Elddis Bathroom Lock Failures (1 Viewer)

Mar 11, 2014
Motherwell
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2012
Hi, first time on the forum for me and I could do with some advice.We bought a new Elddis Autoquest last May and are about to have our 5th bathroom door handle fitted as they keep failing ( tongue in lock won't pop out) usually when we are travelling.We have had the locks replaced at the orig dealer in Teeside,at the Elddis factory (lasted the drive from Consett to Scarborough) and at MRC in Glasgow.We are losing faith obviously as we think these locks look quite good and think the problem may be in the door set up.Has anyone else suffered from this and if so, has anyone got a cure ?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Is it a magnetic door lock "tongue"?
Our Auto-trail bathroom lock failed a couple of weeks ago with same symptoms. A side comment from the dealer who repaired said "it'll be the magnet that's come loose". Fixed as part of a couple of warranty issues and has been OK for last 10 days or so.
Are they just repairing the old one or fitting new ones?

OP
OP
DougA
Mar 11, 2014
Motherwell
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2012
Hi, not magnetic ( wish it was though) just a normal chrome handle and it has been replaced at every occasion

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know what your lock is like but is it only doing sometimes, is the wood on your door swelling a bit, with condensation from your bathroom

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi, not magnetic ( wish it was though) just a normal chrome handle and it has been replaced at every occasion
OK, if it's a spring latch do the handles return to the horizontal position? If so, it may be the square spindle is not located properly in the handles and latch but..........

OP
OP
DougA
Mar 11, 2014
Motherwell
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for replies - definitely not condensation as shower has never been used yet

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
B&Q!

That's where ours came from to replace the original crappy plastic one that Chausson fitted!
Our square shaft was domestic sized so we chose a nice contemporary brushed stainless design and fitted that instead.

OP
OP
DougA
Mar 11, 2014
Motherwell
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2012
Just in case any frustrated Elddis owners see this in the future,I think a solution may have been found.I managed to get my hands on the part and open it up.It looks Chinese made and appears to be a very simple mechanism depending on a single twisted wire to push the "tongue"out.The wire is obviously not the best grade and has failed repeatedly in my case.I have replaced the wire with 2no tensile steel springs and it seems to be working OK.Fingers etc crossed !

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Who locks the bathroom door? Never tried!:LOL:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
We had that problem with our door, when I phoned Marquis knew exactly what the problem was and how to fix it so it's obviously a known issue.

OP
OP
DougA
Mar 11, 2014
Motherwell
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
since 2012
Hi,thanks for replies - Re TerryL,not so much privacy problem as the lock fails in unlocked position (5 times in 7 months of use ) with the "tongue" stuck in and the door slammin about when you're driving.Re steelysteph,think you are right from what I've picked up from owners and dealers.Elddis are or should be aware and should do something.We saw a brand new van in a showroom with the same problem and the lock lying in bits so sent a photo of it to the MD - haven't got it resolved but got our year 1 warranty extended for another year to compensate for all the problems including this.Wish I knew how Marquis fixed the lock !! I am keeping my new "improved" lock in the van so that I can fit it myself when the latest Elddis replacement fails (note when not if ). Not really what you should be doing with a brand new van but I have more faith in "my" lock than the originals and can't stomach any more days wasted getting repairs carried out.

May 16, 2016
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 140
Exp
Message for DougA please. How did you manage to attach the springs to the door plate? I assume ,probably wrongly, that you fixed them to the arms at the back of the unit.

cbrown1360

Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
I know it's some time since original post but the catch on the bathroom door lock on my Elddis Accordo 105 failed a couple of weeks ago. Stiil waiting for replacement part from Elddis and in meantime door is wedged closed during transit with pieces of cardboard and a large heavy item placed at the base of the door. Not bad for a 2 year old van eh?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ours failed 6 months ago. I drilled the rivets out and found a broken torsion spring (like a clothes peg spring). I made a new one out of a piece of pipe bending spring, made it the right size using a couple of long nosed pliers and it's been ok since.
You can use a bungee round the basin tap to keep the door closed temporarily.

iansan33

Free Member
Sep 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 135
If anyone comes a searching, it's a common fault and a mechanism can be had from ebay for about Ā£18. You'll need a cross head driver and an allen key set to do what you need. Dealers will charge a lot more for whats only an hours work for a novice like me.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Had our autoquest now for 5 years, no issues with bathroom door latch apart from the odd time it opens on its own because we haven't engaged the lock properly. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back