Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
As I posted before, of the people I've spoken to (in the flesh, not on a forum) who own or have owned them nearly half have been "sold a pup"

That's far too big a ratio for me.

If yours is one of the good ones and you're happy with it that's great for you but the "pups" are far more widespread than you seem to want to accept.
As I posted before, of the people I've spoken to (in the flesh, not on a forum) who own or have owned them nearly half have been "sold a pup"

That's far too big a ratio for me.

If yours is one of the good ones and you're happy with it that's great for you but the "pups" are far more widespread than you seem to want to accept.

But is that any different from any other manufacturer unless you're spending substantially more, any search on here will bring up issues with 90% of the manufacturers, the biggest issue IMO is how the dealership sorts the issues, that will dictate the overall opinion

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But is that any different from any other manufacturer unless you're spending substantially more, any search on here will bring up issues with 90% of the manufacturers, the biggest issue IMO is how the dealership sorts the issues, that will dictate the overall opinion

For me that many reports of the same problem in such a small sample is worrying.

I've never heard of anything similar for any other type of vehicle, not just motorhomes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
For me that many reports of the same problem in such a small sample is worrying.

I've never heard of anything similar for any other type of vehicle, not just motorhomes.

Damp in a Swift, I've had first hand experience :D

milsh

Free Member
Feb 29, 2016
Sunderland
Funster No
MH
Autoquest
Exp
We have recently bought a new majestic 175, and although very happy with it there are a few stupid problems that should have been picked up when it was designed and built in my humble opinion.

For us the retractable step is stupidly located right behind the rear wheel and gets covered in crap all the time ! solved by a cheap mudflap and bit of perspex tie wrapped to the step's metal frame by myself.

A vent cover under the fridge wasn't installed at the factory ( should have been picked up by quality control) this allowed water spray from the rear wheel to enter into the floor space under the fridge, and thus into the floor area of the MH soaking the carpet.. This also damaged the rear step relay so it would not automatically close on engine start up.
The tv amplifier was wired incorrectly, How on earth they cocked this up is a mystery as surely a 5 yr old can understand the difference between in and out!
All daft stuff really, and easily fixed, but shouldn't need to be done on a new van costing 40k+ But were still over the moon with the van in general and the layout is perfect for us.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
My first two Motorhomes were both autosleepers and the build quality was great. However, when I came to buy my third, I noticed that the build quality of the autosleepers seemed to have slipped a little and the price was now too high for me so we started looking at others. In the end we went for an Elddis Autoquest 100 which was just the layout we wanted at the time and was in my opinion, great value for money. The build quality was obviously lower but we had this for 6 years, it took a lot of treatment but still looked as good as new when we sold it. We were so impressed we bought a Elddis Autoquest 140 about 4 years ago. Again this is heavily used and is still in great condition. I've been really pleased with our Elddis Motorhomes but then my budget is probably more restricted than some.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We originally had an Elddis Autoquest 120 and it was fine build quality wise. We traded it in to get two improvements, a larger water tank, the Elddis was just 45l we now have 100l, and a separate shower. Couldn't stand the wet room idea with a shower curtain, now have a separate shower with a bi-fold glass door. As a bonus we got a wider bed. Horses for courses.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Visiting the Elddis website shows reviews from various respected independent Caravan & Motorhome media companies whose reviews I would expect to be objective & unbiased.
The many awards Elddis have earned & achieved over many years are not biased i.m.o. as they are independently awarded.
Are these "independent companies" the same ones that rely upon advertising revenue from their publications and websites? That comment is not anti-Eldiss or any other make, it is just that I have a healthy degree of scepticism of some of the supposedly "independent" reviews I see in many motorhome publications and websites. It is a very small pond and few want to cause too many waves.

