Eldiss Firestorm 180 ref solar panels (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi
I am new to motorhoming and I have a question re plugging in solar panels to the cigarette lighter socket. The lighter socket does not have any power to it when the ignition is off therefor I presume we cant just plug our dashboard or larger solar panel into this socket when parked. The question is also relevant to plugging in the invertor via this socket. Seeing that the leisure battery is way out of sight and therefore not easy to clip onto, is there a possibility that we could use one of the 12v two pin connectors via a adaptor to the lighter male connection on the solar panel.
Thanks Steve

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You are correct that using the dashboard socket is not feasible.

We used to use a stand alone solar panel when we had our Autoquest 100. It had a lead which was permanently attached to the leisure battery terminals and plugged into the panel when we wanted to use it. If you wish to use a permanently (presumably roof) mounted solar panel then it should be wired (through a suitable controller) to the leisure battery terminals.

An inverter (or dedicated 12v charging leads) can be used from the 12v socket(s) in the living area.

If you want to keep the starter battery topped up as well (from solar and EHU) you will need to fit a Battery Charge Manager or equivalent.

More details of what we did on the electrical side in our Autoquest Here.

OP
OP
benellioldman1
Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Thanks Graham
I am a lot wiser now on all the aspects of owning this motorhome
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No problem Steve. That's one of the things this forum is for. Ask any question and it is likely somebody will be along with an answer pretty quickly.

If you are really lucky some of the answers may be right :rofl::rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back