Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
really don't see the problem here with e bike threads going round in circles...

I posted this link earlier (below with quotes) that explains the situation.

Broken Link Removed

I started of years ago riding these chinese bikes until I had my eyes opened and saw what the european market had to offer with centre drive/crank drive bikes from the likes of Panasonic, Bosch and Yamaha plus a host of others. These style of bikes are light years ahead, I suggest if you like cycling try them out, go to a proper e bike shop that are about...

Just like the motorhome market, german e bike market much bigger and bargains can be had, anyone wants some help let me know but have a look and try some bikes first .

as for taking the risk and riding these illegal e bikes in europe, its surely a personal decision, egging others on to do it a bit out of order IMO....

Thanks for posting, or re-posting the BEBA link, it does re-confirm what I and I suspect many others know that ebikes with throttles are banned outside of the UK.

I would welcome any help you can offer with regard to finding my wife a suitable 'legal' bike.

As I have stated earlier in this thread, she has a disability that requires her to be able to place both feet flat and firmly on the ground whilst astride the bike. To do this she needs a saddle to ground height of no more than 31 inches. It would need throttle assist to get the bike going to the legal 4mph speed whilst she places her feet on the pedals and can then continue with pedal assist only.

Eighteen months ago we spent weeks looking at a variety of bikes including many of the better quality ones you are advocating. All of the bikes we looked at tended to be larger framed and big wheeled and Ginny could hardly get on any of them let alone ride them. Finding herself more comfortable with smaller wheeled folding bikes led us to the Pro Rider. Yes it's cheap and cheerful but she could easily sit astride it.

She has been happily riding it ever since, it's only me reading this post that's put the mockers on that and I'm simply exploring all the possibilities so that when we go away last week of Feb to Spain she can enjoy riding her bike. I'm certainly not egging anyone else along to do anything illegal.

So there you go, if you can find a bike suitable we would certainly consider it, no matter the cost. I just want to see Ginny happy out on either her current bike... or any bike, in the sunshine, on the prom, in Spain :)

P.S. On approved cycle path of course :rolleyes:

Attachments

• P1120216.JPG
    P1120216.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
David, that's a difficult one as I don't know your wife's capabilitys or height. Also most baulk at the kind of money some of us spend on e bikes, and if mainly just used on holidays that understandable. have you tried some centre drive bikes and how did she get on..as pointless me speculating if she does not like them.

there are a few 20 inch wheeled centre drive bikes , but earlier you said she does not like small wheeled bikes, and yes they can be a bit skittish and more difficult to control, but you do get used to them. I bought my wife an AVE MH7 . kept it for 2 years and now she rides a full size bike. there are other bikes like this available

http://www.onbike.co.uk/products/ave-mh-7/

or something like this in a small frame.

http://www.mailorderbikes.com/m1b0s278p13989/RALEIGH_Captus_Step_Through_2015

these style bikes can be picked up on germn ebay for less money (surprise - surprise)

Broken Link Removed

there looks like there may well be some sort of consideration for the elderly and disabled when the new regs come in, but I cant see this changing things in Europe

edit: looking at the photo again, she seems quite happy with one foot on the ground? its a bit of a stretch to expect to sit on a seat with both feet planted, purely because the seat will be to low. its really a bad habit to be honest and makes cycling hard work and ts not good for you, as your leg should be near enough straight when riding...

Last edited:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
edit: looking at the photo again, she seems quite happy with one foot on the ground? its a bit of a stretch to expect to sit on a seat with both feet planted, purely because the seat will be to low. its really a bad habit to be honest and makes cycling hard work and ts not good for you, as your leg should be near enough straight when riding...

Thanks for the in depth reply Judge and the links etc. I'll have another fresh look at it all tomorrow.

You are quite correct with your last edit comment. Ginny actually can ride very well but her condition means that she does not have the same muscle strength in her legs as you and I. This makes her feel vulnerable from toppling over when she sets off or stops, but once on her way she tends to forget all about that, and your observation in the picture is evidence of that!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many folks have driven thousands of miles in Spain, with an A frame, and never been stopped.
Others have only just entered Spain and got stopped.

Luck of the draw whether you get pulled or not.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Many folks have driven thousands of miles in Spain, with an A frame, and never been stopped.
Others have only just entered Spain and got stopped.

Luck of the draw whether you get pulled or not.
Surely that should be "Luck of the draw whether you get TOADED or not."
:LOL:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you measure her inside leg you can work out frame size from here. Most german bikes just like ordinary bikes come in 4/5 frame sizes (from 45cm to 55 cm)

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/Support/BikeSizeGuide/

And if the small frames to large, there are always adult stabilisers available...I kid you not. If you google "adult bicyclc stabilisers"
A frame would be sized for stand over height though not sitting on the seat with feet on the floor, so inside leg needs to be seat height to the road in this case, uncomfortable I know but that what the customer wants.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
And if the small frames to large, there are always adult stabilisers available...I kid you not. If you google "adult bicyclc stabilisers"[/QUOTE

No the stabiliser could be the answer, especially as she's always telling me she's just a big kid at heart!

