Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I tried an 'electrified' Brompton during our e-bike purchase research. Not an enjoyable experience and in all honestly pretty dam dangerous! The front loaded power pack made the bike feel extremely unstable and the riding experience was very poor other than on extremely smooth (very smooth) tarmac.

The bikes are ok....but in my opinion only for inner city cycle path type commuting; they certainly did not stand up to a test ride on a section of the Tarka Trail!

No disputing the quality of craftsmanship and design; however, I don't think they're a serious consideration for motorhomer's who are looking to enjoy a day out on the cycle trails away from the van.

In my view there are far better alternatives out there for the motorhomer looking at investing in a space saving e-bike......and a folding version would not be one of them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think the Brompton folds into the least space of all folders but not by a large margin. It’s a good bike to ride in standard form but is still a compromise over a traditional bike with more rigid frame and larger wheels. The best place for powered assistance is at the rear wheel, not the front, and the best place to power that wheel from is from the sprocket and not within the hub. So, if you want an e-bike, get a ‘proper’ one. With a Brompton you’re paying a premium for its compactness when collapsed (and British quality). I don’t think the additional cost of electric motor is worth it considering the way it’s been done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back