terryandelaine

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Malton
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euro Yacht 180
Exp
Is it okay to leave the van hooked up to the electric at home for long periods of time, ie a couple of weeks? I am sure I have read on here somewhere that it's not a good idea but can't find the thread again, or maybe I just imagined it.
Hubby has had van hooked up for a week and I don't want to say wrong thing!
Thanks
Elaine

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Mine is on 24/7 when not being used --just keep a monthly check on Battery fluid levels (y)
terry

Upvote 0

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I always have ours permanently hooked up at home - never had a problem.

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
If you were on site, away for a couple of weeks or more, what's the difference. (y)

Upvote 0

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Mine's been on EHU for almost two months and will be on for another three as we go to the US tomorrow. :D

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Is it okay to leave the van hooked up to the electric at home for long periods of time, ie a couple of weeks? I am sure I have read on here somewhere that it's not a good idea but can't find the thread again, or maybe I just imagined it.
Thanks
Elaine

Check if you've got a smart multi-stage charger before leaving on 24/7. Otherwise, you can wear the batteries and will need to spend time topping up.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks
Elaine

Shame on you woman. Sneaking behind the back of He Who Must Be Obeyed and questioning his omnipotent judgement.

Now that you have seen the error of your ways, repent on your sins and never do it again.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
People leave their vans hooked up most of the year when on seasonal sites, not much difference to leaving it hooked up at home except you are paying for the electric.:)

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I now have solar panels, so no longer use EHU at home.
When on EHU the battery monitor showed a constant voltage of 13.7V and a charge current of 0.1A. That's into two 105AH batteries, I assumed the current was close to the internal discharge, so could be left connected indefinitely without damage to the batteries.
Incidentally, my power monitor showed the EHU was taking about 8 Watts.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Think it's necessary for some electric input when you have manufacturer engine immobiliser & any kind of fitted alarm that runs off the battery otherwise flat engine battery or security system might not work when you need it . We have ours on EHU when covered & not in use but just topped up off solar panel (with Battery Master) for the rest of the time. Know that there are covers on the market with clear roof sections that allow the solar panel to work but would have to be bespoke so just too much money! Not sure how much electricity trickle charging the battery on EHU uses though especially over the winter when hardly used - we left a greenhouse heater on in our caravan when not in use & although low wattage as it was on all the time it added up to an extra £50 on our electricity bill! The timer idea sounds good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
terryandelaine

terryandelaine

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Malton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Check if you've got a smart multi-stage charger before leaving on 24/7. Otherwise, you can wear the batteries and will need to spend time topping up.

Think this must be the kind of thing I had read. Thank you for the information.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
terryandelaine

terryandelaine

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Malton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Shame on you woman. Sneaking behind the back of He Who Must Be Obeyed and questioning his omnipotent judgement.

Now that you have seen the error of your ways, repent on your sins and never do it again.

Ha ha. It pains me to say this but he is always right, so annoying!

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I now have solar panels, so no longer use EHU at home.
When on EHU the battery monitor showed a constant voltage of 13.7V and a charge current of 0.1A. That's into two 105AH batteries, I assumed the current was close to the internal discharge, so could be left connected indefinitely without damage to the batteries.
Incidentally, my power monitor showed the EHU was taking about 8 Watts.

Charging at 13.7V is very slightly on the high side for a float. 13.5V would be more comfortable, but you'll probably be OK, especially if you keep an eye on water levels.

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
think the difference between leaving on at home rather than on site for long period is that on site you will be using the power so not just charging the battery but don't think it will do any harm and as said provided you keep a check on the battery then should be okay.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back