Free Member
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Considering an electric bike, want something reliable but don't really want to spend a fortune! Any suggestions? Thanks

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
Have a look at woosh bikes web site. My wife brought one last year so impressed I've just got one

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I find the leads on electric bikes are never long enough. :D2 (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Try as many as you can before you decide.

What suits one person might not suit another.

I got a properly fitted saddle for my bike - made a huge difference. It's worth asking at your local shop if they have a saddle fitting service where they measure your "sit bones" (you sit on memory foam and they measure the impression!) to establish the correct size.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Ebikes have moved on a bit in the last year or so and the better ones have the crank motors rather than either front or rear wheel hub motors. I don't think that the make is important if you have the better spec which would be a Shimano or Bosh crank motor and disc brakes.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The old addage applies IMO 'you get what you pay for'. Don't buy a twist and go chinese effort.

Last edited:

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
It seems that everyone here is, and thinks everyone else is, a millionaire. They make statements like the above and "unless you buy German and spend £2k". In my view it is all crap and relative. I was recommended to look at bicycles4u . I bought a £500( in fact that 2) twist and go from China, and it is brilliant! It is everything I need. I am not a cyclist as such, I needed bikes to put on the back of my van to enable us to cycle easily into town! Spend as much as you need to! Sorry but that is my humble view!

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
I was planning on towing my generator
I seem to remember someone did just that on a long trip they had a small generator in a trailer to recharge on the go. Can't remember what it was all about but does raise the question "is it a motor vehicle"?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I bought a £500( in fact that 2) twist and go from China, and it is brilliant! It is everything I need. I am not a cyclist as such, I needed bikes to put on the back of my van to enable us to cycle easily into town! Spend as much as you need to! Sorry but that is my humble view!

My reason for saying don't buy a twist and go is this :-

In the New Year, a bike purchased with a Twist and Go throttle will be reclassified by the DVLA as a scooter and will need Type Approval, meaning that bikes sold from this point are expected to be banned from Cycle Paths and may even need a registration plate.

And that was last September. You pays your money you takes your choice.;). Already banned in Spain btw.

Last edited:

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Hi but you added " Chinese effort" that is the bit I found annoying. Twist and go delivered and invoiced to the supplier before 1st Jan 2016 are ok. We also see from loads of funsters in Spain that the "ban" is not enforced. Anyway my battery will only take me 25kms so can't get to Dover let alone Spain. I intend using mine in Germany and Italy and as they work on pedal assist also, I will disable the twist and go if required. I repeat buy what you can afford and meets YOUR needs not the views of others.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The OP asked for suggestions. In my humble opinion, those made in China and imported by here today gone tomorrow dealers will be exactly that. Makes such as Raleigh, Giant, Kalkhoff, Haibike, Trek etc etc, are more sturdily built, have better distribution after sales support, and will be around long after TingTong twist&go makes are dead and gone.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The OP asked for suggestions. In my humble opinion, those made in China and imported by here today gone tomorrow dealers will be exactly that. Makes such as Raleigh, Giant, Kalkhoff, Trek etc etc, are more sturdily built, have better distribution after sales support, and will be around long after Ting Tong makes are dead and gone.
Unfortunately most bikes are made in China, Giant is a Taiwanese company but the majority of their bikes are made in China, Raleigh bikes are made in China and so on.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Anyone know the weight of a motus less the battery please?
Cannot find out on web!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
The OP asked for suggestions. In my humble opinion, those made in China and imported by here today gone tomorrow dealers will be exactly that. Makes such as Raleigh, Giant, Kalkhoff, Trek etc etc, are more sturdily built, have better distribution after sales support, and will be around long after Ting Tong makes are dead and gone.

Didn't they say that about Datsun...:whistle:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We were talking Twist & Go as I recall.
Giant has manufacturing facilities in Taiwan, the Netherlands, and China. Kalkhoff are made in Germany.
Trek has two manufacturing facilities in Wisconsin -- one in Waterloo and one in Whitewater. Overseas, it builds in Germany, Holland and China.
Haibike are made in Germany and cost an arm and a leg :eek:

Last edited:

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
This will be my last post on the matter, honest! The makes you mention may well be made in China, I believe Raleigh are as they haven't made bikes in the UK for years :-

Raleigh Bicycles may be British born, but it's been well over 10 years since its bikes have been made or assembled in the UK! They have just restarted making very expensive bike here, but most are imported.

