Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi all

We are intending to replace and upgrade our leisure batteries for the coming season. We would like to increase the capacity from 2x80ah to 2x110ah. As the batteries are situated beneath the driver and passenger seats, the size of the batteries is of importance. We have been looking at the Elecsol range which would give us the increased ah capacity without an increase in size. Has anybody fitted this brand of battery?? are they worth the extra cost ?? are they maintenance free as stated on the Elecsol website?? will they need to be externally vented??
Your thoughts good or bad would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Brisey

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Elecsol Batteries
Quality product good reputation, just won major contract with Toyota, are these type of batteries worth the money? In my opinion No their not, thinking long term and initial outlay you won,t do better than standard lead acid and you could replace these every year, not that you would need to, about 3 to 4 times for the same cost,
Geo

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all

We are intending to replace and upgrade our leisure batteries for the coming season. We would like to increase the capacity from 2x80ah to 2x110ah. As the batteries are situated beneath the driver and passenger seats, the size of the batteries is of importance. We have been looking at the Elecsol range which would give us the increased ah capacity without an increase in size. Has anybody fitted this brand of battery?? are they worth the extra cost ?? are they maintenance free as stated on the Elecsol website?? will they need to be externally vented??
Your thoughts good or bad would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Brisey

Hi Brisey,

We have been using these batteries for years now, firstly in the caravan, and secondly in the MH. The first is seven years old now and is on periodical trickle charge in our garage, as a spare starter battery. Each cell still shows a high reading on the hydrometer.

Due to the lead acids on the MH being shot, (over charging and gassed off), we replaced them with 3 x Elecsol 90's, rated at 100 Amps. That was 2.5 years ago, and they have never needed topping up. It turns out that the switch on the base of the charging unit was on the wrong setting, hence the failure of the originals.

They are expensive......but they do seem to last a lot longer, in the leisure mode. They came up trumps too, in a CC Magazine article.

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Brisey

I broadly agree with Geo, however I did fit one in a previous van and had no complaints but couldn't say if it would have outlasted a cheap FLA as I sold the van after 2 years..

As far as gassing is concerned this is all down to the type of charger, no matter what type of battery you fit, an Elecsol will 'gas off' just the same as an FLA if overcharged.
Assuming you have an intelligent charger the cheap FLAs will perform equally well, I fitted 4 x 85AH three years ago, total cost £120 and they are still going strong and we have been full time for 18 months, if they fail any time soon they won't owe me anything..

Summing up, I personally don't think they are worth the extra and if not already fitted rather spend your hard earned on a decent 4 stage charger.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I have been looking for a link from the dark side, but cannot find it.It was on about l/batts and gave great info (for tech'is)but basicaly said that gels batts, carbon fibre etc, gave nothing better than normal run of the mill lead acid batts and to get them as cheap as poss !!! this was from a firm that made alsorts of batts.Great article to read if I could find it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Doh:It all depended on plate thickness as to l/batts and starter batts etc,paying expensive for l/a batts did not nessesary mean better:whatthe:
terry

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
Hi

Just so you do know I do sell elecsol batteries ::bigsmile:

I have just had a quick google for leisure batteries but most seem to be around the £70 mark are not sealed and only offer 1 or two years warranty at the most, having said that if budget is your main goal you can get cheaper.

The Elecsol is more expensive but not by a huge amount, it does have a 5 year warranty, (all batteries do go wrong in the end), the later ones are sealed and do weigh slightly less than conventional batteries, I have got one in my hire van, it performs very well so would recommend them.

Elecsol do have a wide dealer network so you should be able to pick some up locally, also if you do have a problem there is a freephone number on which to contact them direct.

Hope this helps

nick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi

Just so you do know I do sell elecsol batteries ::bigsmile:

I have just had a quick google for leisure batteries but most seem to be around the £70 mark are not sealed and only offer 1 or two years warranty at the most, having said that if budget is your main goal you can get cheaper.

The Elecsol is more expensive but not by a huge amount, it does have a 5 year warranty, (all batteries do go wrong in the end), the later ones are sealed and do weigh slightly less than conventional batteries, I have got one in my hire van, it performs very well so would recommend them.

Elecsol do have a wide dealer network so you should be able to pick some up locally, also if you do have a problem there is a freephone number on which to contact them direct.

Hope this helps

nick

OFF TOPIC (sorry:Blush:)

Hi Nick just looked at your site and you maxview crank up sat dish price fitted (wished i had known that before having mine done:Doh::cry:)

OP
OP
Brisey

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi guys

Many thanks to you all for your thoughts and comments, you have certainly given me plenty of food for thought. We are in no rush over this matter at the moment, we will post on our decision and findings in due course.

Once again thanks to you all

Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back