LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
It says in the specs that my Encore 255 is winterised, I know it's Grade3 insulated, my question is... has it got a waste tank heater (it says so in the specs) and how does it work, how do I turn it on?...or off??...is it automatic?? TIA Ady

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Should be a switch either on the control panel near the tank. Normally thermostat controlled. Tank heaters don't really count as winterisaion as the heater draws a fair bit of current so not practical to run unless on EHU.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Should be a switch either on the control panel near the tank. Normally thermostat controlled. Tank heaters don't really count as winterisaion as the heater draws a fair bit of current so not practical to run unless on EHU.
Thanks Lenny, I'll have a look, I know it's not "winterisation" German style, but it's got to be better than nowt

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I keep thinking I need to find out more about mine, I think it's 12v judging by the exposed spade connectors underneath. Don't know what controls it, probably a bi-metallic type klixon.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks Lenny, I'll have a look, I know it's not "winterisation" German style, but it's got to be better than nowt

I have a few pals who use their Elddis vans in the cold and they don't seem to have any issues.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I have a few pals who use their Elddis vans in the cold and they don't seem to have any issues.

Ours has been alright but I dread to think what current it will guzzle at 12v to power a heater. Must look into it soon, I might have a look tomorrow..

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I presume the fresh is inside so just leave the waste open draining into a collapsible bucket of something, not properly winterised but adequate. I presume no fresh water pipes run underneath so you should be fine.
One of the reasons we got our little Concorde is alde heating, all water systems including waste are contained within a heated double floor.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Ours has been alright but I dread to think what current it will guzzle at 12v to power a heater. Must look into it soon, I might have a look tomorrow..
I fitted heater elements in the tanks of our Autosleeper. I bought them from Cak Tanks and they drew 30 watts at 2.5 amps. Each
They were thermostatically controlled so weren’t on all the time. You need to keep an eye on your batteries when using them without external power

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
I have not seen any form of control on mine so presumably fully automatic.

Good reason to make double sure control panel is off when stored over winter. Both tanks under slung so could be worth unplugging waste Hester and leaving drain tap open and a bucket under as suggested, really don’t see point in wasting leccy heating up waste water.

I would also check the insulation is secure, not the most impressive job on the Elddis, they way the outer insulation is secured.

You should also have a couple of fridge vent covers.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I presume the fresh is inside so just leave the waste open draining into a collapsible bucket of something, not properly winterised but adequate. I presume no fresh water pipes run underneath so you should be fine.
One of the reasons we got our little Concorde is alde heating, all water systems including waste are contained within a heated double floor.
I too have alde heating, but not the double floor!! Clean tank under bed near heater(y)

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I have not seen any form of control on mine so presumably fully automatic.

Good reason to make double sure control panel is off when stored over winter. Both tanks under slung so could be worth unplugging waste Hester and leaving drain tap open and a bucket under as suggested, really don’t see point in wasting leccy heating up waste water.

I would also check the insulation is secure, not the most impressive job on the Elddis, they way the outer insulation is secured.

Fresh tank inside, but as it’s a used MH, I didn’t get the fridge covers!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
It says in the specs that my Encore 255 is winterised, I know it's Grade3 insulated, my question is... has it got a waste tank heater (it says so in the specs) and how does it work, how do I turn it on?...or off??...is it automatic?? TIA Ady

On our 195, the tank heater switch is next to the main fuse box.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp

@Paul an Jane MK Can you tell me if I need LS100, LS200 or LS300 vents for my 255, also do you have the sizes of your vents handy, I'm coming round to thinking the tanks aren't heated (how would I tell?) and no vent covers as they were a £299 "WINTERIZED PACK" extra. TIA Ady

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
You should have a choice on your control panel to fire up your tank heaters but don’t do it unless required and best when connected to a power supply.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You should have a choice on your control panel to fire up your tank heaters but don’t do it unless required and best when connected to a power supply.

