Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Morning all thinking about buying an Efoy can anyone please give me advice as to if they are worth buying and cost to run etc. Barrie

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have an Efoy 1600, had it for about 9 years . It has been used for 1723 hours. It packed up under warranty and it was collected, repaired and returned from Germany in 2 weeks, good service. Runnng costs I don't know I buy 4x5 litres at a time but don't know how long they last.Its worth its weight in gold off grid in winter

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
@Sundowners I think Nigel has one, as to are they worth having it depends on how you use your motorhome and when you use it.:D

I spoke to a german years ago who had one, and decided for what they cost and only provide 12v it was not for us, and went the generator and solar route, and now as we only do sunshine solar does us most of the time but we also have a 50amp stirling b 2 b and 3 x 85amp batteries. But if electric is available and included ;) we can then use our electric kettle which turns itself off. (y) Bob.

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi @Middy42 we have an Efoy Comfort 140,first thing they are crazy expensive(mine ex demo)as to there function,well its a fit and forget system in that once fitted to your leisure batts and a full carton of methanol it will do the rest.
The Efoy monitors your batteries and when they fall below 12.4v it fires up and charges your batts up to full charge(different rates for agm/gel or lead acid battery)it is very quiet.
As for the consumption its dependant on how much you use it,10ltrs will normally last me a full season and some winter use,last seen price was £96 for 2,they come packaged in 2s.
Are they worth it? no/yes well for me its the perfect back-up system as I never worry about getting electricity,even from my solars when the weather turns bad.
You really need very deep pockets, or if like me you had a crazy senior blonde moment.:cry::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Middy42

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Thank you for all your help. Middy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Morning all thinking about buying an Efoy can anyone please give me advice as to if they are worth buying and cost to run etc. Barrie
Are they worth buying? That depends really! As an alternative to solar absolutely not, as a get out of jail free (actually not free) card they are invaluable when the sun ain't shining or more importantly for me at least when the van is in inside storage it just sits there and makes sure everything is fully charges when I want it to start.

I guess it's just peace of mind that you have power if you want it and don't want to disturb other with a generator or running the engine for an hour.

Martin

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We have one, it would be used on top of he solar but has had very little use. It is however silent and I have no regrets about buying it

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We don't have one! But we are definitely going to get one on our return to the UK next year I should have sorted it before I left the UK but time constraints wouldn't allow.
We currently have 340 Solar and have been without EHU for 6 weeks without any problem, Coffee Machine,Kettle,Hair Dryer, Sat,Front Blind, Awning,Electric Bikes Charged etc etc, from U.K. Via Alps to Southern Spain so good Sun and moving on,
However, when we move without the Sun being available allowances have to be made,hence,EFOY.

It appears to be the ultimate solution to the constant supply of 240v in a MH.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
hi, we have an efoy on our moho, it was on it when we bought it. A great way of keeping the batteries topped up when the solar does not do its job. Would I buy it myself - probably not as it is an expensive way of keeping your batteries charged up - Sterling Battery to Battery does the job for about £650 installed rather than £2500+ for efoy. Regards Martin

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
hi, we have an efoy on our moho, it was on it when we bought it. A great way of keeping the batteries topped up when the solar does not do its job. Would I buy it myself - probably not as it is an expensive way of keeping your batteries charged up - Sterling Battery to Battery does the job for about £650 installed rather than £2500+ for efoy. Regards Martin
I believe this system is supported through the Alternator and since you need to be on the move isn't it the same as simply charging as normal when you are on the move?
The EFoy system supports your battery power when you are static for as much time you require.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
I thought you just needed the engine running

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
The Yank video bored me to death after 3 mins so I looked on their site quite impressive but for me I would want more info.
Not from the clowns in the video.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The Yank video bored me to death after 3 mins so I looked on their site quite impressive but for me I would want more info.
Not from the clowns in the video.
I emailed them and asked if they have a UK distributor

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you want a LPG powered fuel cell there is always the Truma VEGA, well there was anyway as it didn't catch on and seems to be discontinued, it promised more watts than the EFOY but more money at about £6500.

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I've been thinking about EFOY for a while now, but am wondering if increased battery capacity is a better option?

OP
OP
Middy42

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
Ok and thanks all so what about the Telair 480 small very quiet gas generator. Barrie
Underslung under the garage

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I had a reply to my email from WATT

Hi Robert,

Thank you for contacting WATT Fuel Cell about our Imperium product. We are currently looking to identify distributors.

The Imperium is currently in certification. In order to sell in commercial markets, including , the system requires certification. We anticipate certification to be completed at the end of 2017. The products will be available for sale after certification.

Please keep us in mind and check back then for further information on the purchase of the system.

Bob

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I've been thinking about EFOY for a while now, but am wondering if increased battery capacity is a better option?
Hi Robert

When do you envisage needing or using the EFOY, do you often run out of power?

My requirement was specifically to get us through spells of inside storage without a hook up, apart from that we might have used it "in the field" two or three times and that was when we just had two batteries and a few days of grey cloud.

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Robert

When do you envisage needing or using the EFOY, do you often run out of power?

My requirement was specifically to get us through spells of inside storage without a hook up, apart from that we might have used it "in the field" two or three times and that was when we just had two batteries and a few days of grey cloud.

Martin

Hi Martin
My setup on the old van was 320Ah battery capacity plus 480W of solar, plus a split charge relay which I'm guessing charged at 20A

We never ran out, but on a few occasions when it was cloudy and during the shorter winter days I had to reduce my consumption accordingly. Particularly if we were stationary for more than a day or so.

My set up for the new van (yet to be fitted and tested) is 540Ah batteries, as much solar as reasonably possible, and I'm fitting a 60A battery to battery charger, so I'm hoping that we've got a decent balance of generation and storage and that an EFOY would not be necessary.

As an aside, I'm leaving the factory fitted leisure battery in situ and adding a second independent battery bank in the garage purely for running my inverter.

At the end of this winter season I'll have a good idea if we need any added generation and at that point will consider a fuel cell, or maybe break up my trips with occasional stays on a campsite, purely to charge up the batteries.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin
My setup on the old van was 320Ah battery capacity plus 480W of solar, plus a split charge relay which I'm guessing charged at 20A

We never ran out, but on a few occasions when it was cloudy and during the shorter winter days I had to reduce my consumption accordingly. Particularly if we were stationary for more than a day or so.

My set up for the new van (yet to be fitted and tested) is 540Ah batteries, as much solar as reasonably possible, and I'm fitting a 60A battery to battery charger, so I'm hoping that we've got a decent balance of generation and storage and that an EFOY would not be necessary.

As an aside, I'm leaving the factory fitted leisure battery in situ and adding a second independent battery bank in the garage purely for running my inverter.

At the end of this winter season I'll have a good idea if we need any added generation and at that point will consider a fuel cell, or maybe break up my trips with occasional stays on a campsite, purely to charge up the batteries.
Robert

You should be pretty well covered but if you do get an EFOY you know they are silent(y) but don't put it under the head end of your bed as the pump is audible:love:

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back