Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I would like information on electric bikes because I have been diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis which is extreme pain in heel when walking ! This could take months to get better and at the moment I feel grounded hobbling around !
I know that I can cycle but because of the hilly terrain in and around Whitby I feel the electric bike would be the best option . I know that there have been various threads of this already but a summary of findings would be useful .
Of course because of payload etc the lightest possible model would be the best choice .

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi if you live in whitby it may be best to go for a crank driven motor drive,36 volt,li-on battery ,250 watt motor there is a company called whoosh bikes that sell one (01702) 435566
The new Krieger:
Classic 18" diamond frame, adjustable riding position, 50-60 miles on flat roads. 15AH battery, new more powerful chain drive motor delivers exceptional hill climbing ability, natural ride feel.
8-speed, 25kgs
The Krieger replaces the Sirocco CD.
Stronger motor and controller, better weight distribution, easier to mount/dismount, better propstand, simpler wiring.

The Krieger is best if:
You live in a very hilly area
You weigh more than 100kgs

I purchased one from whoosh and found it very good value

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
AS Bikes, Coventry...36v lithium battery, 250 watt motor...my wife has 22" wheel which is lighter than my 26" version. Both have 3 power options...first pedal only, second electric twist grip only or lastly pedal assist where the motor kicks in when it senses help is required. Range 20 miles electric only or pedal assist upto 30/35 miles depending on terrain. Look them up on the WWW, the customer feedback is great...Hope this helps.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All the wonderful sales blurb are based on FLAT. Expect much less range if climbing hills. And you'll need to pedal as well.

Well that's my experience.

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks folks . I will investigate which bike will suit me best and make a decision before setting off for our spring trip .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you want to get up hills go for a bike with Bosch crank drive. We have just ordered a couple of Scott's from a German dealer, e-bikes far cheaper in Germany easy to save £400-£600 a bike.

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
If you want to get up hills go for a bike with Bosch crank drive. We have just ordered a couple of Scott's from a German dealer, e-bikes far cheaper in Germany easy to save £400-£600 a bike.

That sounds good . How do you know without trying it out if it will be OK for you and is there any customs duty to pay ? The annoying thing is that we will be heading to Germany in late May to do some cycling after a few weeks in France where we will need bikes as well . If I buy a Bosch it will be the most expensive bike I have ever owned and although we have a garage in the van I would worry about theft .

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Hi cobweb I had the same thing with my foot I was told it was my shoes so I got some new ones still had a bad foot .the docs have not got a glue . I used ibprophen cream I took 3weeks to clear up I used the mid strength one . And as for Ebikes ....try Roodog ebikes we have two and we love em . John n Linda

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I would like information on electric bikes because I have been diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis which is extreme pain in heel when walking ! This could take months to get better and at the moment I feel grounded hobbling around !
I know that I can cycle but because of the hilly terrain in and around Whitby I feel the electric bike would be the best option . I know that there have been various threads of this already but a summary of findings would be useful .
Of course because of payload etc the lightest possible model would be the best choice .

There was a company at the Peterborough show that was making special insoles for your condition (sometimes called policemans heel). They stand you on a pressure plate which comes up where your problems are and make an insole to suit. Sorry cant remember who they were. Perhaps some other funster can help. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That sounds good . How do you know without trying it out if it will be OK for you and is there any customs duty to pay ? The annoying thing is that we will be heading to Germany in late May to do some cycling after a few weeks in France where we will need bikes as well . If I buy a Bosch it will be the most expensive bike I have ever owned and although we have a garage in the van I would worry about theft .
I would never buy a bike that I have not tried, every manufacturer's sizing is different, e-bikes tend to vary even more. With crank drives the bottom brackets are higher, some have battery behind the down tube (this makes the whole bike longer).
Tried out the Yamaha motor in a Haibike (exclusive to Haibike in Europe) although more powerful 70nm) also has zero candence, didn't like the riding experience, probably better for serious off road use. Tried a couple with the Shimano motor found them hopeless, power delivery was not constant, had to keep changing gear going up hill, both the Shimano & the Yamaha motors make the bikes about £400 cheaper & it shows.
There are two Bosch motors Active Line & Performance Line (50nm & 60nm), £400 difference in price, you notice the better acceleration & slightly improved hill climbing of the Performance Line but at the expense of range. The ones we have gone for have the Active Line, adequate for our needs, range quoted up to 120 miles with the 400 watt battery in reality about 80 miles in low power assist mode in high power with quite a few hills at about 40miles.

