LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Just a thought after watching the weeks events regarding the weather.....
Ok, we did venture out in the white stuff, making sure we had all the essentials.... you know, warm clothes, drinks etc, and a full tank of fuel.
Now watching the poor sods who were stuck on the M62 for a good few hours, I’m assuming that most had the engines running to provide heat, batteries charged etc.
But what about Auntie Mayble, sat in her Nissan Leaf ?????
Does she carry a little Honda genny in the boot to keep the thing in a state of ready ness.;)
Or have the Traffic Wombles got a very long EHU cable....

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Or the drivers are that switched on that they took notice of all the weather warnings, did what they were advised and stayed at home. People knew this was coming and the forecasts were accurate about where it would hit and on which day. The authorities should be fining any driver caught out by this storm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Or the drivers are that switched on that they took notice of all the weather warnings, did what they were advised and stayed at home. People knew this was coming and the forecasts were accurate about where it would hit and on which day. The authorities should be fining any driver caught out by this storm.

Except for the ones who needed to be out like the plumber on his way to repair the boiler at the nursing home,,He would have probably got there if the road wasn't blocked with drivers who should have stayed home,,BUSBY,,

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Or eh, what about the tens of thousands that need to get to work, I manage supported living homes with 24 hour care, some of my staff got stuck this week desperately trying to get to work, we have a duty of care to provide support 24/7. Perhaps you would like to fine them whereby if no one were to support the customers, they would die.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Or eh, what about the tens of thousands that need to get to work, I manage supported living homes with 24 hour care, some of my staff got stuck this week desperately trying to get to work, we have a duty of care to provide support 24/7. Perhaps you would like to fine them whereby if no one were to support the customers, they would die.

There are many who battled to work that we would only notice if they hadn't arrived,,i.e. Power Station workers,,Truck Drivers,,nurses doctors,,meals on wheels etc etc ,,,Glad so many made it,,BUSBY,

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Do you know, I've never considered this! How do electric cars provide heat? When running an electric motor does generate a certain amount of heat, but I wouldn't have thought it was sufficient to heat the interior, so do they have a heater circuit? If so, surely that is going to severely deplete the battery in no time at all when not moving!

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Always laughed when I left home at 4am to drive across town to start a shift on the buses in the snow to find 10 or 15 people at every stop on a route that normally carries 12 or so for the whole trip. It's a good job I dug my car out and got on with the job. I'd previously done 12 hour shifts wearing full winter motorcycle gear( less skid lid) cause the buses were so cold ( leyland nationals and Bristol VRs).carry a shovel and bag of gravel in the car and just get on with it.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Do you know, I've never considered this! How do electric cars provide heat? When running an electric motor does generate a certain amount of heat, but I wouldn't have thought it was sufficient to heat the interior, so do they have a heater circuit? If so, surely that is going to severely deplete the battery in no time at all when not moving!
They sacrifice distance for the benefit of heat (or, indeed, air/con).

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Electric cars have BIG batteries and efficient electric heaters.

Ours (BMW i3) can stand in a queue of tragic for hours with the heater on.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
If companies are imperilling staff by forcing them to drive in blizzard conditions then yes I would expect the company to be fined.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
All electric vehicles have what you call a high voltage PTC heater, even Eberspacher manufacture them. They run off the high voltage system up to 500v DC and can provide hours upon hours of heat, albeit using up some of the range capability.

I’ve just bought a Smart Electric Drive so have been reading up on this very subject! (y)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If companies are imperilling staff by forcing them to drive in blizzard conditions then yes I would expect the company to be fined.

That's ridiculous, no one forced anybody, some staff got in, some didn't try. What about all the drivers who were ferrying doctors and nurses to hospitals, stop them and fine them as well.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The Teslas I believe use a combination of resistive heating and a heat pump. Heat pumps are very efficient and can run the car for hours on heat.
Remember your are likely to have driven a while already and got the car up to temperature. Keeping the car warm doesn't require the heating to be run at full blast.

Just for fun....

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Something that slipped under the wire with me too. But we still have the issue of recharging as fast as filling up with Petrol/Diesel/LPG. (Without Melting the charging cable!;)) Oh, and how we source the Power?. (From fossil fuels?) The wind might blow overnight, but the S-P`s on my `van dont seem to work in the dark.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Look at how this Tesla permorms in the snow

Watching that is quite impressive, however the idiot filming with with his phone would have been better served sat on the Bonnet to apply more mass and assist the traction of the front pair, which where barely doing any work.! Considering the fact that the tyres on modern cars are not suited to the conditions either. We notice that the ones doing best, where the older farmers landies etc with old pattern tyres and quite narrow tread.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Something that slipped under the wire with me too. But we still have the issue of recharging as fast as filling up with Petrol/Diesel/LPG. (Without Melting the charging cable!;)) Oh, and how we source the Power?. (From fossil fuels?) The wind might blow overnight, but the S-P`s on my `van dont seem to work in the dark.

It’s ok
Energy from waste
Tidal
Nuclear
Biomass
Wind power
Hydro

All work in the dark

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
All electric vehicles have what you call a high voltage PTC heater, even Eberspacher manufacture them. They run off the high voltage system up to 500v DC and can provide hours upon hours of heat, albeit using up some of the range capability.

irrespective of voltage, power used is measured in watts.. So any watts used to heat is deducted from the battery capacity ..
It may be highly efficient, but there is no heater or machine that is overunity.

Electric resistance heating is 100% energy efficient in the sense that all the incoming electric energy is converted to heat, a £10 electric convector is 100% efficient.

OP
OP
Mr B

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
It’s ok
Energy from waste
Tidal
Nuclear
Biomass
Wind power
Hydro

All work in the dark

Agree with all of the above, but getting the supply to the top of the M62!!!!
Running all that cable, road works, tree huggers saving the lesser natterjack, blue spotted whatever that lives at the motorways edge. Not gonna happen imo.
Or are the snowploughs going to be electric in the future, with reduced grit payload because of all the batteries:);)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Imagine the self-driving EV car stuck in the snow. Does the AI know what to do if it hasn't seen these conditions before? What will it prioritise, heat for passengers, or range? Does it just spin the wheels, keep trying to find grip, or shut down and send an SOS? Tell the passengers to start digging and pushing?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

You would be moaning if the roads were not gritted and you had no water gas or elec or food in the shops or a doctor or nurse if you needed one,,Some have or need to go to work,,, If you stay home then blocked roads won't affect you,,BUSBY,,

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Agree with all of the above, but getting the supply to the top of the M62!!!!
Running all that cable, road works, tree huggers saving the lesser natterjack, blue spotted whatever that lives at the motorways edge. Not gonna happen imo.
Or are the snowploughs going to be electric in the future, with reduced grit payload because of all the batteries:);)

For mamy electric car owners the infrastructure is already there - you just plug into a 13a socket at home and charge overnight

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
The Teslas I believe use a combination of resistive heating and a heat pump. Heat pumps are very efficient and can run the car for hours on heat.
Remember your are likely to have driven a while already and got the car up to temperature. Keeping the car warm doesn't require the heating to be run at full blast.

Just for fun....

Think it may be quite a while until i can afford one,,BUSBY,,

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
It does deplete battery! I have an Outlander PHEV (hybrid) The heater when turned on, starts the engine. I wouldn't consider all electric at the moment.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
There are many who battled to work that we would only notice if they hadn't arrived,,i.e. Power Station workers,,Truck Drivers,,nurses doctors,,meals on wheels etc etc ,,,Glad so many made it,,BUSBY,

Yes exactly, shall we start fining all those who were driving you mentioned above?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back