Elddis ownership, 7 months in. What I don't like! (1 Viewer)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
So I've had my Elddis Encore 7 months now, here's a few negative observations.

1 The Alde boiler under the bed wakes me up every time it kicks in (I'm a VERY light sleeper and I only realised the boiler thing when we went away over the new year).

2 The garage (cubby hole more like) isn't big enough for my new chairs and I can't get my 125 scooter in it (joke).

3 Nowhere to put a cuppa when sat on the captains chairs when turned round UNLESS you put the big fold up table in between the sofa chairs restricting moving up and down the lounge.

On a positive note, the van has been faultless. I have a few idea's and mods to address these and a few other niggles, and yes I have a British van that is BONE DRY (sorry to disappoint you Hymer owners)

I did think about changing the van for Truma, big garage and front dinette with fixed table continental van, but no doubt I'd take a beating and the new van would be costly, so we've decided to mod up for a few years. Anyone got a towbar for a 255 kicking about?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Only a few months old I should think it's bone dry, sounds like you have got a good one, enjoy.
Do you leave the Alde on all night?, we usually turn it off unless it's going to be minus lots outside.

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My wife's a light sleeper she sleeps with a light on.

I'm a hard sleeper on cold winter nights I............

sleep with the window open

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Only a few months old I should think it's bone dry, sounds like you have got a good one, enjoy.
Do you leave the Alde on all night?, we usually turn it off unless it's going to be minus lots outside.

I have to keep it reasonably warm as Mrs Westy is always cold (mild Reynards) We got the MoHo in June and used it first time at the Norfolk show, it was red hot, so really since then we haven't really had the Alde on overnight till the new year in Pocklington.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Should your Alde be noisy ? It might need tweaking as we have Alde and don’t hear a thing

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Should your Alde be noisy ? It might need tweaking as we have Alde and don’t hear a thing

It's just the clicking and firing up of the burners, I can't imagine it firing up without making a noise, it is after all literally under the bed, under my pillow, sometimes the bathroom radiator clicks as it expands and contracts, I guess it's the nature of the beast.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
If you are on hookup can you use the heating on elektrickery? Should be nearly silent then.
On hook up it’s the click then the pump that wakes me! I guess I’ll have to buy earplugs(y)

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Sorry I forgot to put it’s a 2015 Encore!!

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Adi

Turn mine down to about 8 at night now for the same reason, seems ok at that.

Chairs fit in just nice bought from go outdoors, the old ones didn’t fit. (2 inches to long) also removed the passenger seats and made loads of extra space and payload.

Place for a cup (purchased a camping table from the Range, this is up all the time with the legs tucked under the side benches when traveling, picked up this idea from another funster who had the same problem on a Bailey. We never use the Encore table now.

Also purchased a cup holder that fits over the cab centre compartment thing. Cost 60 quid from mirror guard but well worth it.

Fitted a tow bar from new, not used it yet but it gives me extra protection when the mrs is reversing.

A

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a couple of sheets of sound deadening foam round and over the boiler and pump. if on a budget, a soft yoga mat will do the same and in funky colours too

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
a couple of sheets of sound deadening foam round and over the boiler and pump. if on a budget, a soft yoga mat will do the same and in funky colours too
Yep, that’s gonna be one of my “mods”

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Adi

Turn mine down to about 8 at night now for the same reason, seems ok at that.

Chairs fit in just nice bought from go outdoors, the old ones didn’t fit. (2 inches to long) also removed the passenger seats and made loads of extra space and payload.

Place for a cup (purchased a camping table from the Range, this is up all the time with the legs tucked under the side benches when traveling, picked up this idea from another funster who had the same problem on a Bailey. We never use the Encore table now.

Also purchased a cup holder that fits over the cab centre compartment thing. Cost 60 quid from mirror guard but well worth it.

Fitted a tow bar from new, not used it yet but it gives me extra protection when the mrs is reversing.

A

1, I would never get away with that!!

2, We had crappy chairs that fit and she wanted some nice Isabella’s, that are too long (going to relocate the pump)

3, Going to NEC and going to the campervans for some inspiration for some flip up swivelling tables (if there is even such a thing)!!

4, Yeah looked at them, possible purchase for the future!

