Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a 25m on a drum and 10m just coiled up on a hook in the garage. I seem to find that a lot of the time the 10m is just too short so I will possibly invest in another 10m or perhaps 15m.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Don't be going to Caravan Club sites then.

They have banned joined cables, even with one of the waterproof connectors.

A soft ban earlier this year, with information given to the miscreant :)wasntme:) , but at some point will be banned completely.

Reactions: M-J
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
For joining two leads you can buy a waterproof cover, rated at IP44 which means it's splash proof from any direction, but not for suitable for immersion, so best placed on a brick or bucket in case of a flood or puddle developing around the joint.
The IP44 (Ingress Protection) rating means protected from water splashes from any direction. But not hose jets, or any kind of immersion, even for a short time. The 'waterproof' cover is rated IP44, as you say.

If you look carefully at the round blue plug and socket you will see that the plug and socket are also rated at IP44. So the waterproof cover is no more and no less waterproof than the plug and socket. There are literally millions of these connectors in use every day, in all weathers, in all corners of the UK and throughout Europe.

To avoid any possible immersion, if I can't hang the connector from a fence or bush, I raise it on a stone or brick and put a bucket over it.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

A soft ban earlier this year, with information given to the miscreant :)wasntme:) , but at some point will be banned completely.

I thought that ban had been in force for ages, I'm sure I was told off for doing that, by a Caravan Club warden, years ago when it was still called the Caravan Club.šŸ¤”

Did they say what the punishment would be? No electricity or purchase of a longer cable perhaps? šŸ˜€

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
2 x 15m orange cables coiled up by hand.
Just made a new 10m blue cable up for home as the last one was about 20 yr old and showing signs of distress.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
I thought that ban had been in force for ages, I'm sure I was told off for doing that, by a Caravan Club warden, years ago when it was still called the Caravan Club.šŸ¤”

Did they say what the punishment would be? No electricity or purchase of a longer cable perhaps? šŸ˜€
You are right, but seems they intend to enforce it now.

As for punishment, maybe being barred from the heated toilet block until you comply :unsure: :LOL:

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
We have a 25m and 15m, with both being the heavier duty of the two orange cable types available, plus a Eurosocket adapter and polarity reversing adapter. I have needed the former a few times in Spain especially. I wind the cables on rectangular plastic frames as the end result is less bulky and easier to store than drums.

Interesting information about the ban, but we are unlikely to be going to a Caravan Club site anytime soon, so I'm not too concerned, and in any case, although we have a waterproof joining pod, I've never needed to use it, and only rarely needed the longer cable.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None

This is not a rule made by the club..

it is to comply with electrical regulations for installations on caravan parks

extract>>
Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 12.03.38.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
This is not a rule made by the club..

it is to comply with electrical regulations for installations on caravan parks

extract>>
View attachment 908603
I can understand the continuous length bit, but I wonder why included in the "must have" statement the length has to be 25m +/- 2m?

Maybe that is deemed to be long enough in all cases to avoid dangerous stretching of the cable or the need to join cables. Seems a bit arbitrary to me.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
I can understand the continuous length bit, but I wonder why included in the "must have" statement the length has to be 25m +/- 2m?
If I recall correctly (can't find it just now ) the site layout regulations say that a electrical bollard should be no more than 20mt from the pitch ... so 25mt will cover any extra distance to the caravan / motorhome..

also why the both UK "Clubs"recommend a 25mt lead with no joints ..

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I have at least 2 x 25m in garage (house) and a 12m for van at home used to take it with me but now its on garage door. The intention is not to take one at all but a "thin one" is hiding in the battery box, probably to lend to someone desperate to get hooked. The cables get more use with my chain saw in my "forest" than with the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back