LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
In any event it's looking like pedalec, Bosch crank drive then, excepting @Vennwood post, still interested to here from others about there experience and if there's anything preferable and why? This might end up in resources section!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it seems to me the vulnerable part is the battery and they are expensive to replace when stolen or worn out. Like all batteries they only fare well if in constant use.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Anyone I know who has tried the Yamaha have been disappointed in comparison to The Bosch system ( i have not tried it)....as for being an early adopter on a system that has only been available for a year and its reliability untested? As for Bosch did you try one properly on hills etc....sound like you have made your decision based on cost not quality..there is a very good reason why Bosch system bikes cost a little more...

Have always recommended buying in Germany (that goes for vans as well:)) as that's where the deals are..especially in September onward when 2016 models start appearing and dealer need to shift stock. sold my Haibike Xdure recently for what I paid for it new November 2013

Have had 4 Bosch powered bikes since 2011..all have been utterly reliable and faultless. My latest R&M with performance drive will climb anything and is a pure joy....

as for carbon e bikes.. a waste of money. as the laws of diminishing returns come into play. like road bikes where enthusiasts spend thousands to shave off a few grams? its a nonsense in powered bikes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I would imagine shaving a few Grammes off whichever bike I buy will make a huge difference with my 20 stone on it!:LOL:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Is R&M a make then? I take it twist and go are now completely discounted?

Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
Anyone I know who has tried the Yamaha have been disappointed in comparison to The Bosch system ( i have not tried it)....as for being an early adopter on a system that has only been available for a year and its reliability untested? As for Bosch did you try one properly on hills etc....sound like you have made your decision based on cost not quality..there is a very good reason why Bosch system bikes cost a little more...

Have always recommended buying in Germany (that goes for vans as well:)) as that's where the deals are..especially in September onward when 2016 models start appearing and dealer need to shift stock. sold my Haibike Xdure recently for what I paid for it new November 2013

Have had 4 Bosch powered bikes since 2011..all have been utterly reliable and faultless. My latest R&M with performance drive will climb anything and is a pure joy....

as for carbon e bikes.. a waste of money. as the laws of diminishing returns come into play. like road bikes where enthusiasts spend thousands to shave off a few grams? its a nonsense in powered bikes

Yamaha have made over 5 million ebike motors and as far as I know are still the largest supplier - just not in Europe. No doubt the Chinese will soon overtake them. They have been making ebikes longer than Bosch. Each to their own as I say and I certainly did my homework on reliability and did not come across common faults with Yamaha. I did try several Bosch bikes and yes they are good, make that very good, but in my case the Yamaha was noticeably better on torque - the Bosch Performance Motor gives around 60 pf or torque whereas the Yamaha gives around 80. The Yamaha also delivers the power more quickly whereas the Bosch has a small delay. So at the end of the day I choose Yamaha but not on cost alone. The Bosch will no doubt be easier to repair if anything goes wrong. It is interesting to note that for 2016 model year Giant are now using Yamaha and all the Haibike sDuro range use Yamaha. Interestingly most of the 50 or so manufacturers using Bosch still use the Bosch Active Line which only develops 48pf

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We tried the Yamaha drive, powerful yes but didn't like the power delivery on steep hills, not a patch on the Bosch, I think the Yamaha is better suited to off road use. The zero candance makes the power delivery a bit pulsy on hill unless you peddle exstreamly smoothly, probably would have been easier if the bike I tried had clipless peddles or toe straps.
If cost is an issue the Yamaha is worth considering as it gives a £400 saving over the cheaper Bosch Active and you would probably soon adapt to it's power delivery.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
there is absolutely no delay with Bosch. Early Yamaha drives very poor..latest a giant step for sure, so not in anyway comparable with earlier system...

Bosch have been around for 6 years being continually developed and refined

The extra 10Nm (Bosch performance 70 Yamaha 80) means nothing if bike not so nice to live with. I have serious health issues and overweight and can climb anything.. hills in Italy that would make a grown man weep..:giggle: Yamaha is cheaper for a reason...

Just recommend that others make there own minds up, and not listen to others, biased by a recent purchase decision....Like Lenny said the proof of the pudding in the eating:D

if you find a haibike dealer they will have both Bosch and Yamaha models in stock to try, to give you an idea, even if its not the style of bike you eventually want.

plus while the Bosch available in any style of bike imaginable the choice of bikes with Yamaha drive comparatively non existent. I dont worry re a few quid when buying e bikes, I want reliable quality. If it develops a fault (4 bikes over more then 5 years tells me its unlikely) Bosch just exchange the motor unit not send bike back to be stripped and repaired. I dont make decisions based on cost only or take any risks. have had many a holiday ruined years back with hub motor bikes failing.....and as we cycle daily that was no fun and out of the question:)

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
We tried the Yamaha drive, powerful yes but didn't like the power delivery on steep hills, not a patch on the Bosch, I think the Yamaha is better suited to off road use. The zero candance makes the power delivery a bit pulsy on hill unless you peddle exstreamly smoothly, probably would have been easier if the bike I tried had clipless peddles or toe straps.
If cost is an issue the Yamaha is worth considering as it gives a £400 saving over the cheaper Bosch Active and you would probably soon adapt to it's power delivery.

One of my problems from the start was cost hence the decision to go for secondhand. Secondhand Bosch bikes on ebay are snapped up immediately. I just don't think we use bikes enough to justify spending £4000+ for a couple of bikes that get used (excluding holidays) maybe once a month. As I mentioned earlier I revised my price limit upwards at the start and would have to seriously raise it again had I gone over to Bosch. I did try out the BMW ebike as that looked the part and with the BMW name behind it I can't be all that bad. However it had the Bosch Active motor and with my weight it really struggled up hills. At the end of the day the Yamaha, while not perfect by any means was the best compromise and with a cost difference over the Performance motor of over £800 (before discounts) it became a no brainer. As retirees its hard to justify that sort of money when there are so many other things to spend money on.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
We have got ours now had a quick blast up the hill around here all went well even the wife loved hers (y)

Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
I'm an enthusiast.....love ebikes. Buy smart sell smart:LOL:

why didn't you treat your wife to one as well?

I did - didn't you read my original post?. She has a Giant Freedom Twist CS Lite and loves it - front hub motor with Nexus gears.

BTW I don't work for Yamaha nor am I trying to influence anyone. People make their own mind up and I love the Bosch motors - Unlike you I can't afford to buy one

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I did - didn't you read my original post?. She has a Giant Freedom Twist CS Lite and loves it - front hub motor with Nexus gears.

BTW I don't work for Yamaha nor am I trying to influence anyone. People make their own mind up and I love the Bosch motors - Unlike you I can't afford to buy one

unlike you I cant afford a Hymer:D

this may come in handy..view using google translator:)

its the best e bike resource going IMO (Link was supposed to get you to Yamaha forum..you will have to select yourself from discussions)

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.pedelecforum.de/&prev=search

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back