Elddis gobbled up by Hymer (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Yet another British manufacturer devoured by greedy foreign investors.
Hymer have bought out Elddis. We lost Autosleepers last month so it appears everyone is trying to get a foothold in Brexit Britain. It will be interesting to see how Hymer shape the future of Elddis. Anyone devoted to buying British will certainly struggle now.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yet another British manufacturer devoured by greedy foreign investors.
Hymer have bought out Elddis. We lost Autosleepers last month so it appears everyone is trying to get a foothold in Brexit Britain. It will be interesting to see how Hymer shape the future of Elddis. Anyone devoted to buying British will certainly struggle now.
Aaarrrggghh not another bleeding kraut motorhome poluting the atmosphere with their false claims of reduced emissions please.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I live 3 miles from the Elddis factory and know many who work there. We actually did work for them over many years. I feel the factory set up will not meet the mass production requirements of a company like Hymer. Extending would be a problem as ground area isn't extensive. I hope they are not just buying the competition. They have a loyal workforce so I hope they will be secure.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I live 3 miles from the Elddis factory and know many who work there. We actually did work for them over many years. I feel the factory set up will not meet the mass production requirements of a company like Hymer. Extending would be a problem as ground area isn't extensive. I hope they are not just buying the competition. They have a loyal workforce so I hope they will be secure.
Don't trust them .good tax loss for them ..maybe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
There is no doubt that they want a UK production facility, they will want to keep the brands and they certainly will not want to ship production to Germany because of the added costs before & after brexit. what brands are 100% UK owned now ???

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
There is no doubt that they want a UK production facility, they will want to keep the brands and they certainly will not want to ship production to Germany because of the added costs before & after brexit. what brands are 100% UK owned now ???
Hymer ??????

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I assume Elddis was privately owned ? If so, the OWNERS were the ones who sold out to Hymer, which you could class as greed or sound business sense, depending on your view of the sellout.

So therefore the OPs opening line "Yet another British manufacturer devoured by greedy foreign investors" is a bit debatable.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
After seeing the video of the production method used by Baileys to make their motorhomes, compared to a similar one on Hymers, maybe Hymer will bring them out of the 19th century and in to the 21st.

While all motorhomes suffer problems, it seems UK ones built by the big manufacturers, are the worst.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I assume Elddis was privately owned ? If so, the OWNERS were the ones who sold out to Hymer, which you could class as greed or sound business sense, depending on your view of the sellout.

So therefore the OPs opening line "Yet another British manufacturer devoured by greedy foreign investors" is a bit debatable.
Elddis was owned by a company called Constantine Holdings which was supposed to be a group that rescued businesses that were struggling. I gather they were a family concern but who knows. It's difficult to keep up with who owns what these days.

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
I
After seeing the video of the production method used by Baileys to make their motorhomes, compared to a similar one on Hymers, maybe Hymer will bring them out of the 19th century and in to the 21st.

While all motorhomes suffer problems, it seems UK ones built by the big manufacturers, are the worst.
I take you actually have some research based evidence for your statement?
If so would you share ?

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp

And Bailey have not been without their problems

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Elddis was owned by a company called Constantine Holdings which was supposed to be a group that rescued businesses that were struggling. I gather they were a family concern but who knows. It's difficult to keep up with who owns what these days.
The report on the deal say a partnership between Hymer & Constantine have agreed to buy 100% of Explorer Groups shares.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I worry that all these companies taken over by bigger ones eventually close the factories here so they have no competition .
Steel and chocolate come to mind.:(

IMO, I don't think Hymer would consider Eldis as a direct competitor in the motorhome market place. Both make products which are divisions apart in the their respective sectors.

It could well be that Hymer forsee increased prices with their existing marques (Burstner, Carrado, Dethleff, Laika, Neismann + Bischoff etc) here in the UK following Brexit, and are looking to invest in a facility here in Blighty to ensure they keep their market share.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
To a degree it's just how the world works now. UK car production is at a 17-year high even though it's pretty much all foreign-owned now. And quality is better than before too.

How would Hymer expand its business and improve shareholder returns if not by a) buying less efficient (arguably, I don't know Elddis's business) businesses and making them more efficient and b) selling more motorhomes, partly by cornering more of the market?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Alternatively, it will give the new parent company access to trade abroad after Brexit without EU constraints.

That would be my thinking on it.

Edging their bets and doing it before the Euro goes down the swany thanks to Greece.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001

So why did you by a Carthago .. Just think what you are missing out on .. Water leaks and numerous trips back to the Dealer for Coffee .. I bet your Carthago Dealer never sees you same as our Laika Dealer ..

.. :):D2:D2:D2:D2:D2:D2(y)

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
I wonder what will happen to marquis as there leading brand of majestic is based on elddis vans
Marquis were recently bought by trigano
A competitor to hymer

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Seems German companies are hedging their bets. I am thinking if our Governmet stick to their guns re a hard brexit Hymer and the others would be able to move production to the uk and if our government crumble they can close any U.K. Factories and move production to Germany.

I confess I voted to stay and have been relieved my business has not been affected and sales have continued to be strong and I am now feeling positive about the possibilities of leaving the EU so hope Theresa May plays hard ball with the EU.

Who knows Greece could be kicked out of the Euro yet and France could vote to leave and suddenly we have a head start.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Next time someone asks me what make is my Motorhome, can I say it's a Hymer Autoquest 155 :D2:D2:D2

OR,

When someone on here says, "Ya can't beat German vans" I can say,"Yup, I've got one of their variants" :D2

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Next time someone asks me what make is my Motorhome, can I say it's a Hymer Autoquest 155 :D2:D2:D2

OR,

When someone on here says, "Ya can't beat German vans" I can say,"Yup, I've got one of their variants" :D2
And the resale value will go up if you get a Hymer badge on it and other Hymer owners will wave to you ..oh the prestige is enormous. Lol.

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Seems German companies are hedging their bets. I am thinking if our Governmet stick to their guns re a hard brexit Hymer and the others would be able to move production to the uk and if our government crumble they can close any U.K. Factories and move production to Germany.

I confess I voted to stay and have been relieved my business has not been affected and sales have continued to be strong and I am now feeling positive about the possibilities of leaving the EU so hope Theresa May plays hard ball with the EU.

Who knows Greece could be kicked out of the Euro yet and France could vote to leave and suddenly we have a head start.
Could be the other way that Germany may find it easier to sell to the rest of the world & not just Europe from the U.K. After brexit

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
They will be rebadged as Elddis Hymer . Wont be any changes to the already good quality just you will pay extra for that name ...lol
Why rebadge to Hymer Elddis or Elddis Hymer. Why not just keep Elddis? Burstner aren't Burstner Hymer badged.
It's far better that Hymer bought rather than yet another brand go to the wall?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Why rebadge to Hymer Elddis or Elddis Hymer. Why not just keep Elddis? Burstner aren't Burstner Hymer badged.
It's far better that Hymer bought rather than yet another brand go to the wall?
I agree ..but I wasn't being serious. I did type that tongue in cheek .lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back