Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Found this from the
British Electric
Bicycle Association

Broken Link Removed
Interesting read - seems we in the UK are the ones with the most liberal laws! But it also confirms the rules apply to the whole of the EU although it seems only the Spanish are taking it seriously - probably a good revenue earner.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Temper?lol Not likely, simple astonishment of the refusal to face up to plain facts...Still wonder why you asked to be honest!lol. Or is it that some are so thick they only listen to answers that compound their own ignorance....Have you heard of inconvenient truths..grow up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Temper?lol Not likely, simple astonishment of the refusal to face up to plain facts...Still wonder why you asked to be honest!lol. Or is it that some are so thick they only listen to answers that compound their own ignorance....
Which part of I NEVER ASKED don't you understand? Many thanks for implying that I am Thick and Ignorant. I shall continue to interpret facts how I see them. Once again :" I Never asked you anything!"
Sticks and stones.:)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Temper?lol Not likely, simple astonishment of the refusal to face up to plain facts...Still wonder why you asked to be honest!lol. Or is it that some are so thick they only listen to answers that compound their own ignorance....Have you heard of inconvenient truths..grow up

Rule 1 It seems this post is straight out of the Outandaboutlive forum posting handbook. ...How to get as many insults as you can in one sentence.

Get off your high horse and be nice, please remember this is motorhomefun. thanks.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
surely this wont be CE compliant or legal, it will not conform to any certificate and ...... can be removed at any time ... like 2 seconds after a "nice" policeman has left you in peace....

this company will not be liable for your fines if this is unacceptable to the man who stops you and checks your bike out.

Precisely...,

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Gus-Lopez, you say that anything being "re-registered" must have CoC. Are you able to clarify if that means that as you are only there for a short period and do not intend to re-register, a CoC is not necessary? Likewise you are unlikely to register a trailer for a couple of weeks surely? If so, what happens to all these trailers carrying bikes, cars etc.?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
surely this wont be CE compliant or legal, it will not conform to any certificate and ...... can be removed at any time ... like 2 seconds after a "nice" policeman has left you in peace....

this company will not be liable for your fines if this is unacceptable to the man who stops you and checks your bike out.

Now where have a heard that before ???

Oh yeah, i remember....A frame manufacturers

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
was going to buy a elec bike I think I will stay with my push bike.

No....you are more likely to enjoy and use the e bike more. Just make sure its compliant with EN regs :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Interesting read - seems we in the UK are the ones with the most liberal laws! But it also confirms the rules apply to the whole of the EU although it seems only the Spanish are taking it seriously - probably a good revenue earner.

Yes unfortunately times are hard.

Gus-Lopez, you say that anything being "re-registered" must have CoC. Are you able to clarify if that means that as you are only there for a short period and do not intend to re-register, a CoC is not necessary? Likewise you are unlikely to register a trailer for a couple of weeks surely? If so, what happens to all these trailers carrying bikes, cars etc.?
Well I am talking of someone who is going to be living here. Anyone with a Uk /other Eu plated vehicle /trailer comes under their own country rules. Unfortunately although A frames you could argue are legal inthe Uk & as such should be tolerated here , the fact is that Spanish trailers have to have a log book , regardless of whtehr they are registered with their ownplates or not. additionally towing a vehicle is absolutely illegal & so you can see from there point of view that an A frame is not a trailer & therefore you are "towing" a vehicle which is illegal.
Why they have such a downer on electric bikes is anybodies guess. I can only assume that one of the head honchos has been run down by one & got his a**e in his hand. There should be no requirement to be in possession of the CofC for it. As Hildweller said if the CE mark is on it then all should be ok. trouble is none of them are likely to know what they are looking for, what the law in Spain actually is; what the EU rules are & how the EU rules relate in relation to Spanish law. They have just been told a few bits to ask for & if you haven't got what they've been told to ask then a fine is dished out.
They've usually no idea why either !
Todays crackdown can be on something that the Head cook & bottlewasher has taken a dislike too & instructs his men accordingly. The fact that it might be complete nonsene & contrary to EU rules doesn't even come in to it. If the Hc& bw says all blue cars are speeding then they are. Some of them still think Franco's alive. Especially next door to me in Almeria ! :LOL:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just a thought, there is provision for Self Certification within at least the electronics side of the EU process, so if a person was to read the regulations on ebikes and looked at his and said it complies he could print off a certificate and it would be up to Spanish cop to prove it did not comply.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's absolutely insane. When setting off a big handful of throttle gets you moving that bit safer.

Totally agree. If it wasn't for the throttle start I wouldn't be able to ride my bike.

