EHU--STILL can't make it work. (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I still can't get the EHU to work.

Handbook mentions a main switch--I've searched the van--no switch that I can find.
No main switch is shown on any diagram.

Where the lead goes into the m/home side there is a blue "hook" next to here the plug goes in--anyone know what this is?

It is so cold here that I've run an extension cable through the passenger window and connected up an electric convector heater on lowest setting. Will this be OK at night?

Could I have a duff EHU lead?

I am :cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be a duff lead...

the main switch will be on the mains consumer (fusebox) unit along with the other circuit breakers.

how do you know it isnt working on hookup ?
have you tried plugging something into a socket in the van ?
may just be the 12v side which isnt working on hookup.

the blue 'hook' is a locking tab so the blue plug cant just be pulled out.....you need to lift/press the hook to remove the lead.
if you can pull out the lead without pressing/lifting the hook, then it aint plugged right in and could be the problem.

convector heaters aren't the best thing to be left unattended.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Must be main switch somewhere..

wherever the ehu socket is mounted on the outside of the van try looking inside directly behind it.. usual places.. = under a false floor in the wardrobe.. in a locker... under a bench seat ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
S

stagman

Deleted User
I still can't get the EHU to work.

Handbook mentions a main switch--I've searched the van--no switch that I can find.
No main switch is shown on any diagram.

Where the lead goes into the m/home side there is a blue "hook" next to here the plug goes in--anyone know what this is?

It is so cold here that I've run an extension cable through the passenger window and connected up an electric convector heater on lowest setting. Will this be OK at night?

Could I have a duff EHU lead?

I am :cry:

The blue hook you mention sounds like the plug release . Do you have a light on your charger , what voltage is showing on your leisure battery . Yes you could have a duff hook up lead amongst other things .

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do you have one of these ?

Attachments

• ben.jpg
    ben.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
The blue hook you mention sounds like the plug release . [HI]Do you have a light on your charger , what voltage is showing on your leisure battery .[/HI] Yes you could have a duff hook up lead amongst other things .

Sorry--I don't understand the bit above.

The leisure battery has been charged up by the solar panel in the day so is saying 85% at the moment.

It's possible then that I haven't pushed the lead in properly (weak muscled woman here!!!!)

Dark now so will try again in the morning.

On the main control panel there are 3 fuse switches that say 12V and next to them 1 that says 220V. they are all in the ON position.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

The leisure battery has been charged up by the solar panel in the day so is saying 85% at the moment.

It's possible then that I haven't pushed the lead in properly (weak muscled woman here!!!!)

On the main control panel there are 3 fuse switches that say 12V and next to them 1 that says 220V. they are all in the ON position.

the one labelled 220v.....switch it off then back on again....may be a faulty internal contact in the breaker.

the blue plug can sometimes be very difficult to push into the hookup point....you should see the hook move a bit as it locks the plug in place...a bit like the latch on a garden gate.

Upvote 0

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Blue hook on left hand side of socket on our van, you lift it to release the cable. If you are able to pull out the cable without lifting this to do so, then maybe you dont have the cable pushed in far enough and are not connecting it correctly in the first place?
Ours is a bit tight,going in and coming out.

worth a check

regards
Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks PapaJohn

As it's now dark (no street lights here) can I safely leave my extension lead with heater on for tonight and I'll follow your steps in the morning?

Upvote 0
S

stagman

Deleted User

I would imagine that if your hook up was charging your batteries you would have 100% reading but not sure on the Benimar charging system I have a reading of around 14.8 volts on my meter when on hook up . When you push your hook up cable in you should hear that blue clip click to hold the plug secure n and you should not be able to unplug without pressing the clip to realease .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Definitely looking like use failure on my part :Sad: Will try again in the morning when it's light.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks PapaJohn

As it's now dark (no street lights here) can I safely leave my extension lead with heater on for tonight and I'll follow your steps in the morning?
a convection heater is safer than a fan heater but I still wouldn't be too happy leaving it on unattended.

if you must, then ensure it cant fall over if it gets windy etc as it could then overheat.

ideally an oil filled radiator is safest of the lot, but they have been known to leak oil so should be stood in a metal tray to catch any leaks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'll go out and check it but it's very stable, not close to upholstery so I think it should be as safe as it'd be in a house. With the wind chill here night temperatures are down to -15.
Thanks for all your advice.

Roll on Spring.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I assume you haven't drained the water system ?

if you have, then it wont matter a lot if you have no heating in the van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Water was supposed to have been drained when I picked it up but after reading the "purging" thread on here I was concerned. took it over to the man who is going to change the gas for me and he said water had been left in pipes and although there was ice in pipes, he thinks they are all OK. He lent me a convector heat to put in it and suggested keeping it warm at night. He is going to change the gas over for me in a couple of weeks and will go over all the pipe work to check it's all OK.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i dont know prices in France but it may be worth buying a smallish oil filled radiator for the van.

preferably one with multi heat settings and a thermostat.

set for maybe 300w and the stat set at 4 degree's.

that way the heater only comes on when its below 4deg and switch's off above 4deg, and is seriously more economical to run than a 1/2/3kw convector.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Blue hook on left hand side of socket on our van, you lift it to release the cable. If you are able to pull out the cable without lifting this to do so, then maybe you dont have the cable pushed in far enough and are not connecting it correctly in the first place?
Ours is a bit tight,going in and coming out.

worth a check

regards
Steve

I would go with the above. On our Autotrail, I ended up removing the spring loaded cap from the plug as it got in the way. With it on it made inserting the plug far enough to make contact very dificult.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
On our current MH I have to lift the cap in order to push the plug into the van socket. I also have to lift the cap to release it to remove. It may be this thats not connecting........

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back