LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I am looking to buy two new ones, any suggestions as to where I can get some from not at the stupid prices the dealers are asking. £32!!!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I bought from Johns Cross.. about the same price your quoting

you can make yourself, but you won't save a lot..

Orange 3 core 2,5 mm cable is about £1 per meter.. + plug + socket won't be much change left out of £30 per lead.

EDIT

50 mts cable on ebay = £44.12.

Broken Link Removed

so you could save a bit.. is it worth the hassle ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
depends on what length ya need
Broken Link Removed

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
or better still make ya own

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Some have thicker cable than others. I noticed this when I bought a spare for home.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
sue any extension lead cable would be ok for ehu so you can get a lead then replace the plugs because the ehu cables are for caravan mh it means the price goes sky high as normal
and good morning to u lol

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am sure a sparky will be along soon to explain, but personally I would not make one up from an orange extension lead. I have 2 hookup leads, one blue and one grey. They are both much thicker and heavier than a normal extension lead. Dont forget vehicles will be running over it and there will be times that there is a lot of ampage going through it. Dont be tempted to cheapskate on a hookup cable, all the electricity in your van goes through it.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
my ehu cable is a proper cable but its no different in size or makeup to any extension lead i have which also runs over the ground when im working imho ?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Am sure a sparky will be along soon to explain, but personally I would not make one up from an orange extension lead. I have 2 hookup leads, one blue and one grey. They are both much thicker and heavier than a normal extension lead. Dont forget vehicles will be running over it and there will be times that there is a lot of ampage going through it. Dont be tempted to cheapskate on a hookup cable, all the electricity in your van goes through it.
I can only presume that the light or orange colour is to prevent people tripping over them, a difficult to see known trip hazard placed across a walkway could cost you your life savings. Bet not a lot of people have thought of that. "Caution trip hazard" signs along the cable might alleviate the blame but beware it is a mine field out there.....someone is just waiting to make a claim from your bank account. ;)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Go to a local trade electrical supplier and buy 25m 2.5 blue article flex, and a couple of 16 amp connectors and make one (two) you probably won't save anything but the ease of use of using blue article flex in colder weather will make it all worth while

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A sparky was along.. I gave the correct cable size in my first post.

Orange 2.5mm 3 core is the correct cable..

You can upgrade to Artic cable which is coloured blue.. this remains flexible in very cold weather.. recommended if you are going skiing or visiting the Alps in winter.

25mts is the standard length.. and the legal maximum you can buy made up.. all ehu posts in the UK are within 25mt of the pitch.

If you are competent, making up yourself, buying plugs + sockets + cable will save a few pounds.

Abroad you will occasionally need more than 25mt , another 10mt length is a good idea as you can use it either where the ehu post is close, or add it to the 25mt cable to give a total of 35 mt.

Seldom will you need more than that

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You need a mate who is a sparky (y)Arctic (blue) Cable for nowt and two ends for aprox 6 quid :)OOOOOPS 4 ENDS you need two :D
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I can only presume that the light or orange colour is to prevent people tripping over them, a difficult to see known trip hazard placed across a walkway could cost you your life savings. Bet not a lot of people have thought of that. "Caution trip hazard" signs along the cable might alleviate the blame but beware it is a mine field out there.....someone is just waiting to make a claim from your bank account. ;)

Am on an Aire in France with around 40 vans on it. Am the only Brit here and not one has an orange cable, not even the Dutch. Maybe its a Brit thing. If anyone is waiting to make a claim on my bank account, first they will have to find Smudger, as he drank it dry and secondly I wish them luck.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I carry a 50m a 25m, a 10m and a 15m normally when abroad. I leave the 50m in my garage when back in the UK and as I know the site we're off too in a couple of weeks I know that I won't need it there.

But rather than 2 x 25m leads, cut the 2nd to a 10m and 15m, as Jim suggests and you'll have the best "mix n match"

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Dave if you are going to any of the meets I am going to..

You can have this one.... "Free"... (y)

20 or 25 mtrs, and in good condition... I have an inbuilt one on my superdooper rapido, and a few short ones.. :D

$_79.JPG

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here you go Dave -I am doing well on flee bay this morning- look at sellers other items
Broken Link Removed
and if you fancy making your own
Broken Link Removed
terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Am on an Aire in France with around 40 vans on it. Am the only Brit here and not one has an orange cable, not even the Dutch. Maybe its a Brit thing. If anyone is waiting to make a claim on my bank account, first they will have to find Smudger, as he drank it dry and secondly I wish them luck.
If my warning is something that you will think of in the future when you are plugging in then it was not a waste of time.:)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If my warning is something that you will think of in the future when you are plugging in then it was not a waste of time.:)

Strangely each time I plug my blue one in I think of JJ. Each time I plug my grey one in I will now think of your good self Buttons.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010

.. all ehu posts in the UK are within 25mt of the pitch.

Seldom will you need more than that

I was on a site in North Devon last year and had to join a 25mtr and 10mtr cable to reach the post.
It only just reached at that.
It was a busy site and well laid out and organised, not a work in progress so to speak.
Maybe they don't know the rules ;) :D

PS There were four sockets on each post (2x posts) serving 8x pitches and ours was the nearest post.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I was on a site in North Devon last year and had to join a 25mtr and 10mtr cable to reach the post.
It only just reached at that.
It was a busy site and well laid out and organised, not a work in progress so to speak.
Maybe they don't know the rules ;) :D

PS There were four sockets on each post (2x posts) serving 8x pitches and ours was the nearest post.

clearly they don't.. IEE regs state ..

There must be at least one supply socket for each pitch, the socket positioned so that it is between 0.8 m and 1.5 m above ground level, and no more than 20 m from any point in its pitch.

The regs also state that the max length of the extension cable is 25mts.. so the installation is not legal if you had to join two cables to reach the socket.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
clearly they don't.. IEE regs state ..

There must be at least one supply socket for each pitch, the socket positioned so that it is between 0.8 m and 1.5 m above ground level, and no more than 20 m from any point in its pitch.

The regs also state that the max length of the extension cable is 25mts.. so the installation is not legal if you had to join two cables to reach the socket.

I thought it was odd at the time, but to be honest, I didn't know the rules either.
Until now, that is.
Thank you for the useful information.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I thought it was odd at the time, but to be honest, I didn't know the rules either.
Until now, that is.
Thank you for the useful information.

In my original post I should have said .. all ehu posts in the UK are should be within 25mt of the pitch.

Not all sites are up to date with current regs .. but it's worth remembering, if the post is more than 25m it may not be all that's out of date..

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We stop often at a small CL, where because of the weight of our unit, we park on the concrete, by one of the farmers barns. Loverly view, anyway, I have made up a 100m yellow artic cable , for that site. But then, I'm not on a pitch. ;)

I was expecting a hideous voltage drop or other problems, but it all seems to work ok. :whistle:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I've had to use 100m of cable on some sites in Spain, not ideal, but when in Rome (well Spain LOL)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its about time we had WiFi and Bluetooth hook ups anyway

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We stop often at a small CL, where because of the weight of our unit, we park on the concrete, by one of the farmers barns. Loverly view, anyway, I have made up a 100m yellow artic cable , for that site. But then, I'm not on a pitch. ;)

and you won't be covered by the CL insurance either..

not that that would bother me.. I've used up to 100m on some aires..

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
just plug in what ya got and to hell with it all this rules and regs maybe best thing for all of us is not to bother getting out of bed :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back