Electric in spain (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2016
kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 810G
Exp
since 2003
Hi we are off to spain for the first time in jan 19 how does the electric work on there sites is it included or do you pay after your stay?as the site wants to take a deposite of 300 euros for what?

Joe

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If you stay just a few days they will charge you a rate that takes into account the electric - Its not free but you don't have to pay anymore money out except the daily site charge.

You will probably (but not always) get a 6amp connection.

If you stay a month the daily rate will be lower and they will meter your electric usage. You may now get 10amp supply.

During the winter in Spain the sites are very busy and those near a town/beach will probably be full.

They probably want to charge a deposit because if you don't show they could have let the plot out to someone else.

If you use ACSI the site fee with electric will be somewhere around 19 euro. That may be best up to a couple of weeks but stay longer and the site "long stayers" rate plus metered electric may well be cheaper.

They might want paying each month but definitely at the end of your stay.

Tell them how long you want to stay and ask what is the best deal. :xThumb:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It varies , a lot charge around 0.4 cents per kw. Some will include a certain amount especially if you are getting the ACSI rate. That will usually include 4kw per day. It should say on your paperwork or on the website of the campsite. There's no one size fits all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I will give you an example of how it works for us here on Bonterra at Benicassim...

Bonterra is an independent campsite but it also honours the ACSI rate. The ACSI rate is currently €19 per night and includes 4 units of 10 amp electricity per night.

If you turn up without a booking and produce your ACSI card this is the rate you pay unless you ask to stay for longer than 30 days in which case they offer you a reduced rate but without any electricity allowance.

We booked online with them for 55 nights about a week before we were due to arrive and they matched the ACSI rate and multiplied that by 55 and requested a 25% deposit which we paid online.

When we arrived at reception they offered us the original rate or a reduced rate of €16.50 per night with no electricity allowance which we opted for.

To gauge the cost effectiveness of this we used gas for heating, cooking and boiling water and electric on our fridge freezer for the first week and this gave us a meter reading of 28 units for the week.
We then switched the fridge freezer to gas the next weeks electric meter reading was 3 units for the week. This has continued at 3 or 4 units per week until the present time.

My first 11 kg Repsol propane ( €17.50 on site or cheaper at a filling station) lasted 17 nights, my second one lasted 13 nights as it was a little cooler in the evenings so the heating was on for an hour or so.

Electricity on site is charged at €0.40 per unit and they read the meter after a month and give you a bill for your pitch fees plus electricity less any deposit you have paid. When you leave the site, they read the meter and give you a bill for any remaining pitch nights plus electricity costs.

Hope this helps but bear in mind that these sites are independent and have different pricing policies with the only thing being standard is the ACSI rate.

Barry

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Only used metered electric a couple of times and felt I was being ripped off. We won't stay on sites like that now, either the electricity is included in the rate or we don't hook up. However staying more than a week is alien to us and to be honest we don't care for these all singin' all dancin' sites either - peace and quiet for us thankyou very much. However each to his own, it's a free world.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We found the way electricity is charged for varies from site to site in Spain. Staying at ACSI sites charging either €17 or €19 per night during October and November, we found some allowed unlimited consumption of electric and at others it was rationed to 4kw/hours per day, then charged extra above that. Guess one of the factors was whether the hook-ups were individually metered

Apparently, the British tend to have higher consumption than other nationalities, or so I'm told... :)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We are staying on a campsite in Spain with metered electric . Our weekly cost is about €3. Purchase Spanish gas at €15.60 per bottle which we run for nearly everything. It lasts about 2 weeks then sell the empty bottle for €8 and buy another full one. Can be expensive using electric only as my neighbour has found at €21 per week.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
We are staying on a campsite in Spain with metered electric . Our weekly cost is about €3. Purchase Spanish gas at €15.60 per bottle which we run for nearly everything. It lasts about 2 weeks then sell the empty bottle for €8 and buy another full one. Can be expensive using electric only as my neighbour has found at €21 per week.

Could that have been you and your wife, my wife and I and dog was talking to today outside Arena Blanca about this exact topic :xThumb:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
For what it’s worth we’ve been doing this now for the last six years we have never pre booked a site although we don’t do Beni or Algarve. We use mainly ACSI site but also the private sites will give good deals for longer stays. We have now pitched at a site in Tarifa next to the beach all in with two dogs €20 per night.:xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back