Booboy

Free Member
Mar 11, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
High top
Exp
Hi all, sorry I haven't visited the site for ages, but I've been looking to buy a motorhome. I've finally found one that suits me (a Swift Mondial RL) at wellsbridge motorhomes.

Now to the point of this thread, electric hookups.
I know if can be difficult to know if you might trip the site's electric when you switch on the kettle and toaster together for breakfast, so here is my solution.

I bought an inline power meter (the Energie ENER007, other brands are available) for about £13 on ebay.
With this, I can see EXACTLY how much power (in Watts and Amps) any appliance is using. I tested all my appliances, then I printed labels with the power drawn by each appliance and stuck them on.
Now if I want to have several appliances on at the same time, I can tally up the total amperage that will be drawn, and ensure that I don't exceed the site's supply.
Works for me, and I hope it will work for you too!:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
its a good idea originally mooted by Scotjimland, so you are reinventing the wheel but never mind it does no harm to remind people especially newcomers who may not have seen the original thread on the use of the "OWL" monitor.

OP
OP
Booboy

Booboy

Free Member
Mar 11, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
High top
Exp
OK, thanks for the heads up Wildman.
I did do a quick search for this subject before posting, but I didn't see the post you have mentioned.
Anyway, as you say, it is worth bringing up again for newer members (like me), or older members who may be a little 'forgetful' ( once again, sadly, like me):cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi all, sorry I haven't visited the site for ages, but I've been looking to buy a motorhome. I've finally found one that suits me (a Swift Mondial RL) at wellsbridge motorhomes.

Now to the point of this thread, electric hookups.
I know if can be difficult to know if you might trip the site's electric when you switch on the kettle and toaster together for breakfast, so here is my solution.

I bought an inline power meter (the Energie ENER007, other brands are available) for about £13 on ebay.
With this, I can see EXACTLY how much power (in Watts and Amps) any appliance is using. I tested all my appliances, then I printed labels with the power drawn by each appliance and stuck them on.
Now if I want to have several appliances on at the same time, I can tally up the total amperage that will be drawn, and ensure that I don't exceed the site's supply.
Works for me, and I hope it will work for you too!:thumb:

Hi ..

Would I be correct that this is the model you are suggesting ? This will work on one appliance at a time.. unless you use a four way.. but won't take into acccount the charger or fridge current..

ENER007_NEW_d.jpg

A better idea is the Owl Wireless Monitor.. it measures everything that is using amps , charger, fridge etc. easy to fit a, it has a small clamp that is placed around either brown or blue (makes no odds) incoming supply at the mains box.. You can set the alarm to whatever level you want.. for example on a 16amp EHU = 3,680 watts I set mine to alarm at 3,000 watt ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Owl-Connectivity-CM160-Wireless-Electricity/dp/B0041H6VXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401554942&sr=8-1&keywords=owl+wireless+energy

51jQAvt9R5L._SY450_.jpg

Shop around they may be other makes that are cheaper..

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Or you could just carry on blissfully unaware that you may do something ,I've not managed yet,and trip the electric!:Eeek:
But then again let's find something else to worry about and another gadget we don't really need:RollEyes:

Vlad

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I just look at the label on the equipment..
They almost all state their wattage...

It is a good idea to know what things consume, then when on a low power hook up you can avoid tripping....:thumb:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I always ask the Site Owner what Amp the EHU's are as I book on and if they're 10 - 16A then I've always been OK unless there are problems on the site itself.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +

It is a good idea to know what things consume, then when on a low power hook up you can avoid tripping....:thumb:

Me too, been doing it that way for years!

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003

Not easy on some of the sites in Italy with a massive 3 amp supply, I'm in and out of the wagon like a jack rabbit, even considered (for a moment) switching the beer fridge off, but cold showers it will be.:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
............. let's find something else to worry about and another gadget we don't really need:RollEyes:

Vlad

You're absolutely correct .. you don't need it.. careful mental calculating and monitoring and you won't need to worry.. . but if not, and tripping the leccy means a trip to the site owner or warden who may not be on duty .. it is very useful.. but certainly not essential .

But it's like lots of things people buy that I don't.. .. for example, I don't concern myself with reverse polarity, I don't buy bottled water, I don't have a SOG.. nor a toad, motorbike, leccy cycle, mobility scooter, iPad, MiFi , Wifi, Oyster sat dish, Dome dish, Sat Internet, I don't read The Mail, or do crosswords..and a hundred other things that I don't need or buy .. that others deem essential ..

Each to their own.... why you feel it necessary to down someone who has a good idea that you don't need I don't understand.

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Wasn't downing somebody,just pointing out it's a solution to a problem I've never had,and possibly a good few others too.
I was Just voicing an opinion,people may see posts and feel they need such equipment I was just pointing out,you don't .
If the poster has heavy power usage and has found a solution to a problem he experiences,well done ,I'm just the Ying to his Yang!:winky:

Vlad

Stevewin999

Free Member
Feb 9, 2014
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Mirada RV
Exp
Wasn't downing somebody,just pointing out it's a solution to a problem I've never had,and possibly a good few others too.
I was Just voicing an opinion,people may see posts and feel they need such equipment I was just pointing out,you don't .
If the poster has heavy power usage and has found a solution to a problem he experiences,well done ,I'm just the Ying to his Yang!:winky:

Vlad

I am with you on this Vlad. Only second year into motor homing in an RV and had no probs. I like to have all the bits that make life comfortable but some are not needed, my OCD would drive me mad with stickers on stuff showing electric drainage! And would all the skickers line up etc lol. But each to their own I suppose. Now where's my torch and fuse wire???
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back