EGR hose recall (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Currently sat in Trafford Van Centre while they check our moho for the recall. Apparently it's a 3 part recall. Today they will have a look at it and order the pipe. There is about a 5 week back order situation due to the amount that are needed. Once the pipe arrives we have to bring it back and when they have the pipe off they have to check whether the EGR/DPF is fractured and, if so, send photos to Italy so they can authorise replacement. Then we will have to wait for that to come if it's needed. We have been told not to drive it so looks like we're not going anywhere for at least 2 months:cry:.

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
2017 Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You need to get onto Fiat Customer services, that is totaly unacceptable. If it was a car they would have probably given you a courtesy car but that doesn't happen with Motorhomes.

Pleased to say ours was OK.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We have been told it is okay to drive as it is a 2017 and low mileage.
We are booked in for 6/1 and I advised them we would be doing about 300 over the Christmas period and they said it would be okay

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Have mine booked in at worcester for the 8th January, bit concerned if it needs all the work doing as have a ferry to catch 10th February for a rally in Spain, got travel/breakdown and fiat assist, don't know which will cover me for
Recall work.(n)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
2017 Fiat Ducato 2.3 130bhp

That sucks ass!

And yea I’d want a replacement or compensation to rent a motorhome for the down time.

Is it just limited to the 2017 models? They have the Euro 6 engine right?

Mines a 2015 2.3 130 Ducato. Not heard anything so assume just the newer ones?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have been told not to drive it so looks like we're not going anywhere for at least 2 months:cry:.

So all over Europe we have delivery firms being told "hard luck you can't deliver for two months". Why aren't we seeing a massive outcry ? Are they getting preferential treatment ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It is only a small number of vehicles affected built between 17/02/2016 to 13/09/2017 a total of 1336 vehicles. It is only Euro 6 engines I don't think Euro 6 Motorhomes came online untill around Sep 2016. I believe there are 3 versions of the pipe/assembly not all are affected so it is going to be very low numbers that need the work doing, mine didn't.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Once the pipe arrives we have to bring it back and when they have the pipe off they have to check whether the EGR/DPF is fractured and, if so, send photos to Italy so they can authorise replacement. :cry:.

That's pathetic, what's wrong with having the EGR/DPF in stock, email photo to Italy for immediate authorisation and fit there and then.

I think they should have parts in stock, don't believe the customer should be unduly inconvenienced

Andrew

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Thanks to Fun, mine was booked in for the EGR pipe recall work before the letter from Fiat. The local Fiat workshop reception told me that they were now booking them several weeks ahead, and that there are delays getting the parts. Also the typical whinge that Fiat won't allow enough paid hours for their fitters to carry out the recall work itself.

I also read elsewhere that Fiat UK are relocating their parts warehouse. Bad timing.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The recall was only for 1336 vehicles and a lot wont need the mod only stating facts, do wonder if some dealers try to put off warranty work.

It's a pity that OP did not have this fact when face to face with mechanic.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Currently sat in Trafford Van Centre while they check our moho for the recall.

Likewise a couple of weeks ago, same place and the same advice. I don't recall them saying don't drive it, but as a precaution I'm keeping the miles to a minimum. It's already done close to 6,000 since March and the only chassis issue we've had was the lightweight aluminium heat shield above the exhaust baffle becoming metal fatigued in the slipstream and breaking up. It's a known issue to keep an eye out for. No problem with the EGR pipe - yet.

I should add that Trafford will be a popular Fiat Professional destination with NW-based MH owners because Warrington and Knutsford don't have large enough service bays.

D

Dafydd 2

Deleted User
Following the letter from Fiat regarding the recall, I e-mailed the ‘Professional’ dealership in Swansa on December 13th to arrange the inspection of the EGR pipe. They responded on the 15th stating “....we will order the required parts and contact you....”. This morning, I telephoned to request an update. This time I was told that they couldn’t give me an inspection date owing to the volume of recalls. I was flabergasted and furthermore, if the inspection led to the need for remedial work, I was advised it could tke months to get sorted!

