Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
There have been a few threads on the subject of EHIC v medical insurance in Europe so here is my recent experience of invoking my EHIC in France.
When in Europe we rely on our EHIC cards. For how much longer we will be able to do this I don't know. But having some pre-existing conditions and going abroad for long periods makes full medical insurance quite expensive.
I've suffered on and off for some years with an irregular heartbeat. Since a minor procedure 2 years ago it's been behaving itself , and I'd cautiously begun to hope it was all behind me. We arrived in France 2 weeks ago for the start of a 2 month break. (Not in the MH this time but that's irrelevant). The day we arrived my heart went into atrial fibulation. I waited a few days to see if it would correct itself, but it didn't.
I approached the local doctor's surgery and made an appointment for the following evening. During the appointment the doctor rang a local cardiologist at 7pm to arrange a consultation for the next evening. I had a full ECG and other tests and by the next day I had hospital appointments arranged with the anesthetist and a slot booked for a cardio version as a day case within the next few days.
The doctor didn't recognize the EHIC and I had to pay him 28 Euros.
The Cardiologist didn't recognize the EHIC and his cost was 96 Euros.
I've paid about 11 Euros at the chemist for a prescription supplied by the Cardio.
The hospital do process the EHIC and also required my passport as photo ID. I am still expecting a bill from the hospital for 20% of the cost which is not normally paid by the state (probably around 200 Euros). Locals normally have top up insurance to cover this (and friends I know who live here currently pay around 150 Euros per month for this top up cover)
I also left the hospital with a further prescription which cost 11 Euros.
Some of the costs I paid directly I can claim back through the French CPAM system, who will eventually reclaim it from the UK government. I'm not sure yet how much I can actually reclaim.
One of our choices when we arrived was to return home and go back to my own doctor. I suspect if I had done so I would still be waiting for the first consultant appointment. As it is I've had a couple of weeks on a go slow but I'm still able to enjoy the summer as we planned.
This isn't a recommendation to go without full medical insurance and rely on the EHIC. It's just a tale of our recent experience. Had one of us had a heart attack or another more serious issue I've no doubt we would have received excellent and prompt medical care but the non-refundable part of the costs could very quickly become astronomical. Unfortunately full medical cover with pre-existing conditions, especially for long trips can be very expensive.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
That is just the way the French run their version of the NHS. Pay up front and reclaim some. Many travel insurances now expect you to use your EHIC card so buying insurance may change little for you. When we go to Portugal some drugs are subsidised and some not so you have to pay out on every prescription quite a shock for us Scots.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I'm afraid I had exactly the same problem in the UK. I had my front tooth feeling off, and could not say a word without hissing like a snake so big the hole was. Went to the dentist and it cost me 180£ while at home( FRANCE) it would have cost me ...nothing.
Never could use the card, and never got any payment back . So I suspect it is something happening quite often.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I hope you get sorted soon.(y)

My ex wife suffers from AF and I know it knocks you back a bit.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I'm afraid I had exactly the same problem in the UK. I had my front tooth feeling off, and could not say a word without hissing like a snake so big the hole was. Went to the dentist and it cost me 180£ while at home( FRANCE) it would have cost me ...nothing.
Never could use the card, and never got any payment back . So I suspect it is something happening quite often.

Not many NHS dentists now yodeli, most are private

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
And even NHS dentists aren't free, just subsidised.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There have been a few threads on the subject of EHIC v medical insurance in Europe so here is my recent experience of invoking my EHIC in France.
When in Europe we rely on our EHIC cards. For how much longer we will be able to do this I don't know. But having some pre-existing conditions and going abroad for long periods makes full medical insurance quite expensive.
I've suffered on and off for some years with an irregular heartbeat. Since a minor procedure 2 years ago it's been behaving itself , and I'd cautiously begun to hope it was all behind me. We arrived in France 2 weeks ago for the start of a 2 month break. (Not in the MH this time but that's irrelevant). The day we arrived my heart went into atrial fibulation. I waited a few days to see if it would correct itself, but it didn't.
I approached the local doctor's surgery and made an appointment for the following evening. During the appointment the doctor rang a local cardiologist at 7pm to arrange a consultation for the next evening. I had a full ECG and other tests and by the next day I had hospital appointments arranged with the anesthetist and a slot booked for a cardio version as a day case within the next few days.
The doctor didn't recognize the EHIC and I had to pay him 28 Euros.
The Cardiologist didn't recognize the EHIC and his cost was 96 Euros.
I've paid about 11 Euros at the chemist for a prescription supplied by the Cardio.
The hospital do process the EHIC and also required my passport as photo ID. I am still expecting a bill from the hospital for 20% of the cost which is not normally paid by the state (probably around 200 Euros). Locals normally have top up insurance to cover this (and friends I know who live here currently pay around 150 Euros per month for this top up cover)
I also left the hospital with a further prescription which cost 11 Euros.
Some of the costs I paid directly I can claim back through the French CPAM system, who will eventually reclaim it from the UK government. I'm not sure yet how much I can actually reclaim.
One of our choices when we arrived was to return home and go back to my own doctor. I suspect if I had done so I would still be waiting for the first consultant appointment. As it is I've had a couple of weeks on a go slow but I'm still able to enjoy the summer as we planned.
This isn't a recommendation to go without full medical insurance and rely on the EHIC. It's just a tale of our recent experience. Had one of us had a heart attack or another more serious issue I've no doubt we would have received excellent and prompt medical care but the non-refundable part of the costs could very quickly become astronomical. Unfortunately full medical cover with pre-existing conditions, especially for long trips can be very expensive.
A good example of what seems to be an effective medical system based on a model of state support plus personal contribution.
Of course it won't happen in the UK as no party would dare dismantle the NHS.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Of course it won't happen in the UK as no party would dare dismantle the NHS.
Think you will find the tories are try to privatise it thou, pretty much the same thing DBK

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
@mustaphapint , good to hear you're feeling better and received such prompt treatment.
The top up insurance in France can be expensive, and even having it doesn't guarantee a full refund if costs, as a friend if mine found after surgery.
But no waiting lists, everyone is seen and treated promptly and the after care is faultless.
How much actually goes into the French health system compared to the UK I was never able to ascertain, but it would be interesting to know,
Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Actually there are a lot of NHS dentists but the ones that advertise tend to be those looking for private patients. As for the cost, unless you are inthe except group, you have to pay for dental treatment even on the NHS, for example a check up is around £18 (every 6 months if you go as often as they'd like you to!), a clean with the hygienist on it's own can be £25+, fillings, xrays etc can cost more so £180 for an emergency treatment would probably be about the same as a non-exempt UK resident would pay which is what @yodeli seems to have paid.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
A couple of years ago whilst camping in Aranjuez near Madrid my wife developed toothache and visited a local dentist where she had an xray, a tooth extracted and a prescription for antibiotics - total cost (without using EHIC card) - 36 Euros!! :)

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Yes, my investigation, tooth filling and antibiotics from dentist in San Sebastian cost me 40 Euros and was done the day after I phoned the dentist. He even looked a bit embarrassed about taking the money !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back