As you said, you get what you pay for! If my bike packs in, I will probably fix it myself, or get a local guy to look at it. Bicycles4u have been in business a few years so perhaps not here today gone tomorrow, but for £500 I don't expect RollsRoyce quality, I am a realist!

Sorry but that's my humble view and advice to op.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
This will be my last post on the matter, honest! The makes you mention may well be made in China, I believe Raleigh are as they haven't made bikes in the UK for years :-

Raleigh Bicycles may be British born, but it's been well over 10 years since its bikes have been made or assembled in the UK! They have just restarted making very expensive bike here, but most are imported.

As you said, you get what you pay for! If my bike packs in, I will probably fix it myself, or get a local guy to look at it. Bicycles4u have been in business a few years so perhaps not here today gone tomorrow, but for £500 I don't expect RollsRoyce quality, I am a realist!

Sorry but that's my humble view and advice to op.

I think they are assembled in the UK,,near Eastwood Notts,,There is a company at Barton on Humber that advertise built in Britain,,think they mean assembled.Nothing wrong with Chinese cycles,,much better quality than Eastern European where the real cheap bikes are made,,BUSBY..

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Haibike voted 'Best Ebike manufacturer 2016'
Beautifully designed & built with high quality components, fantastic battery range with a choice of either Bosch or Yamaha crank motors

Haibike HQ at Winora in Schweinfurt. The complete innovation, design and production comes from the heart of their electric bike factory in Germany.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
As an exception to the norm our ebikes are Orbea ones which are manufactured or at least put together in Spain and cost around £1700 each but will do around 60 mile or so and more importantly have a crank motor and 28 inch wheels which makes it very easy to use with the power turned off.
There is nothing wrong with buying the cheaper ebikes if you are only doing no more than 20 miles and there are many available for under £700. We had a Decathlon one which they sell for around £550 and is a good buy. The one we had did only 2 to 3 years or so before the hub motor jammed up though.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have just bought 2 ebikes, not going to recommend any make or type. Just try as any as possible, and then try the ones you like on steep hill 10% plus ideally, especially if you are not already into cycling. Crank, hub front or rear, whatever brakes all irrelevant go with what works for you.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I bought a Pro-rider Wayfarer folder last July was throttle but converted it to thumb "walk assist" and its a great little bike .Not the prettiest but quality is good for money and after service very good. Any bike under a grand will be chinese .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
The OP asked for suggestions. In my humble opinion, those made in China and imported by here today gone tomorrow dealers will be exactly that. Makes such as Raleigh, Giant, Kalkhoff, Haibike, Trek etc etc, are more sturdily built, have better distribution after sales support, and will be around long after TingTong twist&go makes are dead and gone.

Raleigh made in China,,,,Giant somewhere out east,,,There is plenty of good manufacturers in China,,DYSON for one,,BUSBY.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Quite happy with my (ugly @Jim ?) Chinese cheapie - if you can call £600 cheap!

Carries this 16st non-cyclist from van to pub & back, been up & down hills, never run out of juice (probably because I only do a few miles)...

Broken Link Removed

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
This must be the furthest a thread on ebikes has got without anyone mentioning AS Bikes of Coventry.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I was going to ask,,what is wrong with a push bike,,good exercise,,no problem with a flat battery,,couple of pints and its recharged and much cheaper to buy,,BUSBY:D:D

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
This must be the furthest a thread on ebikes has got without anyone mentioning AS Bikes of Coventry.
Might just be me - but I think they're getting a bit pricey now for what they are - it's getting to be a very competitive market from budget to premium bikes.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We will soon be selling our two AS folding bikes because now we have a van with a higher payload we are getting a scooter. Nothing wrong with AS bikes at all would buy from them again in an instant. His after sales service is second to none. Has supplied me with spare parts free of charge. He has been around for a very long time and I have never heard a bad word about the company.
If you can wait till Peterborough you can try ours out to your hearts content.
My daughter in law often borrows one to keep up with her Triathalon running husband on his twenty mile runs up and down hills. We just use them to potter to the shops while away.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back