EGR valve on Mercedes advice (1 Viewer)

Mar 31, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi I am currently in portugal in the company of a few funsters . @Just smiffy etc .Last week I had a engine managment fault light come on my dash but promptly went off again but I did loose power on a few hills so I took it to a mercedes dealer who was recommended on the forum, Motorbest Algarve.
I was told I needed a new EGR valve so it was ordered and had it fitted this morning.
On my way back the engine management light came on again and stayed on flashing so I returned to the garage. They used a computer to clear the fault
Ten miles later the fault light came on again and it was sluggish on a hill so going back to garage tomorrow
It is a hymer s800 on Mercedes 2008
Any advice would be appreciated

Buster30

Free Member
Aug 4, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes ML580
Exp
Since 2018
Had a similar problem on my works Vivaro, that was the mass airflow sensor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gerh66
Mar 31, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Not sure if I have DPF fitted but I shall mention it to the garage tomorrow. Thanks

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
@Geo @dave newell lvs any ideas on this ...?

Sorry no, my crystal ball is in for a service and new battery. The fault causing the MIL could be any one of a huge number of things and may not even be related to the previous fault. Without reading up the diagnostic trouble code we could only guess and that's just a waste of time.

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Not sure if I have DPF fitted but I shall mention it to the garage tomorrow. Thanks
I wouldn't bother mentioning it, the garage tech will read the DTC and go from there, if its a DPF issue the DTC will point the tech in that direction.

D.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
OK taking above comment on board I will add my own tale, but do not fear the worst yet, although it sounds scarily alike :(

4 years ago we started like you with the odd flashing management light and associated loss of power

I learnt to detect the events leading up to the light and loss of power, which by the end stopped us getting up the hill in our town to our house

our 07 built S800 Mercedes needed a full new turbo, which also needed the auto gearbox removing just for access, we messed around trying different things first but ended up paying nearly £5K just to Mercedes for the turbo swap and that was a subsidised bill, they took 30 hours, but only billed me the same as Merc say for a Sprinter, Very good of them (y)

Heres hoping yours is less serious o_O

Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
I used to have a Rapido with a Merc 3l in it. First time in France & the engine light came on & sluggish performance. Found a local Merc dealer (commercial vehicle garage) traced the fault to the air intake pipe to the turbo was loose. It was drawing excess air when 'under load' refit the pipe & tightened the jubilee clip. Job done.
Hope yours turns out as easily solved

OP
OP
Gerh66
Mar 31, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for all the replies.
Turns out they had not reconnected the air intake pipe properly .
So same senario as above post ,phew job sorted
I would still recommend the garage Motorbest Algarve to anyone with a Mercedes engine that needs help whilst in the Algarve
Thanks again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back