Electric bike conversion kits for a tandem advice please (1 Viewer)

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
We have a tandem .I would like to convert to electric with the controls on the rear handle bars as the front ones have gear change on both handles.
Money is a consideration but what to buy .
I think front wheel would be simpler but really dont know much about this.
Any advice would be helpfull

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I helped a friend @DAVE CANOE convert his Tandem, the controls went on the front as apart from anything you have to change the brake levers for the kit parts that cut the motor when you brake, his just had the throttle but a sensor for the crank came in the kit, the kit included a new rear rack that takes the battery and control box, cables, throttle and brake levers and of course a new wheel which went in the front.

I don't know who the supplier was and it was a couple of years ago, Dave might come back to you on this one but he doesn't spend as much time on here as I do:LOL:

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I converted a bike to electric a couple of years ago from a mix of second-hand and new parts. There's plenty of good info available if you search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I helped a friend @DAVE CANOE convert his Tandem, the controls went on the front as apart from anything you have to change the brake levers for the kit parts that cut the motor when you brake, his just had the throttle but a sensor for the crank came in the kit, the kit included a new rear rack that takes the battery and control box, cables, throttle and brake levers and of course a new wheel which went in the front.

I don't know who the supplier was and it was a couple of years ago, Dave might come back to you on this one but he doesn't spend as much time on here as I do:LOL:

Martin
thankyou

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I converted a bike to electric a couple of years ago from a mix of second-hand and new parts. There's plenty of good info available if you search.
Cheers I have looked and found lots of available kits/parts its just knowing what might be a waste of money.Just because its cheaper doesnt mean its rubbish just like because its expensive doesnt mean it good,So looking for previous experience really.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Cheers I have looked and found lots of available kits/parts its just knowing what might be a waste of money.Just because its cheaper doesnt mean its rubbish just like because its expensive doesnt mean it good,So looking for previous experience really.
Search for information on building & for e-bike forums rather than for parts. There are, for example, many You Tube videos describing e-bike builds.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Apart from what has already been said putting the control on the rear handle bars, even if possible, would be very dangerous as the rear rider won't be able to see past the front rider so could end up with a delay in controlling the bike's propulsion.

OP
OP
PeterCarole29

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Apart from what has already been said putting the control on the rear handle bars, even if possible, would be very dangerous as the rear rider won't be able to see past the front rider so could end up with a delay in controlling the bike's propulsion.
Yes Also something i hadnt thought of .

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I think as a "new" build it will have to be pedal assist only to meet the law in which case it will not matter where the controls are, But I am willing to be corrected. as for brakes connect the control cable directly to the rear brake unit not the brake lever

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back