Elan Oaks Rhayader - my personal view. (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Just back from a night at Elan Oaks - it's undergoing renovation, so here's my thoughts:

It's in an exceptional location - relatively easy access (the cross roads in Rhayader can be a kerfuffle) just underneath the Elan centre. There are several valleys to explore and cycle routes along the reservoirs are excellent. With an e-bike I was able to circle the three reservoirs craig carreg and caban and cycle up and around claerwen reservoir.
I must have seen 200+ red kites and a lovely Merlin.
There are several other valleys to explore.

It needs a year or so to bed in. It's open all year round and presently there are major building works with concrete delivery late into the evening. Also the farm opposite had ongoing noisy building. Around a third or so of the pitches are open now and there is one block of three shower/WC which you are instructed in no uncertain terms not to use!.

The hard standings are large enough and fully serviced.

The website will give you an idea www.elanoaks.co.uk which I found to be overly aggressively unwelcoming. Email booking returns an email with various codes for entry etc and I never saw the owner. Despite the advert, I could not access any internet of any speed and there is NO phone signal - so slightly exposed.

The town is a pleasant 50 minute walk along cycle paths.

So a 65% approval from me! Will try again in a year or so.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi I stayed at the Wyeside Camping and Caravanning Club Site, was just a few minutes walk into town, very clean and friendly, easy to get to Elan Valley and the Kite feeding station.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back