Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Made up a 'in line' electric meter yesterday so that I can keep and eye on our usage at Winter Camp in Spain this year. Site long term rate includes 2kw of energy a day and then when you depart the following year they calculate on your final settling up payment how much extra you may need to pay. There is no meter at the EHU point, like a lot of sites now it's monitored from the reception. You can always ask at reception but they never seemed to be able to work it out in what seems like any sort of accurate way!

If anyone is having or knows of someone having a new meter fitted at home then ask the engineer for the old one as they only get scrapped.

Yes, waterproof container was last nights take-a-way :rolleyes:.

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Interesting, does it have a reset button on it ?

I suppose it would be possible to mount it inside the van prior to the consumer unit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp

I suppose it would be possible to mount it inside the van prior to the consumer unit.

No reset button so you just need to jot down the reading. We've been back from our last travels about ten days and I was surprised that when I fired it up it used almost a kilowatt in a few hours with no electrics on except the elektroblok! Maybe my leisure battery is on the way out :(.

Going to try with the fridge on today...exciting stuff!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp

I thought about that but it would have meant some alterations to woodwork and wiring to be able to mount it where it could be read easily in the wardrobe. As I had a couple of spare connectors I decided to go down this route...plus can keep it if change the van

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Just found some on eBay. Maybe I should make some up and flog em in Spain!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You can buy new ones for next to nothing.

If you felt the need for one and had the space then it seems to me that a DIN rail mounted one in your consumer unit would be the tidiest way of doing it.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Good idea - but if site reception can't "update" you, what's going to happen when their reading disagrees with yours - as it surely will:eek:

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
You can buy new ones for next to nothing.

If you felt the need for one and had the space then it seems to me that a DIN rail mounted one in your consumer unit would be the tidiest way of doing it.

Are you suggesting I'm a 'bodger' ;).

4352787005_a7a59e9339_z.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Are you suggesting I'm a 'bodger' ;).

View attachment 122320

The DIN rail mounted ones, like the first one on the list if you click the link in my post, are definitely the neatest way of doing the job whether in a building or a vehicle. The problem is that I'm not sure how many motorhome 230v consumer units would have the space for one. I know I couldn't fit one in mine.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Good idea - but if site reception can't "update" you, what's going to happen when their reading disagrees with yours - as it surely will:eek:
Precisely....doesn't matter what your reading is you will be charged by their reading.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
They'll explain that their Spanish meter is much better than the "slow" British one you've installed and that it hasn't caught up with the superior faster Spanish electricity :D

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
It's just so I can keep an eye on our usage not to use in anyway to argue over a couple of kilowatts. Many folk used there fridge on gas so as to reduce their daily allowance whereas I preferred to run our modest sized one on the electric. It's nice to use other items over a long stay like electric kettle, slow cooker etc. It will hopefully at least eliminate getting a nasty shock after 4/5 months!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Electric kettle !!!! - never used one in my 40 years of camping. What's wrong with gas, just as quick. Agree we use EHU for the fridge and to keep the 12v system charged up.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Electric kettle !!!! - never used one in my 40 years of camping. What's wrong with gas, just as quick. Agree we use EHU for the fridge and to keep the 12v system charged up.

Well, excuse is...it was in the van when we bought it!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
What a good idea, just ordered. I will fit it inside permanently though.

I did wonder if I should have done it that way...had a look today and can be done...maybe on the next rainy day!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
One thing to be aware of is that the meter is designed for cable tails of 25mm not the 2.5mm cable size common on EHU lead. Need some way of 'bulking' it up...get your thinking cap on Brian @hilldweller

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back