EHIC CARD (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
following on from @Larrynwin thread and his mishap....

Has anyone else had the misfortune of falling ill or through an accident in other European countries and only had the EHIC card to fall back on...?

If so please tell us of your experience as there are many out there that just rely on the card (us included at times) and will help many to make an informed decision on travel insurance.....

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
My husband came a cropper off his bicycle at Monza racetrack. He was taken initially to the racetrack medical centre by the circuit ambulance and then transferred to a Monza hospital by the same ambulance.

Given a CT scan, stiches and 6 hours observation.

No problems accepting EHIC card.
We haven’t travelled in Europe by campervan with anything else but....we do have financial resources should it be necessary. If the eurotunnel insurance would go to over 31 days I would take that as I can cope with the simp,e question “are you fit to travel?” I lose the will to live when trying to answer fully the medical questions by phone that we have to go through with other insurers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
slightly off topic, but I have nothing to add to EU travel

some years ago we were off to Florida, last minute checks I couldn't find our travel insurance docs, but knew we in theory had duplicate cover through Nat West bank so threw in a leaflet of theirs, thought nothing of it

until ....

Day 2 of trip Bev isn't well taken to hospital by fire engine. I am taken directly to the cashier alongside A + E

long story but I had to pay $3000 on the spot just to get Bev admitted, got back to apartment and rang the 0870 number on the leaflet, they took over completely and even repaid my initial payment, the final bill was over $70K :(

I wouldn't dream of travelling on just an E111 (y)(y)

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
My husband came a cropper off his bicycle at Monza racetrack. He was taken initially to the racetrack medical centre by the circuit ambulance and then transferred to a Monza hospital by the same ambulance.

We haven’t travelled in Europe by campervan with anything else but....we do have financial resources should it be necessary. If the eurotunnel insurance would go to over 31 days I would take that as I can cope with the simp,e question “are you fit to travel?” I lose the will to live when trying to answer fully the medical questions by phone that we have to go through with other insurers.

That’s the sort of info needed, and I guess that if someone is racing you wouldn’t be covered on insurance anyway.?

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
The EHIC will provide you with emergency care, equivalent to that provided to locals in public hospitals.
That’s fine if you break a finger, toe etc
If you suffer more serious illness or accident you might need to consider how you get repatriated or other on going treatment.
We have cover with our Nationwide account but I personally wouldn’t travel without a backup plan

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Has anyone else had the misfortune of falling ill or through an accident in other European countries and only had the EHIC card to fall back on...?

If so please tell us of your experience as there are many out there that just rely on the card (us included at times) and will help many to make an informed decision on travel insurance.....
I've just posted the following on the other thread:

-------------------------------------

I think I can clarify the problem here.

My brother-in-law had the misfortune to to fall and break his hip while staying at a hotel in Los Americas, Tenerife a couple of years ago. He had his EHIC card but no travel insurance.

As you know from your own experience, in the case of a medical emergency overseas, things can initially be somewhat chaotic.

Hospiten at Playa de las Americas is a PRIVATE hospital. My BIL said he wanted to go to a public hospital where he could use his EHIC card. He was told the only one that could treat him was in the capital Santa Cruz, at the opposite end of the island. He was further advised that they only spoke Spanish there and that the service would be very different from the NHS, with local family expected to help care for him. Now that did possibly sound somewhat embellished? I don't know how true it was.

The upshot was, he was treated in the Hospiten at Playa de Las Americas, where he had a replacement hip. Mrs mikebeaches and I visited him in the hospital, because by coincidence we were also on the island at the time. And after two weeks at Hospiten, he had to stay a further four weeks in a hotel to recover sufficiently to get a certificate of fitness to fly home. My sis also had to stay all the extra time too, to look after him. Don't think he saw change from £20k overall, and they'd only gone for a long weekend! :(

----------------------------------------
Personally, wouldn't entertain going abroad without travel insurance, although I know some may have difficulty obtaining it. And it can indeed be totally tedious going through all the medical questions every year, but - in my view. - just has to be done.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
upload_2018-4-21_23-48-41.jpeg

We use this company for annual travel insurance both covered for £255 with up to 120 days per trip.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For the sake of a little bit of hassle and small premium you'd rather risk a HIGH financial hit????? ... That could be quite an expensive trip if you have to use your own financial resources ... sometimes it can cost many, many thousands of pounds ... more than a your average new motorhome!

