Electric hook up (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
You are correct.. sadly there are those who have that attitude.. but I can assure you, lowering prices won't change that one iota..

as an example..

I have friends who own and run a CL.. (they also both work full time) ..

in 2008 they were charging £10 per night, inc leccy.. at the end of the financial year they were in deep debt with a HUGE electric bill.. which they had to borrow money to pay off.

In 2009 , they put the pitch fee up to £12 to try to cover the electric ... and still made a loss.

I advised them to fit meters.. and in 2011 they fitted 'pay to use' card meters.. rate was set at the current retail price of 14p per kwh..

they reduced the site fee to £10, and for the first time in years.. they not only broke even but made a profit.... and no big surprise electric bills.

At first there were the 'usual' complainers.. the ones who expect to heat a van 24/7 and have the site pay. .. but now almost everyone thinks it's a good idea.. those who don't.... don't come back.. but it must be popular as they are pretty much fully booked all year..

I'd be happy to stay there. They would have my support :thumb:

Perhaps I'm too naive eh? I did know a guy who boasted that he left a 3kw fan heater on in a tent for a week. I assumed that morons were a small percentage of the population.

That said it would take ten minutes to swap to a 6 amp MCB.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
...then heard a clicking sound - 500w inverter had taken over as the mains electric had gone off - cost me a new inverter !:Eeek:

The worst site I have ever been on and the most expensive (new inverter):Angry:

So the inverter kicks in via a relay? No EHU power and it flicks over? Why did it go wrong?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
not many sites can run 3KW lucky if you get 16amp
most sites charge more than the average can use so as not to loose money and to recoup investment cost

not many in the UK or abroad ?

In the UK, Yes.. there are a number who are only 10A but by far the majority that I've used are 16A which = 3.68kw

All camps sites are a business, and like any business, it either makes a profit or closes..
Setting up a camp site with even modest facilities costs mega bucks.. they must recoup the capital outlay, provided enough income to run and maintain.. and make a profit.. .. otherwise no one would invest..
Like any business, you have the choice to patronise or not..

As an aside..
On this evenings news, due to closing down old coal fired power stations and nuclear reactors which are coming to the end of their life.. there will be a greater dependency on imported expensive LNG for gas fueled generators, which means electricity prices are set to rise and rise .... so site fees are bound to follow..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
In the UK, Yes.. there are a number who are only 10A but by far the majority that I've used are 16A which = 3.68kw
We're on a campsite thats only 10 amps so have to be careful what we run on that, during the night we run a oscillating fan at 1.5 kw 6.25 amps (approx) that only leaves 3.75 which doesn't leave a lot for much else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back