How can they issue a CoC for a bike that does not conform ?

At a guess once the throttle is disabled it then conforms.

I'd be happy to register, tax and insure my ebike if I could actually find out how to do so. Because it is legal (in the UK) as it is the DVLA don't want to know - when I spoke to them they said there was no system for registering a vehicle that didn't need to be registered.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anybody got an idea of how many prosecutions there have been, or is this another "gassing" thread ? :)

I've notices only one reported here and that has gone up from an initial fine of €1000 ( plus appeal ) to €4000 so next month it will be ten years in gaol.

But even one at that price has to be taken seriously.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I almost wished I'd not seen this post! Anyone want to by my wife's Pro Rider ebike! She was looking forward to using it in Spain in a few weeks time, got away with it in France last year! Just looked at the companies web site and it seems they are 'unable' to provide a EN14764 certificate as the bike has a throttle. What a blow!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
At a guess once the throttle is disabled it then conforms..

Maybe, provided the declaration clearly states that it complies with the EU code provided the throttle is screwed down otherwise it complies only with UK regulations.

Put another way if they issue an EU CoC with a bike that has a moving throttle they are acting illegally.

A link above says the throttle can work up to 4 mph, which is perfect for setting off, now would a Spanish cop know this ?
================
Throttles operating independently of the pedals, enabling a bike to be ridden on power only are legal in the UK under the 1982 EAPC regulations. They are illegal under European regulations if they enable the bike to be propelled at more than 6kph (4mph) without the pedals turning forward.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I almost wished I'd not seen this post! Anyone want to by my wife's Pro Rider ebike! She was looking forward to using it in Spain in a few weeks time, got away with it in France last year! Just looked at the companies web site and it seems they are 'unable' to provide a EN14764 certificate as the bike has a throttle. What a blow!

£10 free delivery ??? :whistle: (y)(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
She was looking forward to using it in Spain in a few weeks time, got away with it in France last year!

We've done hundreds of miles in Spain, Germany, Italy, Belgium over the last 6 years and no-one has batted an eyelid. Been told off in Spain and Italy for ignoring a no cycling path, just a good natured finger wag and as soon as the cop went everyone continued cycling.

At least you have an honest dealer there.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just found that EN14764 has been superseded by:
BS EN ISO 4210-1:2014

£104 for the listing if keen !

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
[QUOTE="hilldweller, post: 1274562, member: 5089"

At least you have an honest dealer there.[/QUOTE]

I can't blame the dealer Brian, I didn't even think to ask! We got the bike for Ginny who has a medical condition and has difficulty peddling, especially when setting off. We went for the Pro Rider after meeting a couple in Javea in 2013 who had one each, don't think they had any idea and they had been riding them all over Javea the entire Winter!

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Anybody got an idea of how many prosecutions there have been, or is this another "gassing" thread ? :)
We are currently at Almafra. Notice in rally folder says police are pulling people over for not wearing cycling helmets and fine is €60. We were out on bikes for 5 hours yesterday( with our helmets on ) and saw literally hundreds not wearing them. Saw quite a few police cars patrolling but didnt see one person being pulled over. Is it just that one grumpy police man who somebody upset?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Can't agree with healthier, most days I wouldn't be capable of going out on a "normal" push bike but can manage 4 or 5 miles on the electrical assist Kalkhoff.

I was like that ten years ago,,,needed a walking stick all the time. Started cycling ,,it was agony at first and i could not go far. Best thing i ever did. I am riddled with rhumatoid arthritis but can now cycle 20 miles including hills.Had a new knee two years ago but was back on my bike four weeks after my op. Would not be without bike now. BUSBY:D:D

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Well sadly Ginny is now not happy to be riding her 'non conforming bike'. We were hoping to be heading off to Spain in about 4 weeks so I would like to try to source a bike for her. She's only about 5'4" so needs a small frame and a saddle that can go low enough for her to put both feet on the ground due to her medical condition, if not she feels unsafe. We live in Nottingham. Wondering if anyone knows of any good suppliers in Notts or nearby, any recommendations etc? Cheers Dave

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just a thought, there is provision for Self Certification within at least the electronics side of the EU process, so if a person was to read the regulations on ebikes and looked at his and said it complies he could print off a certificate and it would be up to Spanish cop to prove it did not comply.

self certification is surely for companies not individuals., clutching at straws here:)

Re your bike, thinking about it, if you were to completely decommission the electrical Side ( replace or respoke motor wheel, remove cabling) it would no longer be an electric bike. The regs apply to the electrical side not the bike. But you would be better of picking up a normal bike, would be nicer to ride and lighter

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back