Electric bike, Strange power anomaly (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Out on my bike yesterday and noticed something odd.
3rd gear of 5 and 2nd level of assist just tooling along on the level and slowed pedaling to slow down a little..... And it didn't!!!!
The motor maintained the same speed even though the pedals were only just rotating and zero load.
Stopped pedaling and the motor stopped as it should.
Tried again but this time braked slightly rather than fully stop pedaling and the motor again stopped as it should.
Not complaining as effectively I have a throttle bike as long as the pedal crank is turning a bit, albeit a fixed throttle, which is CE certified as a pedal assist bike.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My wife games her electric Brompton all the time. It has a motor in the front wheel and it has no idea what gear you're in. All you have to do is turn the pedals and it'll keep pushing. She just windmills along while the bike does all the work. Telltale sign that she's cheating is you can hear when the freewheel in the rear hub engages if she accidentally pedals fast enough to do a bit of work.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My wife games her electric Brompton all the time. It has a motor in the front wheel and it has no idea what gear you're in. All you have to do is turn the pedals and it'll keep pushing. She just windmills along while the bike does all the work. Telltale sign that she's cheating is you can hear when the freewheel in the rear hub engages if she accidentally pedals fast enough to do a bit of work.
Not a fault on mine then.
I did notice if I change up a gear or go up a slight incline and make the motor work harder it can't, it just gets slower unless I put some effort in as well.
Whatever the rate of work the motors doing when I slow pedal is the limit... No more, no less.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think ebikes with the motor in the bottom bracket can infer how hard you're pedalling and adjust their power to match. Most bikes with wheel mounted motors effectively just add a fixed amount of power regardless of how hard you're pushing.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Has it got crank sensors? could be the Cadence sensor playing up.
They have, but all they detect is that you are turning the cranks. They have no idea what gear you are in, so they don't know whether the speed you are turning the cranks is actually doing any work. They can't detect how hard you are pushing. It's just an on-off switch the same as a throttle button.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think ebikes with the motor in the bottom bracket can infer how hard you're pedalling and adjust their power to match. Most bikes with wheel mounted motors effectively just add a fixed amount of power regardless of how hard you're pushing.
Very true, if you want to use Turbo mode on a Bosch you really have to put some effort in or it will tell you to sod off. ?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Very true, if you want to use Turbo mode on a Bosch you really have to put some effort in or it will tell you to sod off. ?
Yeah, I'm under the impression that the Bosch type bottom bracket mounted systems can be much smarter.

The modes on the e-Brompton (and I assume most other hub mounted ebikes) just sets the power level it kicks out when it comes on. It is smart enough to blend the power in and out smoothly, but it is just 'on' when you pedal (regardless of effort and cadence) and 'off' when you stop/freewheel. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly adequate 99% of the time. However, don't try to 'track stand' on an e-Brompton (it accelerates off when you were just trying to balance).

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
....and if you squeeze the brake lever you operate a switch that turns the motor off even if you are still peddling.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They have, but all they detect is that you are turning the cranks. They have no idea what gear you are in, so they don't know whether the speed you are turning the cranks is actually doing any work. They can't detect how hard you are pushing. It's just an on-off switch the same as a throttle button.
That's exactly it.
If I change up a gear the load on the motor becomes too much so it slows unless I switch to a higher level of assist..... Or but some leg effort in.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Sounds to me like everything is working as it should.

If I am in level 5 (the top) then the motor wants to power me to 15mph no matter how fast the pedals go round. If I lower the power level then the speed decreases unless I add leg power.

So if you were on the flat and peddling then it powered you to the speed you were doing.

I find as I approach a junction I change down a few gears, turning the crank helps the down shift.....and makes the motor drive me forward! Have to be gently on the brake at the same time so the motor is disengaged.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My wife thinks her e-Brompton is brilliant... and so do I as we can ride together.

However, I tend to spin the pedals pretty much all the time and then adjust the amount of effort I'm putting in. When I ride her bike, it interprets this as 'motor=on' all the time, so I can end up accelerating when I wanted to slow down. Maybe I'd get used to it, but the few times I've ridden it, I get annoyed with it. Wife thinks I'm just being awkward (she's probably right).

I've also got a reasonable mountain bike that I take trail riding (mud, armour and falling off type riding). If I get an e-MTB, it's definitely going to have to be a Bosch type system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back