Elddis/Majestic 196 thoughts? (1 Viewer)

tankplanker

Free Member
Mar 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm very keen on the 196, anybody own one (or a similar model) have any feedback on the build quality/reliability of their van?

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Some folks will knock the 196 as it is Elddis built,but all I can say is my 155 has been faultless and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
Phil

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Some folks will knock the 196 as it is Elddis built,but all I can say is my 155 has been faultless and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
Phil
I remember when Earby was in Yorkshire, my dad was was chief inspector there we lived in the police station next to the railway crossing, i believe it is a private house now, just thought i would mention it, i worked for Bristol tractors, long gone now;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm very keen on the 196, anybody own one (or a similar model) have any feedback on the build quality/reliability of their van?

If you're in no rush to buy a van now then wait until late September and the prices will start dropping.

My local dealer is selling his new 196 for £48,995 but he has always struggled to sell his Elddis stock so the prices routinely fall to circa £43,000 by the end of the year in our area.

That said, if you want it now then go in low and work up.

It looks to be a nice van so good luck with whatever you decide.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
T

tankplanker

Free Member
Mar 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Really liking the sound of that. I was concerned as its a lot of van for the money.

I'm planning on purchasing after the summer, as I guess motorhomes are like convertible cars, more expensive in the summer! I guess its a game of chicken with the dealer, not leaving it too late so that somebody else snaps it up, but not buckling too early to pay over the odds for it.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Really liking the sound of that. I was concerned as its a lot of van for the money.

I'm planning on purchasing after the summer, as I guess motorhomes are like convertible cars, more expensive in the summer! I guess its a game of chicken with the dealer, not leaving it too late so that somebody else snaps it up, but not buckling too early to pay over the odds for it.

It's always a gamble on when and where to buy but you'll find that some dealers are already a wee bit nervous about how this year will unfold (in terms of sales) so some are already beginning to discount stock.

I would first identify a few Elddis dealers who are relatively accessible to you and start a weekly check on their stock. This will give you a feel for their stocks; their sale volumes and what is selling and what is not.

Don't forget that you'll be a magic customer with no part exchange and cash on the hip so choose wisely.

All the best,

Andrew

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Tankplanker. Sorry to hijack your thread.
Hi Kevin, until we downsized I lived in the house diagonally behind your old place.
Small world.
Forgive the duff graphics.
Screenshot_20190322_155541.jpg

Phil

Apr 8, 2019
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Also fell in love with the 196, looks a perfect set up and a ton of van for the money. The build quality does seem a bit of an issue tho, a number of handles came off in my hand as I looked around.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Had a 2018 Elddis caravan. It lasted 4 weeks before literally falling apart with several structural faults. Made in the same factory as the motorhomes. Build quality - non existent.

Apr 8, 2019
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Good to know, as I said at the show I went to, a number of bits came off in my hand and I didn’t try to break them.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you're in no rush to buy a van now then wait until late September and the prices will start dropping.

My local dealer is selling his new 196 for £48,995 but he has always struggled to sell his Elddis stock so the prices routinely fall to circa £43,000 by the end of the year in our area.

That said, if you want it now then go in low and work up.

It looks to be a nice van so good luck with whatever you decide.

All the best,

Andrew
Thats not much of a discount if they are trying to get rid of stock, I would expect a lot more than that on a factory order.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thats not much of a discount if they are trying to get rid of stock, I would expect a lot more than that on a factory order.

I've not seen/heard them go for any less Lenny but £43K for a Hymer owned brand isn't bad IMO :whistle:........:D

Mar 2, 2018
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta kyacht85
Exp
4yrs
Purchased a 185 last year,done a least 8 trips out,3000 miles travelled, no problems no handles or doors have fell off.So all in all very happy with my Elddis.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Got an 2015 Encore 255 very pleased it so far (although I would like a garage) build quality is good, nothing fell off and zero damp(y)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I got 20% off my current Hymer and that was a factory order.

That's a very good deal Lenny but when it comes to Elddis I'm just not sure what the target price would be for a van with an RRP of £49K. That said, we'll soon have the likes of the Autotrail vans going for near-on cost price so I reckon that Elddis and Swift will have to react accordingly to help retain market share.

I'm predicting a huge fall in new van prices in Q3 this year so IMO there will be huge deals to be had.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
We have an Elddis 196, very happy with it, only problem we had was the electric motor on drop down bed, replaced at dealers under warranty,
One thing you do have to watch is coming from front to the rear watch low front edge of the bed as it is LOW ! I am only 5'6" and was nearly scalped by it, received 4 stiches on my head !!
Had it remapped to 148bhp and on trip to France I managed 36.5 mpg
BTW its now on 11200 untroubled miles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back