I don't understand that at all! o_O

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Informed decision ....... travel insurance is not an option it is vital.

No it isn't, not when the cost would almost be greater than the cost of the trip itself, the above seems to speak about someone who, hopefully, doesn't suffer from pre-existing conditions, nor the financial onslaught that comes with them, £897 for a 28 day trip, I think not!

The EHIC is good enough for us, don't see why we should help to pay the disgusting salary of these self entitled egomaniacal company bosses with our hard earned income.

I've told the boss lady that if I peg it while away she should shove me in the back of the wardrobe with some mothballs and hightail it home. :clap2::clap2:

Hymie

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
That’s the sort of info needed, and I guess that if someone is racing you wouldn’t be covered on insurance anyway.?
Please don't take this the wrong way. This is not the sort if you need to hear but by the sound of it the information you want to hear. I have dealt with hundreds if not thousands of repatriations from European countries back to the UK the cost is phenomenal and your EHIC Card will not cover that cost. The level of care that is covered can vary from member state to member state and remember it is basic immediate Emergency Trauma care which is provided.
In my opinion you need to factor in the cost of medical insurance into your travel plans. If the cost means its out of your affordability then stay at home. I know that sounds harsh but the reality is you could find yourself in a very precarious situation that could cost you your life saving or worse, leave you stranded with no medical care, and believe me the medical providers are ruthless, no money no care its that simple.
There are many things we can take risks with in life, health provision in my book is certainly not one of them.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Having carried out some work on behalf of NHS I learnt the costs of various procedures herein the UK and was able to estimate the cost of emergency admission and treatment I received in 2009. More than cost of a very good motorhome. I had no warning of the problem and had recgently returned from a European holiday. Our estimate is that EHIC would have covered approx 10% of the cost. My travel insurance is now hard and expensive to obtain, but is first item to source. Travelling without is IMO foolhardy at best.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
No it isn't, not when the cost would almost be greater than the cost of the trip itself, the above seems to speak about someone who, hopefully, doesn't suffer from pre-existing conditions, nor the financial onslaught that comes with them, £897 for a 28 day trip, I think not!

The EHIC is good enough for us, don't see why we should help to pay the disgusting salary of these self entitled egomaniacal company bosses with our hard earned income.

I've told the boss lady that if I peg it while away she should shove me in the back of the wardrobe with some mothballs and hightail it home. :clap2::clap2:

Hymie
I am sorry for your health condition, I hope your gamble pays off and you enjoy your holidays. I am not sure your family and friends will thank you for the financial and emotional mess that will occur when eventually a health incident occurs.

By the way my wife does have a pre existing condition and we do pay a surcharge for it, but the peace of mind it brings means we are prepared should the situation require it.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
slightly off topic, but I have nothing to add to EU travel

some years ago we were off to Florida, last minute checks I couldn't find our travel insurance docs, but knew we in theory had duplicate cover through Nat West bank so threw in a leaflet of theirs, thought nothing of it

until ....

Day 2 of trip Bev isn't well taken to hospital by fire engine. I am taken directly to the cashier alongside A + E

long story but I had to pay $3000 on the spot just to get Bev admitted, got back to apartment and rang the 0870 number on the leaflet, they took over completely and even repaid my initial payment, the final bill was over $70K :(

I wouldn't dream of travelling on just an E111 (y)(y)
And worth every penny

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've just posted the following on the other thread:

-------------------------------------

I think I can clarify the problem here.

My brother-in-law had the misfortune to to fall and break his hip while staying at a hotel in Los Americas, Tenerife a couple of years ago. He had his EHIC card but no travel insurance.

As you know from your own experience, in the case of a medical emergency overseas, things can initially be somewhat chaotic.

