EHIC card doesn't cover ongoing medical treatment...were you aware (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Paragraph taken from the Guv.uks own site. What does ongoing medical treatment cover I wonder...
quote: The EHIC won’t cover medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment or non-urgent treatment, so you should make sure you have adequate travel insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment and repatriation.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would have thought it would cover someone who say has well controlled BP but becomes unstable whilst away but not someone who has just had an op and in follow up. Makes sense really.I think the insurance will have the same limits.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Also check yours has not expired , mine has :doh:

Easy to renew free online (y)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
As a long suffering disabled person I am well aware of the limitations of EHIC (it is really for emergencies only) and the limits some insurance companies go to so they won't have to pay out

The usual questions do you take so and so which now includes Oramorph despite is NOT being a Controlled drug if you take it the price goes up and up
and for one of my problems the number of companies who just say no won't cover it is huge

So far the best medical cover we have found has been the Caravan Clubs Red Pennant for both cover and cost

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Lovely avatar photo @Madcaravanner . When do you get your moho?
Not soon enough

Sometime in March we hope not long after Steph's birthday and one of her pensions paying out (glad I paid all that money in when I WAS working)

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I've downloaded the free ehic app to my tablet, you can then set up an expiry reminder...

Link Removed

Pete

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Interestingly, some insurers, particularly the ones that cover pre-existing conditions, insist that you have/use the free/cheap cover of the country you are visiting. Eg EHIC for Europe and Medicare for Australia

Be aware

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
It might say emergency treatment only but thats not how it is interpreted by the Spanish medical centre where we over winter. You can get get your flu jabs , repeat prescriptions ,etc etc . Just how are the NHS going to audit every claim coming back from Spain and then reclaim from the user . Anyway whats the definition of emergency ( if i haven,t got any fresh milk for my tea thats an emergency)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
That has always been the case - you need insurance cover - EHIC only covers basic emergency treatment and even insurances seldom cover conditions that have occurred I the last 12 months even if you are classified as cured and having had discussions with insurers as I have /had cancer if you are still having check ups ( most cancer patients do even after successful treatments) that is classified as continuing treatment even though you may not have had any medication. They only consider insuring you after 12 months of no treatment. Well worth getting full clarification before parting with your money

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It might say emergency treatment only but thats not how it is interpreted by the Spanish medical centre where we over winter. You can get get your flu jabs , repeat prescriptions ,etc etc . Just how are the NHS going to audit every claim coming back from Spain and then reclaim from the user . Anyway whats the definition of emergency ( if i haven,t got any fresh milk for my tea thats an emergency)
A couple of years ago There was someone up Valencia way asked to come in & explain why he was continually getting repeat prescriptions/ treatment in Spain uring the previous x number of years ? Never heard what the outcome was ?

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
A couple of years ago There was someone up Valencia way asked to come in & explain why he was continually getting repeat prescriptions/ treatment in Spain uring the previous x number of years ? Never heard what the outcome was ?
I know a couple who received a letter from the dept of health a few years ago asking how long they had been out of the country each year since 2008 . they were a bit worried as they had been using the EHIC card for treatment including a broken arm but nothing came of it

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We know this. Always take out travel insurance. Which was weighted last year due to Cancer. Twelve months on the premium should reduce....I hope!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Applied online to renew my ehic card and received it this morning.:notworthy2:

Huh, wish DVLA had been that efficient :doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun