Morrissp

Free Member
May 28, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo Time
Exp
Hi, we have just swopped our caravan for a Burstner Ixeo Time, and have it parked on our drive. So far i have left it connected on hook up, but wondered if that was good for it?
What does everyone else do, just connect regularly and before going away or leave connected?

Any help would be appreciated

Steve

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I was told by the repair people for the charging system (forgot the name - based in Wales) that you should not keep it on charge. Only plug it in when the voltage on the battery's drop to 12.2 V . I tend to switch mine on about every two weeks for 24 hours. I have a Burstner T660

OP
OP
Morrissp

Morrissp

Free Member
May 28, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo Time
Exp
Thanks for the quick response

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 23, 2014
Naarfook
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
5 years
I have mine plugged in all the time on a timer, it comes on for an hour a day,had no problems.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I think it depends on the type of charger.
I plan to get rid of my old zig 7 unit as it's making a funny buzzing noise now for some reason.
I've bought an Amperor 3 stage power supply/charger which I believe will look after the batteries, like a ctek or optimate does.
I plan to leave it plugged in on our drive.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm no expert but generally, provided your battery charger is modern and working correctly, it should reduce to just trickle charge once fully charged. As you shouldn't let batteries fall below 50% charge, and it's surprising how fast that can happen due to all sorts of reasons, it's got to be much better to leave the van hooked up (one of the reasons I fitted solar and a battery mate). It also reduces the number of recharging cycles so in theory the battery should last longer.The latest chargers are all-singing and all-dancing and are programmed to look after your battery using various charging regimes.

You should also ensure the vehicle battery is being charged as well as the leisure battery. Some chargers have this capability or there are other methods which have been outlined in other posts. Search on "Leisure Batteries" or similar.

If you're at all uncertain, though, just do as suggested above and fit a timer for a few hours per week.

OP
OP
Morrissp

Morrissp

Free Member
May 28, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo Time
Exp
I just checked the manual and it states: When the vehicle is connected to the 230 V power supply, the transformer/rectifier charges the starter battery with a float charge only.
The controller/charger is an Elektroblock EBL 99.
I think the timer is a great idea, so will fit one of those

Steve

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
When at home I have MH on 247/365 charge to batteries. Modern Mh have a smart charger that will drop charge to a trickle so keeping batteries in good order. Stealaway whoever told you they should NOT keep it on charge is talking our their arse........... to keep batteries good they must be charged or trickle charged ALL the time ( when not in use ). 22+ years in Army ( Royal Signals ) where batteries were the main part of my radio vehicle gives me enough credit to know what I'm talking about ( I think...... )

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Won't be a problem with an Elektroblock, our last Hymer I used to leave it plugged in all the time until I fitted solar panels, batteries were still as good as new at 6 years old.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back