Hospiten at Playa de las Americas is a PRIVATE hospital. My BIL said he wanted to go to a public hospital where he could use his EHIC card. He was told the only one that could treat him was in the capital Santa Cruz, at the opposite end of the island. He was further advised that they only spoke Spanish there and that the service would be very different from the NHS, with local family expected to help care for him. Now that did possibly sound somewhat embellished? I don't know how true it was.

The upshot was, he was treated in the Hospiten at Playa de Las Americas, where he had a replacement hip. Mrs mikebeaches and I visited him in the hospital, because by coincidence we were also on the island at the time. And after two weeks at Hospiten, he had to stay a further four weeks in a hotel to recover sufficiently to get a certificate of fitness to fly home. My sis also had to stay all the extra time too, to look after him. Don't think he saw change from £20k overall, and they'd only gone for a long weekend! :(

----------------------------------------
Personally, wouldn't entertain going abroad without travel insurance, although I know some may have difficulty obtaining it. And it can indeed be totally tedious going through all the medical questions every year, but - in my view. - just has to be done.

Just to throw some light on the " family help care for them" Sounds like Cyprus where in the State hospitals family members are expected to help feed the patient and shave if a man. It is possible to pay a sort of orderly to carry out these duties if family isn't available / willing. As visiting times are very strictly adhered to family could spend their visiting time feeding, staving, hair washing etc..

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

I wonder if it would have been the same if your husband was more seriously injured and required surgery, hospitalisation and repatriation though?

I was floored by someone when skiing and sustained a complicated fracture to my arm. The total cost was around £15,000 - this was all paid for by my travel insurance. EHIC card cover was not mentioned at the time as I had insurance... I do wonder how much of the cost would have been covered by EHIC?

Does anyone know when EHIC card cover stops and private funding, insurance or personal funds, begins?

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I wonder if it would have been the same if your husband was more seriously injured and required surgery, hospitalisation and repatriation though?

I was floored by someone when skiing and sustained a complicated fracture to my arm. The total cost was around £15,000 - this was all paid for by my travel insurance. EHIC card cover was not mentioned at the time as I had insurance... I do wonder how much of the cost would have been covered by EHIC?

Does anyone know when EHIC card cover stops and private funding, insurance or personal funds, begins?

That is where it gets extremely complicated. The requirement of the EHIC is to provide the same level of Emergency Trauma Care that is provided to residents of that member state to all visitors holding an EHIC from other member states. All member states have differing levels of what is viewed as emergency trauma care. Some member states deem it as preservation of life and very little more. In the UK we deem it as all that is required until such time as your clinician deems you fit for discharge. That could be weeks or months of treatment where as the other end of the spectrum could be blood loss has been stemmed or respiratory output restored...who knows, there is no clear guidelines and some member states appear to make it up as they go along. Hence the reason insurance companies often employ me as "Subject Matter Expert" in legal disputes in relation to charges and treatment. I do not get involved in legal process other than to give my professional medical opinion. I exaggerate not when I say it is very common to see claims in excess of a million GBPs' So my question is to those who risk not having insurance, do you have the funds to support such an event? If not get insurance.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Has anyone else had the misfortune of falling ill or through an accident in other European countries and only had the EHIC card to fall back on...?.

Wife fell off bike in Altea, broken collar bone, 3 days in hospital and not a penny changed hands. Only negative was little English in the hospitals but we can't blame them too much for that.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
We always travelled to France and spain with just an EHIC card until last year when hubby slipped on a diesel patch when filling up. We thought he had broken his wrist. Then it struck me that I couldn’t drive the Moho home, we could be stranded for ages if he couldn’t drive.... etc etc
I echo everyone’s advice before me that says get insurance. We have an annual policy now

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
That could be weeks or months of treatment where as the other end of the spectrum could be blood loss has been stemmed or respiratory output restored...who knows, there is no clear guidelines and some member states appear to make it up as they go along. Hence the reason insurance companies often employ me as "Subject Matter Expert" in legal disputes in relation to charges and treatment. I do not get involved in legal process other than to give my professional medical opinion. I exaggerate not when I say it is very common to see claims in excess of a million GBPs' So my question is to those who risk not having insurance, do you have the funds to support such an event? If not get insurance.

