Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hmmm....I am definitely interested since it seems that there are some lighter weight ones on the market . Not light on the pocket though ! Also I am worried because on our usual cycle ride we will do on average 40-50 Km on fairly easy terrain . What happens if the battery runs out ...will the bike be as easy to ride as a normal one ?
I had a friend who had an electric bike and he used to have to carry a spare battery when cycling around the North Yorkshire moors . That was a few years ago ....maybe bikes and batteries are better now .

None of our 4 Bosch powered bikes have weighed over 20kg...great handing bikes

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Have recently tested a brand called Kalkoff. German, great build quality and great range, various battery sizes. Pedal assist. Totally amazed at the performance.

Only downside they are expensive.

Trevor

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have recently tested a brand called Kalkoff. German, great build quality and great range, various battery sizes. Pedal assist. Totally amazed at the performance.

Only downside they are expensive.

Trevor

Try a Bosch powered bike as well, normally lighter and battery mounted inside triangle so a normal wheelbase..handling real nice. You can get bargains on German EBay as its a much bigger market over there. About 40/ 70 € for delivery depending on company

some examples:

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I have a Powabyke X6 , it's light only 21kg with battery and most importantly looks like a real bike. The only time it sort of let me down was it couldn't make the hill from Hook Norton Brewery, mind you I'm 16 stone and it was carrying 36 pints of their finest beer. The motor got the bike and beer up the hill, I had to walk. (y)

Was the beer still in bottles or inside you Clive

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Any recommendations/advise/comments about the GEPIAD Ebikes please?

Really depending on what motor they use in model your looking at? They have been around a long time, not cutting edge but a good reputation. personally prefer the Bosch drive system. the rest is down to the quality of the components used, just like on any bike. Again personally I like Shimano XT running gear. Bikes a hell of a lot cheaper in Europe as well, look on german ebay = ebay.de

http://tinyurl.com/or6vw2s

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I would love to have one but husband does not agree. He thinks that it is cheating and that I would not get any exercise using one . He thinks that we will need to be hooked up all the time and that the bikes will run out of power after a few steep hills and become a nuisance . Also he thinks that they are too heavy ....payload etc etc . I am fed up pushing bike uphill and am always looking for flat cycle routes . So far we have pretty much exhausted most Voie Vertes and canal paths in France and are now working our way through the German ones . I must admit that I do enjoy the exercise but I think that I could do some more extensive routes if I had an electric bike .
Please let me know if there is an electric bike which is light and had a battery with real staying power .
My thoughts exactly. For my part I ride a regular mountain bike and keep myself fit enough to some serious distance, but it's nicer with my wife along.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
most people who whinge about ebikes, their first choice for transport is a bloomin car!lol

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Looking at 28" male & 26" female

Motor: 250w 36v Crank-Mounted Bosch Brushless Motor
Frame: Gepida Hydroforming - 6061 Alloy
Battery: Bosch Lithium 400Wh
Front Fork: Suntour CR8 50mm
Brakes: Magura HS-11 Hydraulic Rim
Bottom Bracket: Bosch
Handlebars: Gepida Alloy, 650mm
Headset: Gepida Integrated
Crankset: Miranda 18T/170mm
Weight: 25.9g
Wheel Size: 28"
Light: Basta Sprint/ B&M Delayed

Motor: 250w 36v Crank-Mounted Bosch Brushless Motor
Battery & Range: Bosch Lithium 36V 400Wh
Frame & Weight: 6061 Aluminium Alloy with a Snow White Finish
Lights: Dynamo Powered LED Front and Rear Lights
Suspension: Suspension Seatpost and Suntour CR8 Front Forks
Wheels & Tyres: 26" Wheels with SCHWALBE Energizer 559x47 Reflective
Gears: Shimano Nexus 8 Speed Hub
Brakes: Magura HS-11 Hydraulic Rim Brakes
Accessories: Long Stylish Mudguards, Pannier Luggage Rack and Axa Frame Wheel Lock

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
How much? Is it 2014 model? What model? Have you a link?

If a 2014 model it should have a healthy discount! if older still a much healthier discount......Gepida expensive in UK. Better value bikes around from Germany....

Personally don't like hub gears, low maintance, yes but clunky and slow. without knowing the price it's impossible to say if it's good value. For instance it has cheap front forks, fine on a cheap bike but not on a 2k one! also it has rim brakes...prefer disk. Are you sure this not an old model?

Last edited:
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Thanks Judgemental.
This is 2014, the price for 2015 is £1900.00 with lights direct power from main battery (no Dynamo).
Did you expirianced import from Germany? Which bikes do you have and from where?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
yes I have, last one I used these as a friend bought 2 from them we both bought Haibikes (Bosch MTB's). just bought another German bike (R&M) but got that here...

http://www.becker-lemgo.de/Comfort-eBikes.htm?SessionId=&a=catalog&p=3922

But ebay shop the best bet for picking up baragins as lots of 2014 bikes available.....Ink: http://tinyurl.com/qz6jooy

nearly 2K for a 2014 a bit rich, especially with spec. if you trawl through ebay.de and ID some bikes you like. some will quote postage some will not so will have to ask. the ones to look at are the ones that accept "best offer". Be cheeky but realistic and you may be pleasantly surprised with what you get for the money. try and find beckers ebay shop....:)

any work on it can be done in any bike shop. if something goes wrong with theh Bosch motor part you will,have to arrange to return it. chances of that rare I believe but always a risk I guess. I have had 4 without issues and considering the savings to be made not the end of the world to stump up £60 for a return....