Yes agree no good unless on hook up as they use too much power, all they had to do at build stage was run 2 pipes from the heating system, one to the fresh and one to the waste. Or just run 1 pipe to the waste if the fresh water is inside. It would have cost another 50 quid for the double skinned tank and 2 quid for the pipe.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
On our old 155 they we thermostatically controlled and only came on at or below 4 degrees and only worked when there was water in them fresh and grey on 2016 155.
Worked on a float switch.
There was a dealer fix so they put an isolation switch near the fuse board.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Can’t see an option on the control panel and can’t find nothing on it in the bumf I got with the motorhome.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Can’t see an option on the control panel and can’t find nothing on it in the bumf I got with the motorhome.
That's the same as ours, been under it today to check the spare tyre. The tank heater is connected with white and blue single 1.5mil cables that go into that sticky black loom tape stuff, then disappear behind the spare wheel. Higher up on the tank is two small black wires on a pcb type plug & socket, they are for the tank full indicator LED.

I'll trace the heater wires inside when I get time.

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Bit late but just noticed your post. Lot of mis-information about the Elddis Encore system. Read below what Elddis says it might surprise you.

Further to your telephone call of recent date regarding your Elddis Encore Motorhome.

Please find attached the information requested for the tank heaters in your motorhome.

We can confirm the winter pack option consists of the following items:-
· Tank wrap
· Automatic de-frost element
· Lower winter cover
· Upper winter cover
· Suitable harness to operate

The automatic de-frost element is placed in the water tank and is designed that when the temperature gets below 5° it automatically operates and will heat the water to stop it from freezing.

**** (model dependant)

We would like to advise the tank wrap is a foil wrap which is around the fresh water tank to add further protection against frost. The suitable harness is the electrical side of the component which connects the product to the vehicle. The automatic defrost element is located within the fresh water tank, the system is fully automatic and will only operate when water is in the tank. As stated in your owners manual, we would never advise customers to leave water within the tanks when not using the vehicle for long periods of time and always request the system is fully drained down. There is a switch located inside the vehicle which regrettably is not labelled, as it does not require to be switched on or off, with the tank heaters being automatic.

The heaters are connected directly to the leisure battery and the heater will automatically operate when the vehicle is in use and the temperature of the water drops below 5°.

We hope this helps and we would like to assure you of our best intentions at all times.

Kind Regards

Nicola Bell

Elddis Customer Care

Do not leave water in tank as heaters will come on and drain battery below 5 degrees.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The automatic defrost element is located within the fresh water tank, the system is fully automatic and will only operate when water is in the tank.
Do not leave water in tank as heaters will come on and drain battery below 5 degrees.
Obviously haven't got a clue about their own products.

There is a switch located inside the vehicle which regrettably is not labelled, as it does not require to be switched on or off, with the tank heaters being automatic.
Still trying to think of a suitable answer, apart from "unbelievable".:D2

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
There is a switch located inside the vehicle which regrettably is not labelled, as it does not require to be switched on or off, with the tank heaters being automatic.

Me thinks Nicola Bell has not bothered to properly read what she has written.

A switch that can be turned on or off without making any difference. Bizarre.

Every switch in our Encore 255 turns something on or off so must have stopped fitting them on the latest model.

Scary the level of knowledge, a bit like the dimming lights in lounge and bedroom with no mention in the manual. Cool feature but only found by luck

Roly and Toni

Free Member
Jul 26, 2019
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Encore 275
Exp
10 years
I have been down the same road with the above and mine is a encore 275 with winterisation and it does have tank heaters each drawing 2.5 amps they come on at about 5 but might not go off till 10 degrees there was no switch but there is individual in line fuses behind the PDA or fuse box in cupboard below fridge these I have extended and put into a box with a switch on so if fuses go I can change them and when rallying in cold weather I can switch the heaters off.
72508A37-499F-4ED0-AD83-080C8D364A34.jpeg

Nov 10, 2023
Sunderland, UK
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Encore 275
Exp
since 2018
So when draining the 275 down how do you have to empty the tank heater?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back