EFB batteries. Best value battery technology? (1 Viewer)

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
A&N Caravan Services wrote a very convincing article about the Enhanced Flooded Battery (EFB) technology used in Yuasa L36-EFB, Varta LFD90, Bosch L5.

I've just installed two Yuasa L36-EFB, ordered from Alpha Batteries. P Shop around. Might be cheaper from Tayna? I think Alpha Batteries will also price match.

Does anyone else have these batteries? I'm wondering if the state of charge readings as suggested in the A&N article are correct. See below graphic table. They say for these batteries, consult the column labeled "Sealed VRLA".

Battery%20state%20of%20Charge%20Chart.jpg

After using them for about a week my feeling is that 100% is 12.9v and 75% is 12.6v. Anyone else know? I don't have a battery monitor, so if you anyone has the NASA BM-1 or similar and could give me voltage readings mapped to % state of charge, that would be helpful.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Think Allan advises that full charge voltage isn't initially realised until after at least 10 cycles. Be patient !!!

I have varta LFD90's, 2 years old, and get 13.0 volts after full charge as recorded on a BM-1.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I fitted 4 x LFD90 batteries in the moho in July and my BM1 compact is showing 90% and 12.8v at the moment. However, I have reset the monitor a number of times to try and set the charge/discharge reading as it shows the batteries as charging when there is no power being input either via solar or hookup. Also when the backlight is illuminated this also changes the readings. So it's not a very reliable unit tbh though when the backlight is off the reading appears to be the most accurate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Measuring State of Charge by the off load voltage is more of a guide than an exact science. The voltage will vary depending on temperature you will get the most accurate results at 20°C.

You will get the most accurate results measuring with the battery disconnect and allowed to settle for an hour before taking the measurements.

Also if you have left them connected when you took the measurements the voltage will be slightly lower as the Motorhome circuits even in standby will be drawing a few hundred millamps.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've also fitted a couple of L36EFBs on the back of Alan's recent advice and so far I think they are tip-too for what we need them for; i.e. off grid motorhoming with a compressor fridge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back