5, You need to give me that tow-bar;)

I’m gonna cover the boiler in some kind of sound deadening foam, and possibly underneath the bed lats within the metal bed frame, also looking at the possibility of raising the bed 8-10”

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

I think it’s just wishful thinking by some van owners that all British vans are damp. We had an Autosleeper, sold it after 3 years, bone dry, our Swift was 21 years old, bone dry. Lots of Hymer and Carthago owners now complaining of water ingress. So glad we didn’t buy one.
Ok, no wood frame to rot, but our last vans were wood framed with no rot.
As for Alde heating, we were put off by the noise and amount of time it takes to get the van warm.
I think a Truma system with Alde back up heating would be ideal if Alde can quiet it down a bit.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I think it’s just wishful thinking by some van owners that all British vans are damp. We had an Autosleeper, sold it after 3 years, bone dry, our Swift was 21 years old, bone dry. Lots of Hymer and Carthago owners now complaining of water ingress. So glad we didn’t buy one.
Ok, no wood frame to rot, but our last vans were wood framed with no rot.
As for Alde heating, we were put off by the noise and amount of time it takes to get the van warm.
I think a Truma system with Alde back up heating would be ideal if Alde can quiet it down a bit.

Yes agree with some of that, not sure I know what you mean about the noise of Alde though, a whisper to start with and then nothing. We have both Truma and Alde on ours but it is a dreaded German one.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Yes agree with some of that, not sure I know what you mean about the noise of Alde though, a whisper to start with and then nothing. We have both Truma and Alde on ours but it is a dreaded German one.

We borrowed a van with Alde heating and I was very impressed with it when it got warm, but we could hear the burner start up and the pump running, both of which put us off.
I guess it was the positioning of the burner. Our van has Truma heating, the boiler is near the front of the van, and our bedroom is at the back, you can’t hear a thing at night when it’s running.

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
I thought about some insulation board or similar type of thing, let me know how you get on.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
We borrowed a van with Alde heating and I was very impressed with it when it got warm, but we could hear the burner start up and the pump running, both of which put us off.
I guess it was the positioning of the burner. Our van has Truma heating, the boiler is near the front of the van, and our bedroom is at the back, you can’t hear a thing at night when it’s running.
I think the only reason I hear it, it’s because it’s beneath my pillow, if it was up front or in the kitchen area it would be better!

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I think the only reason I hear it, it’s because it’s beneath my pillow, if it was up front or in the kitchen area it would be better!
Daft place to put the boiler, right where you are guaranteed to hear it and it must make your pillow all lumpy and hard as well.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We've had our 2018 Elddis Accordo Prestige 105 for 7 months too and to be honest can't fault it. Yes the Whale blown air heating under the bench /bed is a little noisy but I suppose any heater under any bed would be noisy:whistle:
I still pinch myself when I think that at 5.99metres it's only 2 metres longer than my little Peugeot 207 hatchback yet there's so much space inside. It's got a good size bathroom with a separate shower, enough storage and 669kgs payload and so many extras.
We spent more than 2 years looking at hundreds of 'vans before settling on the Elddis. We're pretty confident we got it right first time. Well pleased(y)

Feb 6, 2019
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Explore RL
Exp
Since 2012
We will have had our 2018 Autoquest 175 for a year next month and have mixed opinions of it when compared to our previous MH. On the plus side is it’s internal design. It’s very roomy kitchen, great twin bed layout, huge shower and toilet room and a comfortable ride. The downside issues are mainly the poor workmanship and limited storage (this is were the large shower room comes into its own). We purchased it with a winter pack fitted to allow all year round usage but unfortunately it appears to be a waste of money because there are so many floor vents that let in drafts, we had to use extra bedding during mid September while touring France. We don’t like to have the heating on all night so that isn’t an option, besides the fact that it’s not the most efficient system due to the positions of the outlet vents.
As this is likely to be our last MH and it’s still my pride and joy, we still plan to enjoy it while we can and visit as many countries and places as possible, albeit during the warmer months.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
British van that is BONE DRY (sorry to disappoint you Hymer owners)
But for how long.:ROFLMAO:
but no doubt I'd take a beating and the new van would be costly,
That's what happens when you buy British our last Hymer at nearly 3 years old got almost what we paid for it on a trade in & 20% off the new Hymer but we don't buy from UK dealers can't afford too.

If you had bought a well insulated German van you wouldn't need the heating on at night, we have never used heating at night.:rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back