What do you guys think ?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Wouldn't fancy that Dometic job flapping about without any legs to stabilise it even if it does roll itself in eventually.
The comparison video isn't really a comparison at all as you would usually peg the legs down. If it was a bit 'blowy' most of us would throw a strap across or wind it in.

Plus, it's a Dometic and I am rapidly losing faith in their ability to produce quality kit, even at their highly inflated prices.

Just my opinion.

Richard.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Wouldn't fancy that Dometic job flapping about without any legs to stabilise it even if it does roll itself in eventually.
The comparison video isn't really a comparison at all as you would usually peg the legs down. If it was a bit 'blowy' most of us would throw a strap across or wind it in.

Plus, it's a Dometic and I am rapidly losing faith in their ability to produce quality kit, even at their highly inflated prices.

Just my opinion.

Richard.
I'm not a lover of Dometic either Richard.
Just seems like they've bought up most of the Motorhome equipment manufacturers though.
Everything I don't like about my van is Dometic - seems like you can't avoid their stuff either, irrespective of which van you buy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Sorry but I do not believe at 90kmp that would survive, the struts would be bent unless you are very lucky.
And it's not a new thing. My Winnebago was a
05 plate and had a awning that if the wind got up would retract on its own also if the awning was out and it rained and started to pool on the awning it would drop 9 inches one side so the water drained off.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Sorry but I do not believe at 90kmp that would survive, the struts would be bent unless you are very lucky.
And it's not a new thing. My Winnebago was a
05 plate and had a awning that if the wind got up would retract on its own also if the awning was out and it rained and started to pool on the awning it would drop 9 inches one side so the water drained off.
Mine does that as well... As long as I wind it in a bit and also drop one leg .otherwise totally automatic . Lol.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I believe Dometic are making the point that theirs will survive 90kph because it has retracted.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Can't say I'm particularly impressed with it. At the speed that thing was auto-retracting, it'll be fubar well before it's put away.

DAVWOD

Free Member
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
6 years
Yep , Dometic and touch wood no problems. Obviously if it's gusty l wouldn't bother but having experienced pegged awnings being ripped from the ground when owners have gone out (not a pretty sight) at least it's a safe bet it will retract and no damage done.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yep , Dometic and touch wood no problems. Obviously if it's gusty l wouldn't bother but having experienced pegged awnings being ripped from the ground when owners have gone out (not a pretty sight) at least it's a safe bet it will retract and no damage done.
Roughly how much did the automatic one cost and where did you get it fitted?

Thanks

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I'll find the live Demonstrations that were done in Emmsdetten under scrutiny, and the press's beady eye. I know it wasn't fake as they flew me out there to watch just to "shut me up" lol

I had one fitted on my RV when I had my A&E one ripped off last Easter

It has survived torrential rain and heavy winds so far.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Fiamma also do a legless awning complete with 12V motor than automatically rolls in the awning in strong winds - its called the F45 Eagle. I notice the Dometic cheated by not comparing that one with theirs.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
A mere drop in the ocean to this lot mate, with their pensions now exceeding the average take home working pay by £20.00 a week. (y) Wait until they scrap the triple lock! There will be tears rolling out of tablets and i pads. You wont be able to get on *FUN* for posts by @buttons. :cry:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I noticed that they were also selling tie down kits. Says a lot.!!
What?

The Dometic awning comes with a tie down and poles so if you wish to override the wind sensor you can. There is also a Safari room available, which is poor quality so we won't supply it

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
A mere drop in the ocean to this lot mate, with their pensions now exceeding the average take home working pay by £20.00 a week. (y) Wait until they scrap the triple lock! There will be tears rolling out of tablets and i pads. You wont be able to get on *FUN* for posts by @buttons. :cry:
But what paid from our investments for a cruise only pays for weekend in a hotel now. Oooh, look at the dust on that chandelier.
"Carson !!!!"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back