Not for the first time i’ve found this dealership to be useless and have just fired off a stinker to Fiat Customer Relations. Is this a potential safety issue or not? Clearly Swansea’s Fiat dealership is not particularly concerned. Fortunately, there is another family run dealership in West Wales, wich scheduled me in for next week. A lesson there methinks and it is they that will benefit from the routine servicing as well.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
be very careful about using your van when i had my egr pipe changed it had caused scorching to the alternator wiring which is very close

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We bought our :inlove: Winnebago :inlove: new in Sept 2010. Shortly after there was a recall from Workhorse, the chassis maker, for the front brakes, where apparently the pistons seized in the calipers. At the time we were at the show Americana, where I had three notes stuck on the windscreen form various dealers requesting the work. Ours went back to where it was purchased for repair, all in very little time, and we must be low down on the pecking order for bits, because many, many, American motorhome run on the W22 chassis.

Such long time scales is silly.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Took ours in last Thursday and was told I’d need the egr pipe replaced,(already knew because I’d taken it to a workshop in Spain) they said it was okay to drive and they could do it on the 15th of January, but as I’m off to Thailand on the 11th and not back until the 1st of March, I’ve got it booked in for the 2nd of March.

Mickey

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
The recall was only for 1336 vehicles and a lot wont need the mod only stating facts, do wonder if some dealers try to put off warranty work.
I did wonder if the '1366 affected units' declared by the VOSA recall is the number of affected UK vans, and there are similar recalls for each country, so the overall number of affected units is much larger?

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
I got a 2016 fix it again tomorrow (fiat) had no call back from the dealer do I have that problem as well ray xx not lol at this time until I know :banghead::banghead::swear::swear:

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
For those being told not to use the van, and it could take weeks, I wonder if the threat of rejecting the van to the dealer/ importer could elicit a more prompt response from fiat with a but of influence from the manufacturer?

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
What’s a - EGR - some may ask? If you get a letter like this in the post you have got one!!

Attachments

• Letter.jpg
    Letter.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
So which end of the pipe is the heat exchanger situated ?

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Not mechanically minded. Just copied the photo from a Fiat Forum which was out linning the fractured bracket.

I have now been waiting from the 19th December to get mine fixed. Dealer still waiting on parts. Have lodged a complaint with Fiat Professional Customer Care, will wait and see if this suddenly speeds things up.

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Well, after seeing on a Facebook post this morning that someone had their repair done yesterday, I got on the phone to Trafford Van Centre for an update. Some good news and some totally unbelievable news! The good news is they have got the heat exchangers in. "Great" thinks I, "soon be on the road again". Er, no. Dave tells me that they are now awaiting the EGR pipe. Hold on, rewind, thought they already had that last time we took it in :wondering:. No, the pipes they had in don't fit the new heat exchanger so they are waiting for the new pipes, should be in 1st or 2nd March. You couldn't make it up :whatthe:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Well, after seeing on a Facebook post this morning that someone had their repair done yesterday, I got on the phone to Trafford Van Centre for an update. Some good news and some totally unbelievable news! The good news is they have got the heat exchangers in. "Great" thinks I, "soon be on the road again". Er, no. Dave tells me that they are now awaiting the EGR pipe. Hold on, rewind, thought they already had that last time we took it in :wondering:. No, the pipes they had in don't fit the new heat exchanger so they are waiting for the new pipes, should be in 1st or 2nd March. You couldn't make it up :whatthe:

Crickey, that's really shocking Dianne. It's as if FIAT doesn't have a suitable and sustainable spares package in place.

I really feel for you guys.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
@Diggerdi I'm guessing the bit with the BORGWARNER sticker on is the heat exchanger as you can see a smaller (coolant ?) pipe coming off it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back