We looked at this one the other day and I was fairly impressed. Has the necessary paperwork making it legal for Spain and has a lever throttle that takes it to 4mph.

http://www.fosseelectricbikes.co.uk/low-step-electric-bikes/kudos-tempo

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has the necessary paperwork making it legal for Spain

Did you read that "legal" .PDF ? Not only paperwork, I'd be surprised if the frame could carry all the required labels in that document but if it is to genuinely comply they must be there on the frame.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Did you read that "legal" .PDF ? Not only paperwork, I'd be surprised if the frame could carry all the required labels in that document but if it is to genuinely comply they must be there on the frame.

Yes I saw that...I can find the frame number though! o_O

klaus Knaus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We've been very happy with our cheap Pro Riders and had no problems in Europe (including Spain). Lots of Pro Riders in Spain btw. Each to their own I guess.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
We've been very happy with our cheap Pro Riders and had no problems in Europe (including Spain). Lots of Pro Riders in Spain btw. Each to their own I guess.

Ginny is also very pleased with her Pro Rider but became all worried when some idiot was daft enough to tell her about this thread:mad::confused: o_O Oh, that was me :rolleyes: We have looked at replacing it but nothing has so far come near to what she feels comfortable with. I've managed to alter the throttle so that it now will only give her a 'power assist' take off and then she pedals. She feels comfortable with this now so it's coming to Spain with us next week!

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
List of places to visit...................................................................................NOT

Scarborough

Spain

Any more..?

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004

I'm more than happy with my Pro rider too.

My personal opinion is that there as been a lot of unessasary scaremongering about cheaper Ebikes on a lot of forums.
Just like the gassing threads.

No one has come forward to say that they have been fined in Spain at all.

John.

Last edited:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
We've been out in Spain almost a month now and the police have not even as much as blinked an eyelid as Ginny has rode past on her Pro Rider. She has riden right past more than a few due to the festival in Benicarlo. One even pulled up to let her cross (riding) a pedestrian crossing and another pair stood by their motorcycles smiled as she passed by :)

I have seen just about every conceivable type of electric bike and most folk you speak to are completely unaware of all the scaremongering that's been going on.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have never had any bother.....BUSBY.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We've been out in Spain almost a month now and the police have not even as much as blinked an eyelid as Ginny has rode past on her Pro Rider. She has riden right past more than a few due to the festival in Benicarlo. One even pulled up to let her cross (riding) a pedestrian crossing and another pair stood by their motorcycles smiled as she passed by :)

I have seen just about every conceivable type of electric bike and most folk you speak to are completely unaware of all the scaremongering that's been going on.
Hi davidand ginny, great that everything is going fine with your Prorider, It's like I said before there's hell of a lot of scaremongering about the cheaper Ebikes.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday, we will be leaving for Benidorm with my Prorider on the 1st of May.

John.

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
[QUOTEby, post: 1273846, member: 17808"]Simple answer,,,use an old fashioned push bike,,,cheaper and it will get you fit,,,BUSBY:D[/QUOTE]
NOt if you have duff knees

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
[QUOTEby, post: 1273846, member: 17808"]Simple answer,,,use an old fashioned push bike,,,cheaper and it will get you fit,,,BUSBY:D
NOt if you have duff knees[/QUOTE]

DISAGREE,,,i was in need of a new knee twelve years ago. Took up cycling and it lasted another 10 years. Had a new knee two years ago and was back on my bike within 2 months Knee like new now. No pain no gain. I am much to young to need an electric bike yet,,,,:D:D:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

DISAGREE,,,i was in need of a new knee twelve years ago. Took up cycling and it lasted another 10 years. Had a new knee two years ago and was back on my bike within 2 months Knee like new now. No pain no gain. I am much to young to need an electric bike yet,,,,:D:D:D[/QUOTE]
Lucky you ... a lot of knee replacements don't go so well.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I want to stay fit ,,,think once you go electric there is no going back......BUSBY..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
DISAGREE,,,i was in need of a new knee twelve years ago. Took up cycling and it lasted another 10 years. Had a new knee two years ago and was back on my bike within 2 months Knee like new now. No pain no gain. I am much to young to need an electric bike yet,,,,:D:D:D
Lucky you ... a lot of knee replacements don't go so well.[/QUOTE]

Friend of mines didn't but he did no exercise. You need to rebuild all the muscles that have been lost. I also have rhumatoid arthritis and the best thing for that is exercise. BUSBY.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I have COPD and cannot ride an ordinary bike far, but I cope well with my leccy one.
Remember, they are only electric bikes when they're turned on!.

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Ha

DISAGREE,,,i was in need of a new knee twelve years ago. Took up cycling and it lasted another 10 years. Had a new knee two years ago and was back on my bike within 2 months Knee like new now. No pain no gain. I am much to young to need an electric bike yet,,,,:D:D:D[/QUOTE]
I have duff knees cos i played too much squ

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Ha

I have duff knees cos i played too much squ[/QUOTE]

Impact sport,,,similar to jogging. My doctor warned me off squash in my early 40 s and told me to take up badminton... Knackered my knee up in my 20 s playing Rugby. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back