Ehic or travel insurance in Europe (1 Viewer)

Do you use the EHIC card or buy travel insurance when touring Europe

• EHIC card

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • Travel insurance

Votes: 29 43.3%

• Total voters

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Ya know, I've often thought that I should buy my own aeroplane and offer air ambulance flights........ they make a fortune!!! :eek::whistle:
Great .... you could offer special discounts to Funsters and repatriate their motorhomes as well in one of these ......
300px-Bristol_170_Freighter_32_of_Silver_City_Airways.jpg

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Joyce and Brian where did you get your photo. I used to fly that plane and the rest of the fleet from Lydd 40 years ago. Must be getting old!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Joyce and Brian where did you get your photo. I used to fly that plane and the rest of the fleet from Lydd 40 years ago. Must be getting old!
I just nicked that picture from Silver City Airways Wiki page but I do somewhere have pics of my Dad's Renault R8 being loaded on to one at Lydd around 1958/9 .... maybe you were our pilot although that would have been approx 57 years ago!

PS EDIT .... Just thought it was a bit later .... 1963/4 I think.

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Not guilty I was there at the end in 1969/70. The last seasons they operated.
The last time I flew on one of the old crates would have been in the mid to late '70s between Southend and Brussels. I don't remember which carrier but it was just passengers, no vehicles.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Both.

EHIC covers emergency treatment. For all other, Travel Insurance is required.

It may be expensive to cover pre-existing conditions but, if you have eg a heart condition, would you take the chance?

You can always exclude a specific condition to lower costs but it depends on your attitude to risk.

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
I have the same
We now use EHIC and EHIC Plus (EHIC top-up cover) which covers the bits that EHIC does not do. Worth a look :winky:. www.ehicplus.com/
I to have that. I bank with LLoyds they offer free travel insurance. If you have a medicle conditon you have to inform them. The extra that they were going to charge was more than full insureance taken out somewere else.

Deleted User
Both for us, I had ambulance transfer, scans and an op in France last year (in a state hospital)

My bill was £330 (claimed from travel insurance by a simple phone call)

In France, EHIC covers the vast majority, but not all of cost.

With regards to repatriation, I'm not fussed about my remains, but would want to be back in UK should I need long term care following an accident etc.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Definitely both, mainly because we ski and I see at least 2 helicopters a day on the slopes in France. Also we have a couple,of pre existing conditions that could cause a few problems. Gives us peace of mind.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
I think it is important to make sure all angles are covered when abroad.
I always take EHIC and private insurance, as chockswahay says, repatriation is very expensive.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Both, for the insurance we rely on our Lloyd's account and from a friends experience it works very well.
Another bonus with Lloyd's is they have the biggest list of pre-conditions you don't need to declare I've ever seen.

Even in France if you need an operation you have to pay 20% so without insurance could cost you a few grand.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Posted a link in the traveling in France section about this. Check out LV annual policy or Nationwide Flexplus account if you don't ski off piste! I'm in the better to be safe than sorry camp!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Interesting Post?. The main reason I no longer travel the USA has to do with the availability of "travel cover". For years we paid roughly £11 per day travel cover (world wide inc USA). Last year my enquiry was met with an "offer" of £24+ per day (Conditional AND Only AFTER my wife was discharged by the Surgeons, she has long term issues) which is why it`s now a no go.

We have looked at travel with just the EHIC in Europe. And maybe with just ME insured? The theory being that we could use the R-V as an ambulance, so long as I was fit enough to drive, and play nurse. And IF I was ill the whole kit and caboodle would be recovered?

Ps. Just looked at the EHIC Plus cover, and it too has a "Medical screening" clause!. which of course rules out My wife.

Pete

Last edited:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Interesting Post?. The main reason I no longer travel the USA has to do with the availability of "travel cover". For years we paid roughly £11 per day travel cover (world wide inc USA). Last year my enquiry was met with an "offer" of £24+ per day (Conditional AND Only AFTER my wife was discharged by the Surgeons, she has long term issues) which is why it`s now a no go.

We have looked at travel with just the EHIC in Europe. And maybe with just ME insured? The theory being that we could use the R-V as an ambulance, so long as I was fit enough to drive, and play nurse. And IF I was ill the whole kit and caboodle would be recovered?

Pete
Try ADAC, we had all but given up on USA trips due to insurance, now covered worldwide, very cheaply, with o medical history questions asked.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Each time I have looked I could only find it in German. Can you provide a link?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Try ADAC, we had all but given up on USA trips due to insurance, now covered worldwide, very cheaply, with o medical history questions asked.

Do You have a link.? I THINK. ADAC are the underwriters for one of the company`s that refused my wife?.

Pete

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Do You have a link.? I THINK. ADAC are the underwriters for one of the company`s that refused my wife?.

Pete
Cannot cannot provide link I'm afraid, I rang then to ask questions about coverage, they speak English, I don't think they are underwriters, but a company in their own right.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Cannot cannot provide link I'm afraid, I rang then to ask questions about coverage, they speak English, I don't think they are underwriters, but a company in their own right.

OK, thanks anyway. I know "Mapfre" have a link with Staysure (or did).

Pete

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Both, Just taken out a new annual (multi trip) policy for £144.44 covering two people. Europe only, as many trips as we like up to 60 days duration. At that cost it's a no brainer! We will do two 60 day trips this year and various others and all across the water. It gives peace of mind although. must say, when we have needed assistance in France we got great service using the EHIC Card. (Just make sure you renew when it expires!!)
Norm

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
If you do not take out health cover for trips abroad then obviously you defend that position, and likewise for those that do take out cover. However, I know of three families that have had very bad accidents abroad and all of them had insurance, two of them swear that they would not have survived if they had been without insurance because as soon as the hospital knows you are covered, they start treatment straight away and also move you to a different (probably better) hospital for treatment.
One was in Turkey the others in France.
You pays your money or take your chance, unless you don't think the people are worth it.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Definitely both - that way you are covered for the basic treatment with EHICs and anything serious is covered with insurance

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Exactly LL. That is why we go for the addition of EHIC Plus.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back