Wow!!! That's very sobering! Its good to hear from someone who clearly knows what the situation is with regard to overseas claims.

Just out of interest, what sort of event would result in £1M claim?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We too would never dream of travelling without insurance. The only reason we stay with Lloyds Bank is for the worldwide travel insurance they include with our account. It will cover us until we are 80 so we have got another 10 years to enjoy our travels in Europe and the USA.

I am afraid that we are all spoilt by the NHS which is much more generous than most other public health services in the rest of the world.

Having said that the only time we used the EHIC it worked. A few years ago Angela broke her arm in Spain but did not visit hospital until we were in Portugal. We got very good treatment at Lagos then Portimao hospitals. X rays taken doctors seen and arm reset and put in plaster and sling very quickly. Total charge was the same the locals would have paid, 19€. We didn't bother claiming it off the insurance!

But I am not sure that the outcome would have been as good if Angela had to stay in hospital rather than being treated as an outpatient.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
That is where it gets extremely complicated. The requirement of the EHIC is to provide the same level of Emergency Trauma Care that is provided to residents of that member state to all visitors holding an EHIC from other member states. All member states have differing levels of what is viewed as emergency trauma care. Some member states deem it as preservation of life and very little more. In the UK we deem it as all that is required until such time as your clinician deems you fit for discharge. That could be weeks or months of treatment where as the other end of the spectrum could be blood loss has been stemmed or respiratory output restored...who knows, there is no clear guidelines and some member states appear to make it up as they go along. Hence the reason insurance companies often employ me as "Subject Matter Expert" in legal disputes in relation to charges and treatment. I do not get involved in legal process other than to give my professional medical opinion. I exaggerate not when I say it is very common to see claims in excess of a million GBPs' So my question is to those who risk not having insurance, do you have the funds to support such an event? If not get insurance.
Thanks for the insight.

It does concern me that the level and standard of care is so different between member states. This is not a Brexit post, but, surely all the care should be the same? I have experienced health care in France, €23 paid to the local doctor.

Also it would appear that the amount claimed by other countries for health care is disproportunate, compared to other countries.

We have a friend who live in Germany, they refuse to register with the German health care system, so they rely on EHIC, which so far has worked for over two years. The husband damaged his thumb with an axe, lots of treatment plus grafts etc. All paid for under EHIC. They then fly back to the UK for regular treatment for their chronic conditions under the NHS. Cheap flight, airport to hospital few days with family, back to Germany.

I would not dream if travelling overseas without insurance.
How often do we hear of tragic cases, youngsters falling off bikes, scooters, balconies, no insurance, then a massive social media campaign to raise money to bring then home so that the NHS can pick up the cost.

Idea, compulsory insurance added to either the holiday of air ticket that includes ANYONE coming to the UK .

Rant over.

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
I have always had annual insurance which covered trips but now I am full-timing so I'm just on the EHIC. I would be interested to know if any other full-timers have insurance and who with/cost etc?

Insurance is gambling in reverse with the odds obviously weighted in the insurers' favour. You could be hit with a very large bill in the same way as you could win big on the lottery. I'm fortunate enough to have a MH and home to sell if I really needed to but I think the odds are pretty long. I never claimed on the annual policy I had or any of the policies before that going back for the thirty plus years I was buying insurance. I expect this is the case for most of us, otherwise the insurers would be skint.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I appreciate the views of all those who say take annual insurance. We would if we could! Neither of us can get it even though we don’t have conditions that require regular treatment. We like to travel regularly and, after I had spent 2 hours on phone to one company in order to go to US , and yes we did take insurance then, I vowed never again if possible. That company was one recommended for those with medical conditions- Staysure.
Maybe the only way is to limit trips to 31 days and use Eurotunnel insurance, not possible for annual as over 70, but possible for individual trips with the only question “are you fit to travel” and would your GP confirm this.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I have always had annual insurance which covered trips but now I am full-timing so I'm just on the EHIC. I would be interested to know if any other full-timers have insurance and who with/cost etc?

