EHU one or two leads? (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I normally carry 2 EHU leads, as especially on rural sites, in France the post can be a long way from the pitch, but I have not needed the second lead for any pitch in England, is it OK to leave it at home until we go back to Europe?
Difficult one that. Gissa clue how long the lead is.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I find it interesting the aversion of joining two cables.

Just walk onto a building site and look at the leads connected together, in all sorts of weather šŸ˜Š

OK it tends to be 110v but it can still strike you down.

Having said that any issue and it will trip so no worries there.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We only carry one unless we think we might need two. A CL in Yorkshire (not the one mentioned above, because it was flat) explained the pitching when I rang to book, and told us that if we wanted to park at the far end, we would need two cables. So we took two. Didn't use the second as, because it had been raining, we parked on the hard standing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When we bought our first PVC it came with a 30mtr cable. An electrician we knew said he would split the cable into a ten and a twenty. When got it back he had split it in half, 2x15mtr. I had intended to buy a short one for serviced pitches but it never happened.
When we were on a site in Rudeshiem we had to join the two cables. They asked if we had a junction box. I didnā€™t have one so they wrapped the joint in a supermarket bag and gaffer tape.
I donā€™t think meany people carry a junction box from what I have seen on sites.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
25mt, I've used 2 in France but never needed the 2nd one here
I only tour abroad with my 25m one cut into 15m and 10m and I only once found that the two joined weren't long enough. Mind you, I've found that most sites abroad allow you choose a pitch rather than allocating one so I probably automatically avoid those far from a bollard.
On the very few occasions I've overnighted at a commercial site in the U.K. just one of the cables was enough.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
I find it interesting the aversion of joining two cables.

Just walk onto a building site and look at the leads connected together, in all sorts of weather šŸ˜Š

OK it tends to be 110v but it can still strike you down.

Having said that any issue and it will trip so no worries there.
Building site transformers normally output 55v-0-55v.

So 110v at the tool, but (assuming you only touch one wire) only 55v to earth.

(I test 240v and 110v equipment)

Edited to add: All 110v equipment I've seen is also double insulated.

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Building site transformers normally output 55v-0-55v.

So 110v at the tool, but (assuming you only touch one wire) only 55v to earth.

(I test 240v and 110v equipment)

I was always told itā€™s not the voltage that kills you itā€™s the amperage šŸ˜Š

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
I was always told itā€™s not the voltage that kills you itā€™s the amperage šŸ˜Š
This is true. "It's the volts that jolts, but the mills (milliamps) that kills".

But ... Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points.

So I'd rather cut through a live 55v cable than a 240v one.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I think we have a winner at 75m šŸ˜†
Any advance on 75m? šŸ˜
Yes, a full 100m drum of 2.5sq mm, which I would take and use on a CL, that is now closed, after the farmer died. Because of the weight of our unit, the old gent would let us stand on the concrete by one of his barns by the camping field. All the hook up points were around the other side of the field. There was a bit of a voltage drop, down around 210v, but everything seemed to work ok.

So, you lose. :rofl:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
For 10 years we carried a 25 metre one and we never needed longer. When we bought the new van there was a new 10metre cable with it so we now carry both but weā€™ve never needed both.

Who knows , one day we might , but weā€™ll be ready!! I was a girl guide ā€œbe preparedā€.

If weā€™re going to rallies weā€™re really reckless and leave them at home so that Nick can squeeze in more cider, very important in a PVC.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This is true. "It's the volts that jolts, but the mills (milliamps) that kills".

But ... Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points.

So I'd rather cut through a live 55v cable than a 240v one.
55v is totally safe. The limit of safety is 80v. I spent half my working life working on live 50v equipment where no precautions against shock were taken or needed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back