In part of my working life I am called upon to be truly independent and unbiased, not only actually, but apparently. As far as I can see few reviewers of motorhomes would pass the legal test for apparent, if not actual, bias

R

Rita and Andrew

Deleted User
My first two Motorhomes were both autosleepers and the build quality was great. However, when I came to buy my third, I noticed that the build quality of the autosleepers seemed to have slipped a little and the price was now too high for me so we started looking at others. In the end we went for an Elddis Autoquest 100 which was just the layout we wanted at the time and was in my opinion, great value for money. The build quality was obviously lower but we had this for 6 years, it took a lot of treatment but still looked as good as new when we sold it. We were so impressed we bought a Elddis Autoquest 140 about 4 years ago. Again this is heavily used and is still in great condition. I've been really pleased with our Elddis Motorhomes but then my budget is probably more restricted than some.
Just picked up in July a brand new 175 majestic from marquis, it hadn't had the cover fitted either, I don't think they bother. It caused damage to the carpet, the fly screen on the roof vent was damaged, obviously when fitting, the door catch fell off after two weeks, one internal door was warping, the shower doors disassemble automatically every time the Motorhome moves, the door lock is very stiff, the worktop needs replacing, you can't get heating to flow into the shower room, the water pump is incredibly loud, the steering is incredibly light,
But apart from that all good! Oh and you can't get work done from any other Elddis dealership as they don't give a dam!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Maybe, maybe not - how can you be sure ?

I disagree with your definition - there are many people who give honest reviews without bias.

You are clearly anti Elddis for reasons you didn't state.
No Nick is against anything British so cant be biased can he. haha lol .sorry nick just saying . Roy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No Nick is against anything British so cant be biased can he. haha lol .sorry nick just saying . Roy

Not at all.

Show me a British built motorhome, with the same layout, and built to the same standard and same specification as my Rapido and I'll gladly take a look at it.

You might find the layout although I couldn't find any other van, British or otherwise, that had it. I don't believe you will find the build quality or spec level in a British van though.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Not at all.

Show me a British built motorhome, with the same layout, and built to the same standard and same specification as my Rapido and I'll gladly take a look at it.

You might find the layout although I couldn't find any other van, British or otherwise, that had it. I don't believe you will find the build quality or spec level in a British van though.
. For the same price Nick. However I do like the rapido and would love one ,but well out of my pocket money range ,so a compromise has always got to be made ..i am very lucky with my 2005 autocruise stargazer great build and reliability and have had it for nearly 10 years ..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
. For the same price Nick. However I do like the rapido and would love one ,but well out of my pocket money range ,so a compromise has always got to be made ..i am very lucky with my 2005 autocruise stargazer great build and reliability and have had it for nearly 10 years ..

I partially take your point there. Charging less for your product is no excuse for shoddy build quality though.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I love my Rapido and the build quality,(y) Autocruise were great motor homes before swift got there hands on the mark shame they don't do them anymore, again great build quality.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Perhaps there are some British converters who can work to an acceptable standard. When the horror stories emerge it's usually the same names - Swift, Eldiss etc - that crop up.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I love my Rapido and the build quality,(y) Autocruise were great motor homes before swift got there hands on the mark shame they don't do them anymore, again great build quality.
Kevan I have drooled over rapidos for a long time ,and if it was within my means I would be out looking for one now ,however they are not and my van is in great shape and paid for ..so will just carry on drooling .haha

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Kevan I have drooled over rapidos for a long time ,and if it was within my means I would be out looking for one now ,however they are not and my van is in great shape and paid for ..so will just carry on drooling .haha

Well' we will see you at Twin Lakes we are there for the duration,
(third time this year) Gary will be getting fed up of us:)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

When we were looking for a MH we hadn't the faintest idea what was good, bad or indifferent, we had a large budget, in the region of 60k if necessary, but the more we looked the less we found, MH's all shapes & sizes & makes, many with interstellar mileages & too many previous owners for our liking, after a while we knew the layout that would work for us after viewing several the Autoquest 145 was perfect for us & little dog & our very limited usage.

Yes, we could have bought a very expensive garden ornament & achieved badge / make snobbery, but that is not us, as it turns out our low mileage ( 6300 at time of purchase ) 1 previous owner, in ''as new'' condition, full hab' & service history, 2 years full warranty, MH has had no issues, bar one heated mirror failure & that was fixed under warranty, doesn't leak & works perfectly in every respect.

