Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi, another numptie question please!

We’ve got a standard EHU cable that is fine for the UK.

In preparation for our trip to France ?? and Spain ?? we’re just wondering if we need to buy another type of cable or an adapter for EHU’s in France and Spain please?

Many thanks! ?

Jul 20, 2015
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Ambulance Conversion
Exp
3 years
autorouter said
When you say UK electrics, I take it you mean the the round blue 3-pin connectors, not the square-pin 13Amp fused plugs. The round blue plugs are standard throughout Europe, including the UK. They are designed for outdoor use, and are weatherproof if properly assembled.

Yes I stand corrected. The blue round ones that you find in the UK. I did not know they were now standard in Europe. It is about 25 years since I was last in France

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
We’re in Europe every year, predominantly in Germany generally, but on some sites you can still find the 2 pinned “shuko” socket (although they DO have an earth connection, if you feel the polarity is incorrect, just reverse the shuko) I always carry an adapter, so no probs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2015
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Ambulance Conversion
Exp
3 years
bigalw35 said
We’re in Europe every year, predominantly in Germany generally, but on some sites you can still find the 2 pinned “shuko” socket (although they DO have an earth connection, if you feel the polarity is incorrect, just reverse the shuko) I always have an adapter, so no probs

Cheers, I'm a belt and braces bloke and I have two of the Shuko type connectors with one reversed just in case. Last year was my first time back in France for about 25 years so it's like starting from scratch.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
bigalw35 said
We’re in Europe every year, predominantly in Germany generally, but on some sites you can still find the 2 pinned “shuko” socket (although they DO have an earth connection, if you feel the polarity is incorrect, just reverse the shuko) I always have an adapter, so no probs

Cheers, I'm a belt and braces bloke and I have two of the Shuko type connectors with one reversed just in case. Last year was my first time back in France for about 25 years so it's like starting from scratch.
How do you know which Schuko is which? You have a 50% chance of reversing the L/N whenever you plug one in!

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
How do you know which Schuko is which? You have a 50% chance of reversing the L/N whenever you plug one in!

As a retired electrician I am also belt and braces, when we were tenting I converted the camping extension lead by adding a two neons, one red and one green, the red signifying incorrect, the green obviously correct, I have also installed exactly the same arrangement in the moho

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As a retired electrician I am also belt and braces, when we were tenting I converted the camping extension lead by adding a two neons, one red and one green, the red signifying incorrect, the green obviously correct, I have also installed exactly the same arrangement in the moho
I was querying the need for a reversed Schuko lead when reversal is accomplished by removing plug, turning 180 degrees, and replacing it.

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
I was querying the need for a reversed Schuko lead when reversal is accomplished by removing plug, turning 180 degrees, and replacing it.

I too mentally queried that answer, but there’s knowing and not knowing. I attend a motor bike rally in Osnabruke annually, and the extension board is always 180 out, LOL I’m sure the word polarity is not in the German diction

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
We’re in Europe every year, predominantly in Germany generally, but on some sites you can still find the 2 pinned “shuko” socket (although they DO have an earth connection, if you feel the polarity is incorrect, just reverse the shuko) I always carry an adapter, so no probs
In our continental nearest neighbours - France, Germany, Belgium, Spain and a few others - there are actually TWO types of sockets and THREE types of plugs:
France/Belgium have 2-pin round socket with reversed earth pin. There is a plug to match this socket.
SocketFr.jpgPlugFr.jpg
Germany/Spain and most other nearby countries have the 'Schuko' socket - 2-pin round with flat bits along the side, and a double sliding earth contact top and bottom. There is also a plug to match this socket.
SocketGerman.jpgPlugGerman.jpg
A French plug will not fit in a German socket, and vice versa.

There is a third type of plug which fits both sockets. It has a hole for the reversed earth pin and double contacts top and bottom for the sliding earth contact. This plug is fitted to all appliances and is probably the one that is on the 'Continental 2-pin to blue euro socket' adaptor.
SchukoPlug.jpg

The German/Spanish plug is reversible, but the French plug is not because of the reverse earth pin.

If you buy a plug from a hardware shop intending to make your own adaptor, you will very likely get one of the first two types, according to whatever country you are in at the time. The compatible third type of plug is available, but you have to look for it.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
LOL I’m sure the word polarity is not in the German diction
I don't imagine they need one very often. Everything is double pole switched & I suspect they may not bond neutral to earth. If so, polarity becomes pretty much irrelevant.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
On the way to Oberbron the polarity was INCORECT, on the way back (different pitch) it was correct, on both of these occasion's the sockets were blue Euro sockets.
Doesn't make any difference in Europe.
They don't differentiate between Phase and neutral like we do so any number of posts could have been 'reversed'

Upvote 0
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice and replies to my post about an adapter for our EHU cable for use in France and Spain!

We've bought one of the cable adapters, so thanks for the links. As our first port of call in France has been the Honfleur Aire where we've just used our standard EHU cable, we've not had to use our new adapter, but it's good to know we're well prepared!

Thanks again! ?

Upvote 0
Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ah the old 2 match stick trick eh.
There’s a boom and sparks in there somewhere!

I new a southern electric sparky who told us a storey about his mate who when drilling bus bars would do it live

Must be the same sparky we had we now call him crispy brown:oops:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back