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
really? so what does a decent road bike cost. suggest you look around a decent bike shop ..your in for a surprise! :)

I don't care, if they can sell a car with four seats, a complex engine, a big battery, loads of electric motors, 4 big wheels, 4 big tyres, complex brakes, heater then that price for an electric push bike is absurd.

The windscreen wiper motor and battery exceed the capabilities of the ebike.

And clever advertising. 400Wh is usually written 10Ah but looks much better.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I dont care either :) but about cars that is....They dont interest me in the slightest. Plus an analogy between cars and bikes a bit silly. they cost such much because of the ever improving technology....

anyway 2K is nothing, my latest cost 3.4K and ones below 10K plus:D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/recreational-cycling/11056942/Why-are-bikes-so-expensive.html

http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2013/10/31/why-do-bikes-cost-so-much.html

Last edited:

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
Kalkhoff pro connect for sale = cross bar model. Very good condition.
30 plus mile range depending on terrain - I am in peak district so you know how hilly that is.
German made very good bike - £700 ono

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Kalkhoff excellent bikes, German, and well made. Quality

Trevor

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Any recommendations/advise/comments about the GEPIAD Ebikes please?
My wife's has Bosch system and it runs really well. It has the hub gearing instead of the external shimano system and probably given the choice again I'd go for the cheaper Shimano system. If things go wrong the Shimano is easier to fix.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I reckon that an eighty year old man, now blind, since he was a two year old and only saw a bike then, could design a bike that is better than the £3500 pile of crap I tried from a "Cycle Emporium". It would not survive half an hour on the roads round here.
They may be shinier and use all sorts of aero space metals etc but for the average punter wanting to go down the chippy or get a paper and is not measuring his time by the millisecond a bike is just a blooming bike. The gerry built ones are so cumbersome it beggars belief. I think because it is monstrous they equate that to a monstrous price.

I can see the merit in a leccy one for the less physically endowed (eg. my Mrs).

But £2000, or plus, you are having a laugh.

But it takes all sorts. :whistle:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I reckon that an eighty year old man, now blind, since he was a two year old and only saw a bike then, could design a bike that is better than the £3500 pile of crap I tried from a "Cycle Emporium". It would not survive half an hour on the roads round here.
They may be shinier and use all sorts of aero space metals etc but for the average punter wanting to go down the chippy or get a paper and is not measuring his time by the millisecond a bike is just a blooming bike. The gerry built ones are so cumbersome it beggars belief. I think because it is monstrous they equate that to a monstrous price.

I can see the merit in a leccy one for the less physically endowed (eg. my Mrs).

But £2000, or plus, you are having a laugh.

But it takes all sorts. :whistle:

My Pro Rider Ebike cost £569 it gets me to where I want to go quite comfortably, the price some are paying for there German Ebikes, I bought a Kawasaki 1500cc Cruiser Classic 2 years old cheaper than this a few years ago.

John.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
My Pro Rider Ebike cost £569 it gets me to where I want to go quite comfortably, the price some are paying for there German Ebikes, I bought a Kawasaki 1500cc Cruiser Classic 2 years old cheaper than this a few years ago.

John.

A month ago after the posts about the lady in Spain and the huge fine for having an ebike (with throttle) as opposed to a pedelec, had Ginny panicking about taking her Pro Rider to Spain, in three days now :).

We spent a week looking for a replacement, but nothing she sat upon or tried did she like more than her Pro Rider, the most expensive being a Bosch at 2K. But I have to agree with Moodybrook it was because they all felt big and cumbersome to her. I've since done an easy mod on her bike and it now only does 4mph on the throttle, which she needs to help her get up and running. She's quite happy now :).

I'm not knocking those that want to spend more, everyone to there own, it's all about choices but mostly about being happy with what you have. Ginny's happy, as for any Spanish officials, well we will deal with them if and when the time comes. She would rather pay a fine than have a bike she's not happy with!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
But the gap between quality centre drive bikes and cheap chinese junk is very wide...I've had or tried all types and ride a lot. If you're not going to use one enough to justify the cost, and usage just puttering around a campsite or down to the shops on holiday, fair enough. Also if you have not tried any, how do you know what you are talking about....... Only then can you say price is justified or not.

Still cant justify the price asked? stay with the chinese junkers......whinging on about 2K for the price of a bike is plain daft when most of you drive 30-60K motorhomes that stand idle most of the time. Anyway you can get these bikes for 1500€ or less in Germany..Yes rip of england again! Even old stock here demands a high price....

Serious road bikes cost approx £1000 upwards these days, you're out of touch..just walk around a local bike shop :)

OK my bikes expensive but are used, ive got fitter lost loads of weight and really enjoy them, so cost pretty irrelevant, but I aint stupid and dont pay retail for anything....

Another thing, I just look at chinese bikes and laugh as I know they are really expensive for what they are....

happy cycling out there (y)

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
but are used,

Think that is the break point, "Used". I reckon the majority are in reality "occasional users" but I also believe that many are swept along on the Audi, BMW, Mercedes. VW, band wagon when in reality "see JB Power ratings" they are the least reliable and the most expensive when things go wrong. Of course "doon Sooth" they may have money to burn.
Oh yes I do like trying them though and generally I find them an aquired taste. In fact because you spend a lot you will convince yourself that it was justified ?? That applies to motorhomes too !! ;)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Why don't we really get this thread going ?

It's like iPhones, people can buy an excellent 5 inch phone for £65 yet choose to pay £600 for an iPhone because it must be better, it's Apple and it's very expensive, quite obvious.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back