Electric bikes and AS Bikes in particular (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I think I have read all or most of the threads on here regarding having a throttle control and I am still uncertain about the actual European law regarding them.
If they are legal in any one part of the EEC, does that cover Spain?
If I drill a hole in the throttle to disarm it, does that make it legal in Spain?
I realise that the fine in Spain is around €900 for ... for what? Riding it, using the throttle, not having the bit of paper etc.
I have met up with other E-Bikers from both Germany and the Netherlands who have electric bikes with throttles, so the UK is not alone.
Finally, with my drivers licence I can drive a 50cc moped around much of Europe (and Spain) at speeds up to 50mph and be legal and have a throttle but not be legal at 15mph using a battery with a throttle; balmy!
Alan

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If I drill a hole in the throttle to disarm it, does that make it legal in Spain?
No to make it legal you need a certificate of conformity from the manufacture stating it complies to the reavant EN standards.
Finally, with my drivers licence I can drive a 50cc moped around much of Europe (and Spain) at speeds up to 50mph and be legal and have a throttle but not be legal at 15mph using a battery with a throttle; balmy!
Alan
No different with an e- bike with throttle perfectly legal providing it is registered, taxed & insured.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Everything you have read concerning the Confirmatory Certificate and NOT having a throttle is correct but they are everywhere down here in Benidorm especially including dozens of scooter type things with no pedels. The police take no notice, of us at least, and I think the chances of just getting pulled over are very remote (waiting for first funster to tell us).

The problem occurs though, I suspect, if you were to be involved in some incedent on the road or cycle path where the police turned up or claims were likely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The following copied from asbikes.co.uk web site is clear .........

A.S BIKES
Please note: due to massive precedented demand and heavy sales we are now out of stock of the MK3 electrobike. This has happened due to the new law coming into act on the 1st of January 2016 after which we can no longer sell a bike with a throttle/twistgrip. We will have new stock around February, if you want a bike with a throttle you must order and pay for it before the 20th of December. We will then supply a throttle abled bike to you as soon as we have them back in stock. We still have demonstrator bikes for you to come and try before you place your order. Our phone number is 02476303228 if you wish to place an order.

Due to laws changing january 1st 2016 we will no longer be able to sell electric bikes that use a throttle 'twist and go', please buy before then to avoid disapointment. (If you already own a throttle it will be legal to use if you have brought it before january 2016).

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Be very careful when buying the bike as many do not climb very well and run out of power within a few km/miles.
I tried ( was loaned bikes ) about 9 different makes and would have bought a Bosch powered model, but could not find a local dealer and in the end bought a Spanish model because it was local to us.
Some I tried ( used same course for each bike ) started of well and then after the hill climb which was not steep but over 4km, some bikes could not take it, others the battery did not have enough power to get me home ( total distance of test route 25km ). Both the Bosch and the one I bought completed the test and like for like I could not decide.
If you never going to ride the eBike on anything but flat ground then buy of the shelf, but if your going to use it on any hills in and out of a camp site please test ride first to avoid being disappointed the first time you run out of power miles/km from home...........
Our last ride out we covered a 86km/54miles distance and still have power in battery when we got home.

I cannot thank @Judgemental for his knowledge and help before buying ours.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I sure he must have shares in Bosch!

As I get nearer to my first ebike I'm sure it will be Eddie that I will have to thank for emptying my bank account :xdoh:.
You can buy a 2015 one for around £800 at this time of year with new 2016 bikes coming out...

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We have two Ebikes with the Throttle option and have had no problems.

I believe them to be far superior with the throttle it's quite brilliant if used correctly.

I also believe the Throttle versions will be much sought after when they are no longer available new,therefore,it's a win win situation.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

I believe them to be far superior with the throttle it's quite brilliant if used correctly.

I also believe the Throttle versions will be much sought after when they are no longer available new,therefore,it's a win win situation.

Nonsense!:) Try on some proper hills..you will be lucky to get half way up!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

This is an argument that will run and run.......

I think a lot depends on your riding style and general fitness - as well as personal preference and budget!

It is very hilly round here and my AS bike copes well - but you do need to know how to use the assist to get the most out of it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Are they dangerous if not used correctly?

