Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hi

This is my first winter of motor-homing, I keep my m/h on the drive and have an oil filled radiator set on frost protect to keep the worst of the cold out. My question is, will it cause any problems leaving the m/h on hook up for extended periods. Any advice much appreciated.

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
It depends on what type of charger the motorhome has .Modern smart chargers will not overcharge the battries and infact can be left connected all the time and will not harm the battrey.The older type of charger can overcook the battrey and eventually damage it.I have a 14yr old Hymer and would not leave the charger on all the time.
Sid

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hi and welcome.

I'm like Dave above, I leave the van on hook-up all the time and in the winter use a thermostat heater. Did the same with my caravan for years. Only difference is with the van I switch from leisure battery to chassis battery once a week for 24 hours to keep everything topped up.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
If your MH is fitted with a fixed voltage power supply rather than a three-stage charger, then it could result in an overcharged battery. This is not necessarily a problem as you can switch the charger on for say, just one day every two weeks while making sure there are no loads on the battery to discharge it when not on charge.

One way to establish a routine is to first charge the battery fully, switch off and next morning check what the no-load battery voltage is. It should be 12.6V to perhaps 12.9V.

Check the voltage every couple of days (or less often if little change) and when the voltage drops by about 0.2 V, the charge has dropped to about 75% so it is time to switch the charger on for say 12 hours.

Only way to know for sure is to get the details of the charger and let us know here, or go to the manufacturers web site and check the specifications.

If the battery is in an external locker and subject to freezing conditions, it is important to keep it charged as a flat battery can easily freeze and be wrecked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi

This is my first winter of motor-homing, I keep my m/h on the drive and have an oil filled radiator set on frost protect to keep the worst of the cold out. My question is, will it cause any problems leaving the m/h on hook up for extended periods. Any advice much appreciated.

Hi Golly. Ours is on hook up when ever it not in use. With no problem at all. As a suggestion We keep a dehuemidifier in it and turn it on 2 or 3 days a month over the winter. Keeps all things cumfy and snug
Pudseykeith.
PS Welcome to the Fun. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hi, Thanks for that, I never thought of a de humidifier, I was going to put 2 or 3 of the moisture absorber type things in but the humidifier sounds like a better idea. :thumb:

regards John

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back