We tried out loads of different bikes in the UK, even with my mate and his wife between us looking for 4 bikes UK dealers weren't interested in giving any more than 5% discount. Buying from German dealer, got 10% off price which was already £400 below UK list price.

The EU is a free trade area you just buy as you would in the UK, buying in Germany means you only pay 19% VAT.
The only exception being motor vehicles where the VAT has to be paid in the country of registration.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have two Bosch powered bikes and if you want to climb hills with a smile on your face its the only way to go! One is latest 2015 performance drive, other earlier late 2013 active line...you notice the difference. All depends on what you want out of a bike, level of fitness etc.....whether extra cost worth it...personally I think it is :)

Buy in Germany and save a bundle!

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi . Thanks for all your replies. On the bike front I think the best thing to do is to buy in Germany and take my current bike with us to tide us over till then and just cycle on easy terrain . I am surprised that hubby who is usually very payload conscious is willing to carry three bikes in the MH garage if we buy an e bike ! It must be the thought of saving money buying in Germany ! Any idea as to what companies or outlets we should look out for when we get there?
We will be heading out to the Moselle area first . On the heel front I have an appointment with a podiatrist on Friday hoping to get some more info on the condition . In the meanwhile I bought some insoles from Boots which are supposed to help . My GP thought that maybe the fact that I have been either barefoot or wearing Crocs for most of the winter on our sailing trip has brought the condition on ! Go Figure ! We were not born wearing shoes !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Probably the salt water did not help! My son did a season in Italy as a life guard and feet were a state afterwards!

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
If you want to try a crank drive ring whoosh they have customers that will let you try theirs (think they get a commission )

Bonio123

Free Member
May 31, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year and still enjoying it
had the same problem with my heels until saw nhs podiatrist who gave me some slimflex 3/4 insoles. I found them so good that I purchased several pairs and now wear them with all myfoorwear including slippers. after years of suffering and trying lots of different indoles I am now painfree and can walk for miles again. slimflex have a site on the www . well worth a try. good luck

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Check out my bike for sale in classifieds.
image.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi . Thanks for all your replies. On the bike front I think the best thing to do is to buy in Germany and take my current bike with us to tide us over till then and just cycle on easy terrain . I am surprised that hubby who is usually very payload conscious is willing to carry three bikes in the MH garage if we buy an e bike ! It must be the thought of saving money buying in Germany ! Any idea as to what companies or outlets we should look out for when we get there?
Order ours from United Online Stores GmbH they are in Karlsruhe They have several online sites link to their one in English with GBP prices.
Emotion Technologies have 20 shops across Germany.
Fahrrad XXL have 15 shops across Germany.

Thats a few to start with just search on Google to find more, you need to be on the German Google site.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
There's an expo on near where we currently staying in germany. Now I'm not suggesting I'm spending this much at all but am interested in a bike for myself. Is this a good buy? There's is 500 euro reduction on the listed price. Any thoughts from knowledgeable bike owners

Attachments

• IMG_20150422_154952.jpg
    IMG_20150422_154952.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20150422_155044.jpg
    IMG_20150422_155044.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 25

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hymer don't make bikes so I would want to know who makes it as it's not particularly cheap, I'm not a fan of bikes with small wheels OK on tarmac any other surface a bit unstable, I noticed this one has down tube mounted battery, good for weight balance & low centre of gravity, also has disc brakes most small wheeled e-bikes have hydraulic V brakes. Looks like it comes from a quality manufacturer still would want to know who.

Just received confirmation our Scott e- bikes have been dispatched should receive them Friday or Monday.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That's right Lenny.....looks like a re badged AVE MH7, but there are other very simiar bikes. my wife had one....pretty good for a 20 inch wheel bike (had hydraulic disc brakes) but larger wheels far better!

looks like they have added 800€ for the hymer name...cheeky monkeys:cautious:

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

As Bonio has said - try getting some decent insoles.