Martin

Branston1080

Free Member
Oct 30, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
I've just bought a Scott E-aspect 720 cx, yes it was very expensive (used my performance management bonus, complete decadent treat!). I have to say it is fantastic, as a pedelec you get the benefit of having to pedal. The Bosch motor is super smooth, the power assist is amazing.
I know I'll have many years of happy cycling, it's robust, well built and has more than met my expectations.
As many will tell you, what do you get from a great ebike.....A massive smile on your face!
@Judgemental he knows his bikes, I read all the threads, went and tried a number of different ones. I have had a large step through, throttle only and it just wasn't for me but each to their own.
My advice would be go and try before you buy, they all offer something slightly different and it is entirely personal choice. But I bet you have a huge smile on your face then you comfortably power up your first hill!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Are they dangerous if not used correctly?

Martin

Could be. Imagine twisting the throttle by accident and having it take off. People tend to grip harder when surprised (rather than leave go) so could lose control of the bike which could lead to injury for the rider or anyone in the way.

Because to them it's an unregistered uninsured motorbike. It would be just the same in the UK if you fitted a 300W motor.

And since you can't register it in the UK you are snookered.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
What did you buy in the end?
Both fit in garage area of MH weight is 22kg and 21kg. We charge them from inverter whilst driving or using solar power if parked up for days and are fully charged in about 4 hours ( draws about 7/8amps per hour for both.
The wife has:

hers.jpg

Mine below: ( has larger battery fitted )
mine.jpg

Company is Spanish and recommended world wide. They are local for us and warranty is very good. Web site: BROKEN LINK

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Unbelievable considering the DVLA website tells you that you need to register them.

When I tried I was told that because they were limited to under 15.4(?) mph there was no mechanism for doing so.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
you can still have a throttle operated e bike BUT it must only work while peddling NOT independently:)

"But Miall agrees that there's marketplace confusion over e-bike rules and regulations.

He said: "Some suppliers are working to the current UK regulations that do not specify whether a throttle can or cannot be used, it is of course assumed they can be. Some are working to the EU regulations above, which certainly permit independent assistance use up to 6kph and then assistance up to 25kph as long as the pedals are turning forward. Others are working to a mixture of both. Until there is clear direction from DfT this state of slight confusion will continue."

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Both fit in garage area of MH weight is 22kg and 21kg. We charge them from inverter whilst driving or using solar power if parked up for days and are fully charged in about 4 hours ( draws about 7/8amps per hour for both.
The wife has:

View attachment 85102
Mine below: ( has larger battery fitted )
View attachment 85103
Company is Spanish and recommended world wide. They are local for us and warranty is very good. Web site: BROKEN LINK

Hi John

Look nice bikes, BH are a big company, I like the AWD mountain bikes.

Martin

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
where do you find these bikes judge? , is there a web site?

Most German dealers advertise on German ebay, prices far better then here anyway just like motorhomes. will post a link. delivery normally about £40.

best ones to go for are ones that allow offers..at this time of year you can be surprised! In November 2013 a friend and I bought 3 Haibikes..... Mine was £2800 here I got it for £1400..rode it till this summer, sold it for £1400 on ebay when I bought the R&M

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=e bike bosch&_dcat=74469&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=1000&_udhi=2000

Last edited:
OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Our AS Bikes have proved themselves able to power up hills around 1 in 4 in 2nd or 3rd gear by pedalling and using the hand throttle.
Are they in any way dangerous? Yes I think they can be, for if you do not switch off the throttle control after getting off the bike and you accidentally catch the throttle, they can hit people (I have done this and am very careful since doing so).
Alan

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Are they in any way dangerous? Yes I think they can be, for if you do not switch off the throttle control after getting off the bike and you accidentally catch the throttle, they can hit people (I have done this and am very careful since doing so).
Alan

Or if you catch the throttle when at rest as I have done. BUT having done it you are then very careful about switching the power to off when stopped.

Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
2 years back in 2009/10; resuming in 2016.
Both fit in garage area of MH weight is 22kg and 21kg. We charge them from inverter whilst driving or using solar power if parked up for days and are fully charged in about 4 hours ( draws about 7/8amps per hour for both. Company is Spanish and recommended world wide. They are local for us and warranty is very good. Web site: BROKEN LINK

Thanks for that.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

Quick to respond,however,I was replying to the OP's question regarding problems with a Throttle Ebikes being illegal.

Electric bikes in my opinion are not meant to be used as a replacement for Mopeds/Scooters/Motorbikes they are Bicycles and should be used as such the introduction of power through an electric motor are to ASSIST and not to just twist the the throttle and trying to get your fat arse up an hill!!

We can cover 50/70 mile dependant on the terrain and sensible use of the throttle in aiding our legs on hills,away from hills no power at all or assist through a choice of six settings if tired or into a head wind.

Our ages 68/70,as I said brilliant if used correctly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back