Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
I have a 2007 Autotrail Apache 634 fitted with a 3ltr Fiat engine, I have fitted a new Throttle control valve and I seem to remember reading that you can blanc off the EGR valve without problems to avoid future problems with carbon build up. I also read that its a simple job to just disable the vacuum side of the valve does anyone have further information like a guide on how to do this.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Despite various postings on this subject, mine was re-instated after a prolonged saga to correct a fault - the throttle body. One garage had disconnected the vacuum control which actually seemed to make it worse. In the end a Fiat Professional workshop put it all back to original spec and the van drove like new. Fuel consumption returned to normal too.

To avoid carbon build up the engine needs periodically to be allowed to run hotter for a period to allow it's own systems to burn it off - some call it driving like the Italian Job! The problem is that most m/h drivers tend to be quite gentle and the engine never gets hot enough. You don't have to thrash the backside off it; the easiest is drop down a gear whilst cruising but maintaining your speed for 10-15 mins every 1000 miles.

Like I say, been lots of postings and not everybody will agree with me, just telling it like I found it.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I have a 2007 Autotrail Apache 634 fitted with a 3ltr Fiat engine, I have fitted a new Throttle control valve and I seem to remember reading that you can blanc off the EGR valve without problems to avoid future problems with carbon build up. I also read that its a simple job to just disable the vacuum side of the valve does anyone have further information like a guide on how to do this.
There was a good thread and debate on the subject by Andy @Techno a good while ago.. you might find it useful...
Broken Link Removed

Terry comments above about the engine needing to be brought to temperature for a while to burn off the carbon are really about the particulate and catalytic filters fitted to the exhaust side...
The carbon deposits that were a feature of egr valves occurred in the intake side and ports... a different thing..
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
There was a good thread and debate on the subject by Andy @Techno a good while ago.. you might find it useful...
Broken Link Removed

Terry comments above about the engine needing to be brought to temperature for a while to burn off the carbon are really about the particulate and catalytic filters fitted to the exhaust side...
The carbon deposits that were a feature of egr valves occurred in the intake side and ports... a different thing..
Andy.

Thanks Andy it was I think his post I remember seeing , your link goes a whole load of search topics not just his. And yes it is oily carbon in the inlet around the throttle body that I am trying to eliminate.

Edwin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks Andy it was I think his post I remember seeing , your link goes a whole load of search topics not just his. And yes it is oily carbon in the inlet around the throttle body that I am trying to eliminate.

Edwin
Yes I realised I'd dropped a clanger lol... but I think the second link I posted works...
I know what you mean... I got my egr function deleted from the ecu map but mine is electronic and there is sensor feedback so can't just be blanked like a mechanical one..
If you are going to do it its worth cleaning up the intake side from turbo ,intercooler and manifold before you do it...
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back