LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Well, after 6 months, our van is supposed to be ready in 10 days; right up to the wire as we leave for france in 2 weeks !!!!!! One thing we hadn't thought about was the hook up, done loads of uk camping in tents, caravans, campervans, however, never in France :unsure: Really silly question...... do we need an adaptor to hook up to the french aire/camping system ? ...... and why has someone at work mentioned a reverse current potential :eek: !!!!!!! ?

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Yes you do and I've heard that reverse polarity can be a problem in France you can can get a tester and and adapter off fleabay in time for your trip

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Thought French sites used the blue "Rayroll" plug same as us ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Usually you won't need an adaptor but on rare occasions you will need one for the French two pin type sockets, although the majority if sites have the same blue three pin sockets as we in the UK do. Most caravan/motorhome dealers sell adaptors and you can also buy them in France and you will find that some sites will lend you an adaptor if needed. (but better to take one with you) You plug you normal blue three pin plug into the adaptor and the goes into the two pin socket. As for reverse polarity, everything in your camper would work as normal if you ever experience it, which I haven't as far as I know. Site EHU will have an RCD and so should you motorhome, providing you are not taking electrical fittings apart whilst connected to EHU I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
This would do the trick - £5.98 delivered.

Broken Link Removed

It tends to be the older or smaller sites that have the continental 2-pin electric hook-ups, although not always the case.

As already mentioned, I wouldn't worry too much about polarity.

Mike

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I made a simple reverse polarity lead myself for those (rare) occasions when one has been needed.My missus wont let me into B&Q without adult supervision such is my diy ability, so if I can make up a lead that works anybody can!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The main EHU issue we've encountered in France is the distance from the pitches to the hook up post.

I always carry two EHU cables in France, although with a solar panel we rarely (if ever) use either of them.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The main EHU issue we've encountered in France is the distance from the pitches to the hook up post.

I always carry two EHU cables in France, although with a solar panel we rarely (if ever) use either of them.

Seconded!

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Usually you won't need an adaptor but on rare occasions you will need one for the French two pin type sockets, although the majority if sites have the same blue three pin sockets as we in the UK do. Most caravan/motorhome dealers sell adaptors and you can also buy them in France and you will find that some sites will lend you an adaptor if needed. (but better to take one with you) You plug you normal blue three pin plug into the adaptor and the goes into the two pin socket. As for reverse polarity, everything in your camper would work as normal if you ever experience it, which I haven't as far as I know. Site EHU will have an RCD and so should you motorhome, providing you are not taking electrical fittings apart whilst connected to EHU I wouldn't worry about it.

Not quite true, The most important thing is the appliance live isn't fused (in the plug) with reversed polarity therefore it is protected by 16/20a mcb at the CU
Also when something is switched off (light switch) as we tend to use SP ( single pole switches in the uk) in motorhomes (France use DP meaning both lines are disconnected) changing a bulb means the fitting is still live when you think it is switched off because you have in fact switched the neutral not the live with reverse polarity so to be absolutely sure switch of the mcb if you need to change bulbs or anything to do with the electrics

peter125

Free Member
Nov 26, 2012
cardiff south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1982
dont get caught ,reverse polarity cost me my charger unit , got tester its more common than you think , also no neutaral just try in different socket and test again or use reversed polarity lead , buy kit of ebay or make your own , dont spoil your holiday

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Not quite true, The most important thing is the appliance live isn't fused (in the plug) with reversed polarity therefore it is protected by 16/20a mcb at the CU
Also when something is switched off (light switch) as we tend to use SP ( single pole switches in the uk) in motorhomes (France use DP meaning both lines are disconnected) changing a bulb means the fitting is still live when you think it is switched off because you have in fact switched the neutral not the live with reverse polarity so to be absolutely sure switch of the mcb if you need to change bulbs or anything to do with the electrics

Useful info...many thanks, previously I must have been a hairs breadth from disaster a few times when fiddling with that, about which I knew nowt!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,
And take one of those triangular meter box keys with you as well. (Or a 10mm socket)
Handy for getting into the EHU box when you 'blow' the fuse. You won't have to bother the site management.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
dont get caught ,reverse polarity cost me my charger unit , got tester its more common than you think , also no neutaral just try in different socket and test again or use reversed polarity lead , buy kit of ebay or make your own , dont spoil your holiday

You definitely want to get the polarity correct.

A plug tester on Ebay is only £3.45.

Make or buy a lead for around £10.00.

Its not worth getting it wrong for less than £15.00 (y)

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
i got all mine from ebay.....

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!qMFESV3N4+CBRdC4KCQlw~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!qMFESV3N4+CBRdC4KCQlw~~60_57.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Thanx very much for that, as always, knowledgeable feedback :notworthy: I've been on ebay and bought the adaptor and the reverse polarity tester. Think we'll do without the polarity adaptor thing and just go without hook up if tests for that. Paying out so much as it's our first time abroad with new van eg maps, storage, outside chairs, european kit for van etc, thought we'd wait until next year for that. Thanx again :D

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You definitely want to get the polarity correct.

/QUOTE]

Could you state exactly why it matters? I understand the single-pole switching problem but as has been said unless you dismantle an appliance or change a mains bulb without unplugging or switching off at the main breaker there is no issue.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

See Gorse Hill's #9, sums it up in a clear way that even I understood. (My capacity to fail at any form of diy is legend where I live)!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back