Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I know that many Funsters use electric bikes to get around on, do any of you bother to insure them for theft etc, if so, can you recommend a company that is reliable and informed about these bikes, having parted with quite a bit of cash for 2 bikes, I don't want to lose them to scumbags. :Angry:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I was able to add them to our house insurance but they stipulate that when not in use they must be locked to an imovable object. So if our camper gets stolen with our bikes in the garage they will not be covered! I will of course take them out of the garage every time we leave the van and lock them to an imovable object nearby :)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
have a look at ETA services ltd on www.eta.co.uk i have taken out thiers not exactly cheap at £59 plus you will need sold secure silver bike lock equipment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I was able to add them to our house insurance but they stipulate that when not in use they must be locked to an imovable object. So if our camper gets stolen with our bikes in the garage they will not be covered! I will of course take them out of the garage every time we leave the van and lock them to an imovable object nearby :)

I checked on this today, they said as long as they were fixed securely to the motorhome (by an immovable bike rack) they were covered.
Of course insurance is awash with small print.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I checked on this today, they said as long as they were fixed securely to the motorhome (by an immovable bike rack) they were covered.
Of course insurance is awash with small print.

what if youve ridden them into the village and stopped for a ??? and one gets nicked?

you wont have much battery life left after dragging the motorhome along for a few miles:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Doh: sorry:Eeek:

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
When bought mine took out insurance with Cycleguard....£150 stipulating sold silver bike guard. Check what this involves as it weighs a ton, totally impractical to carry on your bike and adds to payload, more like a motorbike lock!
Needless to say have not renewed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
electric bike insurance

Hi
Thought this might be useful for electric bike users to know

Electric bikes - the rules
In Great Britain, if you’re 14 or over you don’t need a licence to ride electric bikes that meet certain requirements, and they don’t need to be registered, taxed or insured.
Electric bikes meeting the requirements are called ‘electrically assisted pedal cycles’ (EAPCs). They can be 2-wheeled bicycles, tandems or tricycles.

EAPC requirements

The requirements are:

the bike must have pedals that can be used to propel it
the electric motor shouldn’t be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15mph
the bike (including its battery but not the rider) must not be heavier than 40 kilograms (kg) if it’s a bicycle, or 60kg if it’s a tandem or tricycle
the motor shouldn’t have a maximum power output of more than 200 watts if it’s a bicycle and 250 watts if it’s a tandem or tricycle
the bike must have a plate showing the manufacturer, the nominal voltage of the battery, and the motor’s power output
Where can I ride an EAPC?

If a bike meets the EAPC requirements it’s classed as a normal pedal bike. This means you can ride it on cycle paths and anywhere else pedal bikes are allowed.

Other kinds of electric bike

Any electric bike that doesn’t meet the EAPC rules needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.

The vehicle will also need to be ‘type approved’ to make sure it’s safe to use on the road

of course it would be advisable to have your bike insured for at least theft , check your house content insurance it might cover your bike away from the home. :thumb::thumb:

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
this is just typical with insurance companies, by the time you have complied with their stipulations, you dont really need them. Some of the motorcycle locks weigh as much as a passenger.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back