I had PF last year and it did indeed take months to get better. Because of my job though I had to stay active and found that some stretching exercises before getting out of bed (first few steps in the morning were horrendous) helped as did getting some insoles which I put in all of my footwear - well apart from my strappy heels obviously.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Going up tomorrow to have a proper look see. Thanks for replies good to get informed alternative opinion. Think I will be looking for larger wheels too.
Need a couple of new chairs too, might be a dear do but am hoping to get better quality and take advantage of exchange rate while here. Better not look in any of the vans!

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
There was a company at the Peterborough show that was making special insoles for your condition (sometimes called policemans heel). They stand you on a pressure plate which comes up where your problems are and make an insole to suit. Sorry cant remember who they were. Perhaps some other funster can help. (y)
Both me and the other half bought a pair and they are really effective. I will pm you the detail tomorrow when at home

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi . Thanks for the info on bikes as well as heel problem . I managed to hobble on the beach today with my Nordic sticks which helped a bit but I need professional help ! When I got back home there was a letter from NHS telling me that I have an appointment with a physio on the 19th of May ! I was diagnosed on the 6th of April ! That is the NHS for you ....just as well that I have a private appointment with a podiatrist on Friday . The only good thing to come out of this is that finally husband thinks that E bike is a good idea for me .

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
had the same problem with my heels until saw nhs podiatrist who gave me some slimflex 3/4 insoles. I found them so good that I purchased several pairs and now wear them with all myfoorwear including slippers. after years of suffering and trying lots of different indoles I am now painfree and can walk for miles again. slimflex have a site on the www . well worth a try. good luck

Hi
Thanks for your personal message . I will look into that . I saw a podiatrist yesterday who just recommended rest as well as ice and gave me some memory foam heel pads . If that does not work she can get inserts whic cost an eye watering £450.00!
I was not best pleased when she made an appointment for me on the
8th of May ! I was hoping to be on my way in the MH by then. I suppose I am a difficult patient wanting everything my way . I just do not want our spring MH trip ruined waiting for podiatry appointments !

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hi .. On the heel front I have an appointment with a podiatrist on Friday hoping to get some more info on the condition . In the meanwhile I bought some insoles from Boots which are supposed to help . My GP thought that maybe the fact that I have been either barefoot or wearing Crocs for most of the winter on our sailing trip has brought the condition on ! Go Figure ! We were not born wearing shoes !
About 6 years ago I jumped down a small bank and landed heavily on my heels.
I had the dreaded PF. I share your pain as the heel becomes very painful. One day on holiday I could barely walk, I rolled up a sock and placed under each arch (wearing sandals at the time). Oh the relief!
I bought some arch supports which I could wear in shoes, also some Skecher trainers which had build up in the sole, alas no longer around. It is a slow recovery but avoid flat shoes, you need the support. Try rolling arches on very cold can of drink to ease pain. Also stand on step on toes and raise yourself up and down. FEEL THE CALF MUSCLES ACHE but it's worth it
I am pleased to say I no longer suffer.
Sorry, didn't mention electric bike. I'm too mean to buy one. Try these or similar and the exercises first ?
arch.jpg

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
  1. South Yorkshire Electric Bike Center
  2. Bicycle Store
  3. Unit 3, Goldthorpe Industrial Estate, Commercial Road, Goldthorpe, Rotherham, South Yorkshire S63 9BL, United Kingdom
  4. +44 1709 886677

Highly reccomended, we bought 2 brilliant Ebikes,good choice of models,try in an off road area or road,buy,takeaway.

No pressure selling,couldn't be more helpful.

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just an update . We did buy a Kalkhof Agattu Premium i 360 .
When it arrived I did not like the look of it too much . We had a ride up some steep hills in Whitby I am very impressed ! Husband could not keep up going up the Khyber pass ! I can see that husband is going to get more exercise and so will I since the various adjustments allow you to choose the level of assistance and it goes just fine without E assistance . It cost an arm and a leg but I think it is worth it and it will change our cycle trips completely . I will no longer have to whinge and moan pushing my bike uphill or worry about the long way back .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back