The 35k we saved by not spending our full budget will fund many holidays abroad.

What's not to like :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When we were looking for a MH we hadn't the faintest idea what was good, bad or indifferent, we had a large budget, in the region of 60k if necessary, but the more we looked the less we found, MH's all shapes & sizes & makes, many with interstellar mileages & too many previous owners for our liking, after a while we knew the layout that would work for us after viewing several the Autoquest 145 was perfect for us & little dog & our very limited usage.

Yes, we could have bought a very expensive garden ornament & achieved badge / make snobbery, but that is not us, as it turns out our low mileage ( 6300 at time of purchase ) 1 previous owner, in ''as new'' condition, full hab' & service history, 2 years full warranty, MH has had no issues, bar one heated mirror failure & that was fixed under warranty, doesn't leak & works perfectly in every respect.

The 35k we saved by not spending our full budget will fund many holidays abroad.

What's not to like :)
If you are happy with your choice then good for you. But there is no need to insult others who make a different choice by calling them snobs. We chose a Hymer because we liked it, just the same reason as you chose an Eldiss.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
If you are happy with your choice then good for you. But there is no need to insult others who make a different choice by calling them snobs. We chose a Hymer because we liked it, just the same reason as you chose an Eldiss.

Please don't insult my intelligence - where in my text do I insult anyone personally ?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

Furthermore, where do I mention ANY manufacturer in my text ?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
"badge / make snobbery,"

I still await an answer as to where in my text I insult anyone personally.

In any case, your MH manufacturer & the major French brand are hardly badge / make snobbery - they are as common as any British MH - I was rather thinking of a properly ridiculously expensive MH, that although we could easily afford would not be any more useful to us than the one we purchased.

R

Rita and Andrew

Deleted User
There is a lot to be said for a nearly new van, you would expect all the issues to be rectified, some of ours should have been before we collected, the rest by any Elddis dealer, but unless you buy it from them, you can go whistle. That is completely unacceptable, Elddis should be ashamed this situation could arise, I had to practically beg to get any service, the only reason they said they would is that living so close they hoped to get future paid business.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There is a lot to be said for a nearly new van, you would expect all the issues to be rectified, some of ours should have been before we collected, the rest by any Elddis dealer, but unless you buy it from them, you can go whistle. That is completely unacceptable, Elddis should be ashamed this situation could arise, I had to practically beg to get any service, the only reason they said they would is that living so close they hoped to get future paid business.

That's unfortunately not confined to Eldiss. Most of the British dealers have got a bit of a rep for doing that.

It shouldn't be the case but it's yet another area where the Europeans wipe the floor with their UK counterparts.

R

Rita and Andrew

Deleted User
Nick Nic, I may not be a fast learner, but I am not a no learner, I can't see my next van being built in Britain, and if the wife gets her way, that might be sooner than later. More likely our next van will be German.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Well then gentlemen-we have just become the new owners of a 12 month old Elddis 175 Riva GT Gold 2 berth bought from a major dealer. Apart from a few problems caused by the previous owner, i.e. breaking a habitation area locker door by standing on it causing the hinges' self tapping screws to part company with the chipboard cupboard door.(DUH!) Not fitting rear mudflaps to stop general road muck from gluing up the electric step. Running the water pump dry thereby making it now run noisily. All these faults of course, should have been seen and rectified before handover but they were not. These will now by put right by the dealer (at their cost) who sold us the vehicle of course but obviously, they were caused by the actions/inactions/lack of knowledge/attitude of someone else. We will have to wait and see what other problems occur but, currently, we are very pleased with the setup we have. As for the driveability, I can only describe it as superb. I cannot fault it and was worth every penny we paid for it. We will test it fully and any other faults will be put right before it becomes totally our responsibility warrantywise. What I will not say, is that the base vehicle is in any way sub standard as it is clearly not. Similarly, I can say that the habitation conversion put on to it is brilliantly thought out and very capably done. I am a satisfied customer of an Elddis motorhome who has no complaints, not on an elddis site, with nothing to gain and from what I have seen; am certainly not in any way in a minority.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back