EHU to home/garage (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, Is it ok to connect our motorhome to a socket in the garage to keep the batteries topped up - can it be left for days at a time or should it be disconnected after so long?

Also, could I leave the heating on, on a low setting on the thermostat, to reduce the chance of freezing pipes or would it be better with a small oil filled radiator or similar? Thanks, Paul

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi Camel, yes you can leave it plugged in for as long as you like without issue..
A small oil filled radiator is a good safe option too

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i agree with Jaws as i do it all the time. have stopped using the small oil filled rad since a recent post where one caught fire!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Hi Camel I leave mine on hook up permanently and leave the van heater on I am not a lover of oil filled radiators I leave the stat set for 15/20 degrees that keeps it nicely aired and doesnt freeze up:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
i agree with Jaws as i do it all the time. have stopped using the small oil filled rad since a recent post where one caught fire!

Oohhh No nice that.. I have been looking hard at the things recently too.. In the safety manuals that get passed around they are always top of the list.. Just goes to show !

Mind you, there is the other side of the coin..

Lord knows how many million oil filled rads are out there and it is def not that common for them to catch fire.. So far just your one Phil ( and how unlucky can you get !! )
And you can bet there are a lot more fires caused by fan heaters or those ruddy halogen light things..

Oh, just a thought but a couple of those nice little green house electric tube heaters might be handy.. Low wattage and you could put one each end of the van

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Camel I leave mine on hook up permanently and leave the van heater on I am not a lover of oil filled radiators I leave the stat set for 15/20 degrees that keeps it nicely aired and doesnt freeze up:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

15/20 degrees!!!!:Eeek:

Let us know who your leccy supplier is so we can afford to leave it that high too!!!!!:roflmto:

We have ours set at about 10 degrees, just enough to keep any fabrics from feeling cold.:thumb:

We have our charger on to provide a maintenance charge to the batteries too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Agree with the above but depending on your setup, the domestic batteries will be ok but the starting battery may not be maintained if there is no link.
We use an oil filled rad , all cupboards open and one vent slightly open. All cosy and dry .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
On our Autoquest (before I fitted a Battery Master) I used to keep the starter battery topped up when I had the van on EHU by using a Tronic T4X charger plugged into one of the van 240 sockets.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back