I thought the EHIC card was only available to use on short trips of say a month's duration?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The level of care that is covered can vary from member state to member state and remember it is basic immediate Emergency Trauma care which is provided.

It should be exactly the same as a national would receive , in that country,to include ongoing appointments if necessary & if that is what a national would receive.

As visiting times are very strictly adhered to family could spend their visiting time feeding, staving, hair washing etc..
No visiting times here. Someone is expected to be with the patient at all times whether family or a paid helper. They even provide reclining chairs for them to sleep in. Trouble is many snore & you have to throw things at them:LOL:

I do wonder how much of the cost would have been covered by EHIC?

If a national would be entitled to full & ongoing treatment then that is what you should receive.
& it doesn't stop as above , it covers everything a national would receive apart from repatriation costs.
Lloyds Bank is for the worldwide travel insurance they include with our account.
Thanks for that I have just looked & appear to have health insurance. Then again I might not have as I will have to check whether you need to be a UK resident ?

We have a friend who live in Germany, they refuse to register with the German health care system, so they rely on EHIC, which so far has worked for over two years
Is he an oap ?

I thought the EHIC card was only available to use on short trips of say a month's duration?
No. The length of your trip.But if they really wanted to get funny they could check against requirements to 'register as a resident ' & so deny you that way .

I have never used private insurance & the last few years I haven't even bothered with an spanish ehic ( I have to apply in person & at least 2 appointments) since the EU pointed out that actually holding one at the time is not necessary .
All that is necessary is to be entitled to hold one & if you fall ill the hospital are required to contact your resident country health department to initiate the supply of an ehic to cover you. They cannot ask that you do it.

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...

Not quite right, it's complicated but in a nutshell as long as you are still deemed a UK resident you're OK. I looked up the NHS and the EHIC regulations before we set off. We have arranged our circumstances so that we qualify even though we live in our van mostly in Continental Europe. We pay our UK taxes and don't live in any other country so we feel morally entitled to the NHS and the EHIC as well as meeting the official criteria.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Please don't take this the wrong way. This is not the sort if you need to hear but by the sound of it the information you want to hear. I have dealt with hundreds if not thousands of repatriations from European countries back to the UK the cost is phenomenal and your EHIC Card will not cover that cost. The level of care that is covered can vary from member state to member state and remember it is basic immediate Emergency Trauma care which is provided.
In my opinion you need to factor in the cost of medical insurance into your travel plans. If the cost means its out of your affordability then stay at home. I know that sounds harsh but the reality is you could find yourself in a very precarious situation that could cost you your life saving or worse, leave you stranded with no medical care, and believe me the medical providers are ruthless, no money no care its that simple.
There are many things we can take risks with in life, health provision in my book is certainly not one of them.
Just last year a friend with a holiday home near to us was admitted to hospital with sepsis . He was 8 weeks in intensive care for 8 weeks in Limoges and air ambulanced to Edinburgh after. Limoges is 120 km from their home so insurance offered hotel accommodation or hired car as they had travelled to France by Motorhome. It certainly brought home to me joe easy it is to find yourself in a situation like this !

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I know this thread is about Euro land but there was a story a few months ago about a young guy who was (I think) in Thailand and had an accident. They refused to treat him as he had no insurance or money to pay for treatment. Unfortunately, he died when he didn't need to.
Insurance is a must in my option.
Another story, some people I know we're on a cruise ship holiday , one of them fell ill and had no insurance , she thought she would have been okay as she thought it was a British ship. It was registered in the USA. Total bill £60K. They had to have a whip round for her .

Last edited:

Deleted User
Not quite right, it's complicated but in a nutshell as long as you are still deemed a UK resident you're OK. I looked up the NHS and the EHIC regulations before we set off. We have arranged our circumstances so that we qualify even though we live in our van mostly in Continental Europe. We pay our UK taxes and don't live in any other country so we feel morally entitled to the NHS and the EHIC as well as meeting the official criteria.
That's what we have done for the last ten years, this year I opened a Nationwide Flexplus account and paid the extra for 120 day stays on the travel insurance, getting older thought we had better have some sort of insurance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back