Elddis under slung tank heater (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
I am planning to use my PVC this winter. Can anyone advise me on the procedure I should use. I am a little worried if I leave tank heater on the element or whatever will end up above the water level.
also
Can I use my whale system set on heating only without water in the system.
Thanks
Russ

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
As far as I am aware the tank heater only comes on below 5Deg C. If you are not on EHU I would expect it to run the battery down fairly quickly. I dont know where the element is located but I would assume there is some sort of sensor that switches it off when there is no water in the tank. The Whale blown air heating system is separate from the water heater and therefore can be used without having any water in the tank.

OP
OP
Mountain man
Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Thanks for your reply.I understand the hot water tank has a frost setting but I was referring to the main 90 litre tank which also has a frost heater but nothing in the manual explains how it works.
Thanks for the explanation on the blown air heater.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As stated above just watch the power consumption on tank heaters. It's all an extra drain on the battery if your not on EHU.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We had a grey water tank heater on a previous van. We spend 2 months skiing, with the van always off hook. Never used the tank heater, primarily because unless all pipe work to drain the tank is heated as well, there's little point. The drain pipe work is almost certain to freeze. Better to use a bucket or some such, and let the grey water flow. Bit of a pain, but better than ending up with a full grey water tank that you can't empty.

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
We have a tank heater in the fresh water tank on our V Line, but the tank and inlet pipe is well insulated and we have camped several times in - 3 to 8 deg. The - temperatures have only existed over night though, so I cannot comment on continual minus conditions as one would experience if winter skiing.
Not having EHU on several occasions so only relaying on our 12v system the heater has never come on as we have checked the battery monitor, I can only assume that because of the insulation the water has never dropped to the point that the heater has automatically energised.

BernieT

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mountain man
Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
We have a tank heater in the fresh water tank on our V Line, but the tank and inlet pipe is well insulated and we have camped several times in - 3 to 8 deg. The - temperatures have only existed over night though, so I cannot comment on continual minus conditions as one would experience if winter skiing.
Not having EHU on several occasions so only relaying on our 12v system the heater has never come on as we have checked the battery monitor, I can only assume that because of the insulation the water has never dropped to the point that the heater has automatically energised.

BernieT
Hi Bernie thanks for info. I will always be using hook up so no problem there, what I am trying to find out Is what could happen if say fresh water tank heater is on and water level drops through use will it damage the heater if it ends up above water level.So when would you turn it off or can it run continuously.I have spoken to Elddis and will post there response when received.

OP
OP
Mountain man
Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Elddis have replied and give me the following information on tank heater.When weather is cold enough to freeze the tank heater should be switched on there after they work automatically switching of as water levels drop and on again as temperatures dictate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back