Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We leave our van permanently plugged in at home. Heating is also set to low/winter setting on electric.
What's the feelings re this? Any tips?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My feeling is you are doing it exactly right, but only because I do exactly the same

Will wait with you for other opinions / contradiction

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Drained down, solar that smart charges both batteries but do give an EHU charge if left to long..
No heating at all, they dont heat them on dealer forecourts do they .. !

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
No heating at all, they dont heat them on dealer forecourts do they .. !

There was a comment on the TV programme 'Grand Designs' about leaving the heating on, it was to be fair, referring to a house with lots of windows.

The view put forwarded was windows & heating bad idea, condensation.

So I've got lots of windows in my MH... I use a dehumidifier.

I'm a newbie and could be totally wrong (Wife claims that's normal), but so far no condensation in the MH and cushions etc. are dry, no musty smell.

At the end of this winter I will personally know one way or the other, till then I'll keep going with the present method.

Regards

Mike:Smile::Smile:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
An interesting thread. :thumb:

I have EHU on and flick the charger on regularly, however I was 'warned' against putting the heating on all the time as the damage from inner condensation can be quite harmful - this was by a few caravaner friends. I understand in the depths of a really cold snap it's a good idea to have some warmth around any areas likely to freeze, but I'm not too sure about a constant heat being a good idea.

I am watching this thread carefully as I too am very interested in the outcomes/recommendations.

Trikeman.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I leave mine with an oil filled radiator on and two top vents slightly open and all cupboards and wardrobe doors open.
All is cosy and dry and with the addition of water and food ready for the ferry to Spain mid Jan :thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Mine is kept inside all year so I don't worry about the heating side of it.

I plug in a EHU every x2 weeks or so for a few hours just to keep the batteries going.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I keep mine inside the house :Smile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I always kept mine on EHU at home. Unfortunately it kept the batteries full.

Why unfortunately?

The alternator wasn't charging due to a bad earth (I found out later). Although it was charging enough to extinguish the warning light. When I was away to a rally for two or three days - no problems (not a heavy power user). Drive back home, plug in, batteries recharged.

After one longish drive and subsequent rally I couldn't get the van started, that's when the problem identified itself. Fortunately helpful Funsters helped me get it sorted:thumb:

So please be aware that constant EHU charging can mask potential problems.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Left on EHU, silver screens on, heating set to 14 degrees, all cupboards open a tad and ( at the moment) no water in the tanks.
We have an old caravan (1987 Bailey) that we store on a farm. Haven't used it since Aug 2011 but have checked on it now and again. It is just left as it is, in a field, no damp, no smell, no leaks, in fact just as we left it.
I suppose I could leave the heating off in the MH but it's handy if someone needs a bit of peace and quiet and to sit in when people are viewing the house ( it's for sale) if it's too wet to walk the dogs
Allan

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Living where we do, winter is not great problem although about now we do get hard frost.......... for a couple if days:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: .... life is hell out here !!!
Solar on all the time............ don't know why, it just is :thumb:

Regards, Bryan

OP
OP
sdc77

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hmm.. Mine has water on board (only a small travelling amount) and one of the reasons we leave it plugged in and warm is we will use it over the winter period. No condensation at all.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Drained down, no heat, ehu plugged in and charger on.
Our charger is designed to float and maintain all batteries. Not all are, notably some Sargent PSUs.
If you have an old fashioned fixed output charger and leave it on, it WILL ruin your batteries!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
EHU plugged in, no heating but run a low wattage dehumidifier once a week for 24 hrs, all drained down etc, cupboards open, and on really nice days will open the roof lights for an hour or so. :thumb:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
:winky: Use a combination of all these. Drain down. Dehumidifying crystals. Watch weather forecasts for severe frosts then use EHU and oil filled radiator. Solar panel in situ.
But first ...........as many trips as we can. :roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no problem.

older vans had pretty primative chargers which may overcharge the battery but most modern ones are multi stage and can be left on indefinately
:thumb:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We leave our van permanently plugged in at home. Heating is also set to low/winter setting on electric.
What's the feelings re this? Any tips?

SORRY< do you mean the MH's heating system?? we too plug into our home supply but we use an oil fired 700 watts heater to keep condensation and damp at bay and its surprising how it keeps the interior temp at 60-63F

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Mines always on, theres always water in the tank, always food in the cupboard and beer in the fridge (or the garage/locker this time of year!), the rads are left on in the winter months and the aircon in the summer, the TV's often on aswell.

...oh, hang on - thats 'cos we FT! :Doh:
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
As we have kept our caravans and motorhomes at the side of the house since 1993 they have always been plugged into mains 24/7, regarding heating in the winter months we always plug a thermostatically controlled plug into a mains socket set at 5c, then plug a fan heater into that.
During the winter we normally have around two weekends away each month so the bedding is always aired.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I too keep the batteries on hook up 24/7. As for heating, I don't bother, just crack a couple of top windows open and move the cushions inside the house. Not had any problems with damp doing this.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Get down South and use the van no need to worry then is there? :ROFLMAO:

During summer (what there is in The UK) just leave the van we will soon be out in it again and the solar keeps it charged.:thumb:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
If you have a Schaudt Elektroblock 12 volt charging system the following is worth a look. :thumb:

http://www.atlanticmotorhomeservices.co.uk/schaudt-elektroblock.php

Note the section "How to look after your EBL" and particularly item 8. :Eeek:

I just had a look at their website…………..they seem to be quite well informed and knowledgeable I'd say :Smile:

Looking at the bit about solar power makes for interesting reading…...

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Drained at the moment but we had filled up last week as we thought we were going to flood - so ready for quick get-away :ROFLMAO:

We also had the fridge filled and clothes packed but now empty again.

Don't hook up until we're getting ready to go away.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
On EHU at side of the house no heating on at the moment but do have a small heater to put in if temp drops
Water all drained down as only takes about 15 mins to fill up if we get away (away for new year)
Cushions in the house and cupboards all standing open
NO food kept in the van

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Should we close the blinds and put the external screens on?

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Have read that you should not leave blinds down something to do with the tension I would put on the screens for the windscreen
I'm planning to make cardboard screens to be covered with foil for the side windows once I'm on holiday and hopefully Santa bringing me a set of Silver screens

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I wonder how many static holiday home owners leave their heating on in-between holiday visits?
My vans at the side of my house not on ehu but there's a relay fitted that charges the engine batt via the solar panels.Dont bother with any heat but I do drive it every week or two,last year when it was very cold here I plugged in when the temps were extreme just as a precaution!
Condensation forms when warm air comes into contact with a cold surface,people who leave the heating on leave bowls of salt or use a dehumidifier to trap moisture. Strange how without heat I struggle to catch any :winky:

Vlad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back