you. Electric mopeds are very slow particularly if you are two up, which is dangerous in my view.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Using an Inverter whilst driving enables us to charge 2 eBike batteries...via the eBike chargers....on hookup also no problem...
Do you have a b2b supplying the leisure batteries whilst driving too Jumar?

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I m quite happy to be corrected as I do not KNOW, but think that even with a previous 2001 driving licence you need to take a CBT within 2 years.

Somebody will come along and factually acknowledge or correct me on this one so you may be able to ignore or have to think about passing CBT and then full licence as I think that CBT only lasts 2 years. I last looked into this about 5 years ago for the wife, and memory is fading, but it might come into your decision making

If you have a oldies licence like me ~(not sure how old but certainly fine at my age of late 50's) you can drive a 50cc moped on your car licence with no L plates and no need for CBT. (the electric scooter comes under the same rules as it is limited to 1500W/30 mph)

I thought about doing the CBT and getting a 125cc but then you would need L plate and wouldn't be able to take my wife on the back. So that would mean taking the full test - and as you say - within 2 years anyway.

I might do that in the long run as I quite fancy a proper motor bike but for now we just wan;t a little runabout when off travelling. Used scooters a lot in Asia and love it!!!

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I’d stick with ebikes if I were you. Electric mopeds are very slow particularly if you are two up, which is dangerous in my view.

I have been told electric scooter is better than a petrol with 2 up. I can believe this as the unladen wieght is quite a bit lower (70KG over 83KG ) and take a higher 'payload'.

Had considered electric bikes but surely they are slower - they must have some legal limit?

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I have been told electric scooter is better than a petrol with 2 up. I can believe this as the unladen wieght is quite a bit lower (70KG over 83KG ) and take a higher 'payload'.

Had considered electric bikes but surely they are slower - they must have some legal limit?
ebikes are slower but you have more control. An electric moped at around 90kg plus two people would be lucky to do 30 mph particularly up hills. A 50 cc moped derestricted with a decent exhaust could achieve 40 mph.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you have a oldies licence like me ~(not sure how old but certainly fine at my age of late 50's) you can drive a 50cc moped on your car licence with no L plates and no need for CBT. (the electric scooter comes under the same rules as it is limited to 1500W/30 mph)

I thought about doing the CBT and getting a 125cc but then you would need L plate and wouldn't be able to take my wife on the back. So that would mean taking the full test - and as you say - within 2 years anyway.

I might do that in the long run as I quite fancy a proper motor bike but for now we just wan;t a little runabout when off travelling. Used scooters a lot in Asia and love it!!!
That could be where I was getting confused as we were on the 125 so different rules.

Just thought it was worth pointing out, but you have already done your research

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The answer is, no you can’t. Well, not unless you have an inverter fitted you can’t.

With an inverter fitted, you could but you’ll need to have a reasonable size battery bank.

Ian

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

Can you take the wife as a pillion on a 50cc with just your car licence ?

Having a 110 cc Suzuki Address, I wouldnt consider anything under that power, but that suits what we do on a motorbike, as sometimes we might do 100 miles in a day up and down mountains. The Address comes in at just under 100 kgs but would bring with it the complications of the licence issues you have researched.

Best of luck with it

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
There is a limit to the e push bikes and it is supposed to be 15.5 mph off of 250 watts of power.

Now i have poo pooed these ebikes for quite some time, til i succumbed and bought a tandem electric folding up bike (which will soon be for sale) and loved it but didnt suit our needs so bought two proper electric bikes. I dont poo poo them anymore

Given the choice of ebikes, electric scooter youre looking at, and an Address with licensing issues, I wouldnt think about the electric scooter.

Things that would come into my decision making of your scenario are the Address or equivelent are range, speed, safety in comparison, (couple of grand brand new and 0%) more weight
Ebikes, 2 bikes far more expensive, so much more convenient abroad, healthier, range is significantly more than the escooter.
E scooter, less outlay, less performance (55 mile range maximum will be 30 mile before you have to fill up a full battery, limiting ability to go anywhere because of range
Actual electric scooter (ones we had as kids) (we have one of them as well) would be another worthy look at if you are only intending on using it abroad as nobody cares about whether they are legal or not out there and they will go as fast as you care to pay out for and you can get seats but you would need 2

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Do you have a b2b supplying the leisure batteries whilst driving too Jumar?
No....I have a Battery master.....the inverter is connected to my single leisure battery...I was advised to do this by some information I received here on Fun...

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
This is a Lexmoto electric scooter. The batteries can be taken out and charged on a normal 240 V. I just don't have any details of what consumption of the charger would be. They probably take more than your normal E bike I assume because it will be a bigger/more powerful battery. It'll be fine on hook up, just wondering how charging from the van 240 V supply would work.

This scooter has two batteries, which are 48V 24Ah. That makes them 48 x 24 = 1152Wh each. That makes them the same capacity as a 1152/12 = 96Ah 12 Volt battery.

Two of these batteries give it a range of 55 miles. To charge from flat from a 12V supply would require 2 x 96 = 192Ah plus efficiency losses from the 12V system, so that would be 220Ah minimum.

With a 60A B2B that would require nearly 4 hours of driving.

I'd imagine the mains charger will charge one battery in 2 hours, so that's about 600 watts for 2 hours, which is just less than 3 amps of mains electric. That's only a guess, I don't have the charger spec.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back