Electric bikes (1 Viewer)

Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
Just a quick one ,on the as bike when the battery gets low do the 3little green lights go out or what happens we just bought one at Malvern and it's great but the 3lights just stay on so I plugged it in to the charger and the charger was red so I left it on charge for about 3hrs and the light changed to green so are the little lights on the battery supposed to go out as it discharges or not ???

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We were told that they all stay green until the battery is almost flat and then go out in quick succession ...... then it's too late and you have to push it home!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have used ours for short and quite long trips but three green lights never gone out. These bikes have quite a long range (y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We have used ours for short and quite long trips but three green lights never gone out. These bikes have quite a long range (y)

Any particular recommendation Larry? I'm looking for one for Mrs BB with no background knowledge at all but can't have too much weight on a 35kg back rack.

octopush

Free Member
Sep 28, 2012
portsmouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2days
The lights on our battery go out one by one as the battery runs down so you know what the battery state is

We are very pleased with our bikes they look better than the A S bikes and have better controls than them.

They only weigh 26kg.

But you will not find any better after sales service than A S bikes.

We both have these

http://www.bicycles4u.com/product/europa_electric_bike_26

Great bike great price

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup, after 5 years of hard usage of our AS Bikes neither woman or I has ever managed to dowse a single LED !

We have found our bums give out around the 10 mile mark.. and that is LONG before the battery starts to drop off ..

In fact as we did not have hook up too often during the last trip the poor things only got charged up three or four times the whole month,, and they were used daily for quite long trips ( long for us, but we are no tour de france candidates ! )

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have flattened my AS bike battery - it took over 30 miles to do so (not on one day but over a few). After about 15 miles one light goes out and the second light goes out about 10 miles after that. When the battery does go flat you just use the bike like a normal push bike although it is heavier. Switch the electric bit off and pedal.

The range does depend very much on how much you use the electric and if you are using the "E" or "A" setting - and the terrain and how much you pedal!

I changed the saddle on my AS Bike as I need a bigger cut out for my tail bone. Had to have the lever that allows the saddle to tilt (so you can remove the battery) altered so it still works but the new saddle is the bees knees, dog's whatsits....... brilliant! You should NOT have a sore behind after just 10 miles - I have soft bones and a properly fitted saddle is a must for me. Sore legs are a possibility but you should not have a sore bottom with a saddle that is correctly fitted.

Men and women usually need different saddles and some bike shops have special saddle workshops which use memory foam to check the width of the saddle and the depth of the tail bone cut out required. Despite what you may think the outside of a person does not always match the inside and it is the bones that dictate the saddle shape rather than the width of your bottom.

When choosing a bike test it! Also decide if a folding bike would suit you better or worse than one that doesn't fold. What suits one person will not suit someone else.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
This is one electric bike I'd love to own :clap2:

mugen_electric_super_bike_d6qae.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Sorry Yorick but can't see the picture...... having typed that, do I want to see it?????

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Any particular recommendation Larry? I'm looking for one for Mrs BB with no background knowledge at all but can't have too much weight on a 35kg back rack.

I have the AS bike with the 26" wheels and Win has the one with smaller wheels as she otherwise would need a soap box to climb aboard.
Both perform well and will fold if necessary.

DiddyDoddy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
As bikes are great value,we bought ours about 3 months ago and have been all over the new forest we do have the 36v battery which is the best.
we have had the green led go down to on green light but that was after two days of solid use,and my bike has the doggyhut behind it.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I have the AS bike with the 26" wheels and Win has the one with smaller wheels as she otherwise would need a soap box to climb aboard.
Both perform well and will fold if necessary.

Many thanks will look in detail at those.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think that Yorick was referring to the Mugen electric TT bike used recently on the aisle of Man.......

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
One more try with URL

2014-isle-of-man-tt-mugen-shows-mc-guinness-tt-zero-shinden-san-electric-bike-79507-7.jpg

I also downloaded it below

Attachments

• mugen-shinden-ni-ready-to-take-on-the-iomtt_1.jpg
    mugen-shinden-ni-ready-to-take-on-the-iomtt_1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 4

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ah ha! I was right. Must be weird to ride one - ever had a go on one, Yorick? Would be interested to hear about it. Cheers

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Ah ha! I was right. Must be weird to ride one - ever had a go on one, Yorick? Would be interested to hear about it. Cheers
Not had a ride but watched them during the TT. The lack of sound is really wierd, and the speed was very deceptive. I think they touched around 160.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Back to the AS folder, does the Handlebar stem adjust vertically? My OH doesn't need the seat high, and so wouldn't like the handlebars particularly high. :RollEyes:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Back to the AS folder, does the Handlebar stem adjust vertically? My OH doesn't need the seat high, and so wouldn't like the handlebars particularly high. :RollEyes:

I don't think it does, but Dawn is - ahem - petite, and had no issues at all with the handlebar height at all. Worth trying one out. AS are at Lincoln and happy to let people try before they buy

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
AS are great at letting you try before you buy. Try a few and see what you think of the different makes and models.

One question to ask is how easy is it to get spare/replacement batteries and also check out how long the business has been operating. There isn't much point in buying an electric bike which has a custom battery and then finding the company has ceased trading when you need a new battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back