EGR valve blanking/cheating (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
@PaulJaq On the 3.0 fiat engine the EGR is at the exhaust end of the pipework so blanking it also blanks all the pipework as well. The cooler is after the EGR on this motor.

Andy. With this in mind is that blanking plate steel or alloy?

Mike

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
All Tafmets blanking plates are stainless steel and quality gaskets.
What Paul means is that coolant could potentially leak out of the cooling unit into the airway that then goes to the throttle valve and into the combustion chambers.
If the blanking plate failed it would simply send coolant down the exhaust.
I don't think the potential hazard he describes is a worry on Fiats etal
EDIT I appreciate the picture through a plastic bag may not convey the quality so here is a hopefully better shot?
CA_01161519393324-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
That heat exchanger looks a likely site to clog up with residue too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That heat exchanger looks a likely site to clog up with residue too.
No more than any other part of the intake air circuit from the EGR recirc. Worst affected are the intake manifold and throttle body as pictured by me earlier back.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Whilst delving into the engine compartment of my Transit today to find said valve, I found it right on the top of the inlet manifold( dead handy that) and I also noticed that the actual inlet manifold is plastic of some type which could be damaged it the exhaust gases got too hot like the Ranger mentioned previously, I will now check further upwind to see if there is a cooler fitted to the pipe at the exhaust end.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've had a dispatch email from buycarparts.com for the manifold gasket so if it's not snowing tomorrow I'll bring the manifold home for cleaning. Maybe if the weather is kind I'll get more done. I have to fit a breakfast in at my local cafe too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Whilst delving into the engine compartment of my Transit today to find said valve, I found it right on the top of the inlet manifold( dead handy that) and I also noticed that the actual inlet manifold is plastic of some type which could be damaged it the exhaust gases got too hot like the Ranger mentioned previously, I will now check further upwind to see if there is a cooler fitted to the pipe at the exhaust end.
I'm concerned, the item on the intake manifold should be the throttle body. The EGR should be on the exhaust manifold. I don't know trannies but be aware.
Really it is very hard to get wrong given the size/shape of your blank plate.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I'm concerned, the item on the intake manifold should be the throttle body. The EGR should be on the exhaust manifold. I don't know trannies but be aware.
Really it is very hard to get wrong given the size/shape of your blank plate.
No throttle body,mine is a Tdci and has no flowmeter. It is on the pipe from the intercooler to the manifold and has the vacuum pipe leading to it, I take it is there because that is a much cooler part of the pipe as on the exhaust end it would cook otherwise.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've been over to look at mine again this morning as I had to dump the fresh water anyway.
Access to my EGR is complicated due to being left hand drive. The cab air intake is right on top of it so I will have to strip that out first :eek:.
I've looked again at the intake manifold and to be honest the worst of the gunge is around the flange and will be easier to just take it off with a finger in a rag with some carb/brake cleaner. The rubber pipe that brings the mix of fresh and recycled air to the throttle valve seems to be pretty free of any deposits.
I just need a nice day now :cooler:

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Fortunately all such tasks are detailed in the elearn manual here a reduced size image
Climate control air intake duct.JPG

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
I've been over to look at mine again this morning as I had to dump the fresh water anyway.
Access to my EGR is complicated due to being left hand drive. The cab air intake is right on top of it so I will have to strip that out first :eek:.
I've looked again at the intake manifold and to be honest the worst of the gunge is around the flange and will be easier to just take it off with a finger in a rag with some carb/brake cleaner. The rubber pipe that brings the mix of fresh and recycled air to the throttle valve seems to be pretty free of any deposits.
I just need a nice day now :cooler:

I thought the throttle valve was only supplied with fresh air from the air filter via the turbo. I think the recycled crap enters the inlet side of the head not direct into the manifold and this is why it is not reaching the rubber pipe.

Mike

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Not according to the manual.
A piece here from an earlier post.

"after passing through the heat-exchanger where they are cooled, the exhaust gases are drawn into the throttle valve assembly and blended with air from the intercooler and then streamed into the intake manifold. At the same time, the engine management control unit adjusts the flow of fuel to be injected into the cylinders according to the amount of exhaust gas being re-circulated."

This is why the throttle valve was caked in carbon & gunge

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Well that box is from a company that is a german car parts supplier

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes Germany (y)
Which means DHL, the European side of ParcelFarce.
Clearly the seller has experience of them :LOL::ROFLMAO:
CA_01201517331377-XL.jpg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The blue box contains what looks like a rocker cover gasket, or an inlet/exhaust manifold gasket (judging by the outer illustration), and the two items wrapped in corrugated paper may possible be shock absorbers, or telescopic struts?

Yes? No?

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No Jock that big massive box and all the cardboard is purely anti parcelfarce protection for the iddy biddy gasket.:LOL:
The blue box is just a flat piece of card for display hanging the gasket.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
No Jock that big massive box and all the cardboard is purely anti parcelfarce protection for the iddy biddy gasket.:LOL:
The blue box is just a flat piece of card for display hanging the gasket.
Gordon Bennett! :eek:

They must go through some trees. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have received my restrictor plate from Poland today and I rushed out to fit it BUT it doesn't fit it is a much bigger flange than the one on mine. Th pipe from the exhaust is only an inch bore and the manifold flange about two. The flange to the manifold is the same size as the plate I got from them. but it doesn't go in the place it would fit unless I wanted to have a 25mph van.
I am getting on to them now. The advert said it fits Transit AND boxer/Relay 2.2 2.4 and 3.2 so it might be of use to one of you for one of those fitments.

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Yes mine is the small bore same as the Jaguar. The one I got is the big bore and the same as the peugot and citroen models with the 66mm centres

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Well I'm going nowhere just now. I had another look today as I needed to clear all the snow off the solars anyway.
The allen socket screws that fasten the EGR convoluted pipe to the exhaust manifold do not have a straight access to undo them and I suspect they are pretty well fused. So to give myself half a chance I need to split the EGR from the pipe and the cooling unit. At least then if they wont come undone, round off or shear I will have room to drill them out and re thread.
Anyone know of a supplier of replacement gasket & seal for EGR's?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I fitted one to the transit and it took 7 minutes, two bolts to undo slip it in and tighten.
All I need is a test run to try it out and hope engine lights do not come on. I will report if there is a change to mpg or drive ability.
The manifold was black and slimy as the breather goes in to circuit before the turbo so that is liable to be the same.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp